The Student Room Group

How many of you are dual nationals or more?

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Reply 21
UK and Overseas Citizenship of India.

Despite the misleading name, it's not full citizenship of India :lol:
It does give me the right to go there as and when I want, live there for however long i want, work, start a business, own property etc.
The only things I can't do is own agricultural land or stand for election. Not that I'd want to do either anyway :laugh:
Portuguese and have an OCI :smile:

Will be attempting to get British citizenship soon :tongue:
Whoops - sorry! I didn't realise that you had to have a passport from somewhere to be considered a 'dual national', so I voted for 2 instead of 1. If this is for research (I'm guessing that it might be because of the deadline for the poll), please take my mistake into account.
UK and Mauritius

Reply 26
Original post by Banana00
Whoops - sorry! I didn't realise that you had to have a passport from somewhere to be considered a 'dual national', so I voted for 2 instead of 1. If this is for research (I'm guessing that it might be because of the deadline for the poll), please take my mistake into account.

You dont have to hold a passport, if youre registered with the government as a citizen thats fine =]
Original post by Snufkin
Is it really worth having though? Unless you plan on living there in the future (and why would you want to), then I can't see any value in having a US passport. US citizens who live abroad have to pay American income tax!

Original post by 34908seikj
I didn't know that. I guess the thought of having an American passport sounds cool. Nothings set in stone and obviously I still have to consider a lot of things [like American tax].

Tax aside American citizenship does have certain perks; its the most powerful passport isnt it?
Excellent consular assistance
if i recall they dont extradite their citizens?
Original post by Napp
Tax aside American citizenship does have certain perks; its the most powerful passport isnt it?

I wouldn't have thought that a US passport is particularly powerful. Swiss passports are supposed to be the most coveted, and German and Swedish passports give you the most visa-free access.
United Kingdom and Argentina!
Original post by Napp
You dont have to hold a passport, if youre registered with the government as a citizen thats fine =]

It's actually not, IIRC the UK is like 2nd or 3rd most powerful, while the US is pretty far down, like 11th.

Edit: See here, the US is the 5th most powerful passport, where as the UK is 2nd.

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Snufkin
I wouldn't have thought that a US passport is particularly powerful. Swiss passports are supposed to be the most coveted, and German and Swedish passports give you the most visa-free access.

Aye essentially any country thats In the west and either is or originally was european :L
Americas at 4 apparently
Just Israeli but been in the UK long enough to get a tasty student loan
My mother has a Nigerian and a United Kingdom passport. All of my other family members and myself only have a UK passport.
Reply 33
UK/Spain

But only have a Spanish passport
Uk/Netherlands
Ah, that wonderful thing known as an OCI. Beautiful.
Original post by 34908seikj
I didn't know that. I guess the thought of having an American passport sounds cool. Nothings set in stone and obviously I still have to consider a lot of things [like American tax].

What's the rationale behind that?
Original post by Juichiro

American citizens have to pay US tax on their income (anything over ~$96k/year) even if they don't live in the US. Some countries have tax agreements though (like the UK) where you only pay whichever tax agreement works out as being more - i.e. usually the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NL/UK
Original post by Juichiro

What do you mean?

I mentioned American tax as it's something I'd have to pay if I were to become a US citizen

Quick Reply

Latest