The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
what's ridiculous is you comparing a biological, primitive urge to a conscious choice lmaooo is homosexuality a teaching just like islam is? is there a book of homosexuality, whose specific pages you disagree with? no. it's a sexual orientation and your petty ass has a problem with it.

Having gay sex is a conscious choice :colonhash: being a religious follower is also a conscious choice, thus, the two can be compared.

If someone follows a religion that doesn't accept homosexuality, then it's quite frankly none of your business. Just like being gay is not affecting anybody, neither is having an opinion about it.
Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

If you think that being gay is 'wrong', then you're homophobic.

If you can't understand why people are gay - then you're just a not terribly empathetic straight person. As in, I can't understand why some girls are lesbians, since I'm not attracted to girls but I can understand that some girls are lesbians and will support their rights to love and be loved as much as possibly can, just as I know that they'll support me - despite the fact that they also won't understand why I'm attracted to guys. And that's really all okay, so long as we all support each other. :smile:

Now in terms of your actual arguments - can one agree with your view that men and women are 'made for each other'? In terms of reproductive purposes, they are, I suppose. However, there's a lot more to love and relationships than making babies, so the above argument becomes a bit invalid. Then there's also the fact that the line between what constitutes a man or a woman is becoming more and more blurred, so although you might be normally attracted to just men or just women, never rule out the option of falling for someone else.

All in all, so long as you're ready to support the LGBT+ community, you're not homophobic. Saying that you think it's 'wrong' isn't supportive however. Kudos to you though for asking about it :smile:
do what you want but you can't both disagree with homosexual acts and still act like you're not homophobic lol

i don't see how not agreeing with homesexual acts is homophobic?
Reply 223
[QUOTE=cherryred90s;66326162]It's also none of your business if someone chooses to disagree with what you do.
Unless I'm mistaken OP was seeking a view - wasn't that the point of his post.

People can think what they like. I'm not keen on promoting a view that homosexuality is negative, wrong, unnatural etc and particularly because until quite recently that view was mainstream and more frequently than now led to bullying and discrimination.
I never understand the phrase "I don't agree with homosexuality", it's like saying "I don't agree with pickles", the pickles haven't voiced an opinion they simply exist.
Original post by Zarek
Absolutely serious. Arguments would be better than insults. But as to your gambling analogy I agree that you should mind your own business about what people choose to do if it has no relevance to anyone else. And I am not sure how homosexuality could be a negative pastime accept in the eyes of opinionated people.

Sorry I misread your original post, I thought when you said "it's absolutely none of your business to express a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else" I thought you meant "it's none of your business to hold a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else"

To me it just seems that those who argue most strongly for people to be open-minded towards their LGBT sexualities are the most dictatorial to those who don't openly embrace them, which always seems a bit hypocritical to me
Reply 226
[QUOTE=Architecture-er;66326858]Sorry I misread your original post, I thought when you said "it's absolutely none of your business to express a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else" I thought you meant "it's none of your business to hold a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else"

To me it just seems that those who argue most strongly for people to be open-minded towards their LGBT sexualities are the most dictatorial to those who don't openly embrace them, which always seems a bit hypocritical to me
Thanks. But remember that gay people have and even now face some awful things. Hard, I imagine for heterosexuals to comprehend. It is a pleasure for me to have realised how wrong this is and to see the tide turn. Ireland voting for gay marriage was for me evidence of a revolution.
No, it makes you an awful thing called "Heterosexual".
Original post by cherryred90s
Having gay sex is a conscious choice :colonhash: being a religious follower is also a conscious choice, thus, the two can be compared.

If someone follows a religion that doesn't accept homosexuality, then it's quite frankly none of your business. Just like being gay is not affecting anybody, neither is having an opinion about it.

Except I never said I disagree with someone being a religious follower, yet you've clearly said you disagree with people having gay sex. Being against a religious teaching is not the same as being against someone PRACTISING that religious teaching. But being against someone PRACTISING gay sex is basically you saying "hey, be gay but don't do anything about it because it's untraditional and "away from the norm" ".

AND THERE IT IS. It's none of your ****ing business if someone has gay sex, so why the hell do you disagree with it? Oh that's right, because you're a homophobe.
Original post by Gwilym101
I never understand the phrase "I don't agree with homosexuality", it's like saying "I don't agree with pickles", the pickles haven't voiced an opinion they simply exist.

Exactly. Idiots are saying "disagreeing" with homosexual acts can be likened to "disagreeing" with lines of the Q'uran. Now, which one of these is a hypothetical concept written in a book, and which is a natural, physical response to a biological urge???? Jesus Christ, how stupid can this website get
Except I never said I disagree with someone being a religious follower, yet you've clearly said you disagree with people having gay sex. Being against a religious teaching is not the same as being against someone PRACTISING that religious teaching. But being against someone PRACTISING gay sex is basically you saying "hey, be gay but don't do anything about it because it's untraditional and "away from the norm" ".

AND THERE IT IS. It's none of your ****ing business if someone has gay sex, so why the hell do you disagree with it? Oh that's right, because you're a homophobe.

Likewise, I never said I disagree with someone being gay. They're within their right to be gay, it's not a crime.
You disagree with the teachings that religious believers follow. Some disagree with the intimacy that gay people subject themselves to.

It's none of my business if someone has gay sex, and it's none of your business if someone disagrees with their lifestyle. End of Tanya.
Exactly. Idiots are saying "disagreeing" with homosexual acts can be likened to "disagreeing" with lines of the Q'uran. Now, which one of these is a hypothetical concept written in a book, and which is a natural, physical response to a biological urge???? Jesus Christ, how stupid can this website get

Ah, insulting people for disagreeing with you, I love it
Original post by oShahpo
No, it makes you an awful thing called "Heterosexual".

:laugh:
Likewise, I never said I disagree with someone being gay. They're within their right to be gay, it's not a crime.
You disagree with the teachings that religious believers follow. Some disagree with the intimacy that gay people subject themselves to.

It's none of my business if someone has gay sex, and it's none of your business if someone disagrees with their lifestyle. End of Tanya.

The intimacy that gay people subject themselves to? Could you expand on that, please? I want to believe that you're not homophobic, but you're making it difficult to when you say things like this.
The intimacy that gay people subject themselves to? Could you expand on that, please? I want to believe that you're not homophobic, but you're making it difficult to when you say things like this.

GAY SEX. It's okay to have gay sex, it's also okay to disagree with it. Both are choices
GAY SEX. It's okay to have gay sex, it's also okay to disagree with it. Both are choices

Can I ask why you disagree with gay sex? Can I also ask why you think it's okay to disagree with gay sex?
Can I ask why you disagree with gay sex? Can I also ask why you think it's okay to disagree with gay sex?

People disagree for varying reasons. They may be religious, it may not be accepted in their culture, they may have developed their own opinion about it as they age.

I don't care if someone has gay sex, and you shouldn't care if someone disagrees with it
People disagree for varying reasons. They may be religious, it may not be accepted in their culture, they may have developed their own opinion about it as they age.

I don't care if someone has gay sex, and you shouldn't care if someone disagrees with it

No, I'm asking YOU why YOU disagree with gay sex. What is it about gay sex that you disagree with? Please just give me a straight answer (if you'll pardon the pun). I'm fairly sure that you are homophobic. I just need to know why at this point.
No, I'm asking YOU why YOU disagree with gay sex. What is it about gay sex that you disagree with? Please just give me a straight answer (if you'll pardon the pun). I'm fairly sure that you are homophobic. I just need to know why at this point.

I don't disagree, nor do I agree, I understand both views. I suppose the reason for this is because I grew up religious, but I realised that people can do whatever the hell they want. I'm nobody to walk up to a gay person and tell them they'll go to hell. You're also nobody to demand answers from me just because I disagreed with you
I don't disagree, nor do I agree, I understand both views. I suppose the reason for this is because I grew up religious, but I realised that people can do whatever the hell they want. I'm nobody to walk up to a gay person and tell them they'll go to hell. You're also nobody to demand answers from me just because I disagreed with you

I grew up religious too - extremely so. That's no excuse to be "understanding" of intolerance. There's nothing to understand about people disagreeing with homosexuality other than the fact that they're homophobic.

Btw, you have said previously that you disagree with homosexual acts, and now you've suddenly changed your tune and said that you neither agree nor disagree. I find that pretty disingenuous, but each to their own.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending