The Student Room Group

Government responds to second EU referendum petition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MildredMalone
Weren't a huge number of those "signatures" found to be fraudulant?

I suppose a small numer were found to be fraudulent but at the end of the day over 4 million people signed the petition so whether somewhere fraudulent or not a lot of people were unhappy with the referendum outcome
Reply 21
Original post by Jammy Duel
Let's just ignore the illegitimate "signatories" for a moment and assume every single signature was a legitimate UK resident, you're still not even a quarter of the way to 17.4m who voted leave, come back again when you have your 17,410,743rd legitimate UK signature (from an over 18)

I assume you failed basic maths? 16,141,241 voted to remain pretty sure thats more than a quarter and not a number you can easily ignore.

Original post by ckfeister
awwww someone doesn't like democracy anymore? The 4 million is spam bots, remainers who are crying.th.jpeg

How old are you, 12? Go back to sleep I might consider the possibility of your opinion being worth a damn when you can actually vote )
Original post by Napp
I assume you failed basic maths? 16,141,241 voted to remain pretty sure thats more than a quarter and not a number you can easily ignore.

How old are you, 12? Go back to sleep I might consider the possibility of your opinion being worth a damn when you can actually vote )

I'm 18 years old and voted out.
Reply 23
I'm 18 years old and voted out.

What do you want a meddle?
Original post by an_atheist
But the 17-18 million people who voted leave dont count then? The country voted, the majority said leave. Simple as. Dont like it, leave

The leave campaign states that if the referendum was a close call ( which lets face it, it was 51.9: 49.1) they would call for a second referendum. Surely the remain campaign should be extended the same privilege by calling for a second referendum - it certainly makes more sense. I understand that the referendum embodies democracy, but the leave victors cannot now be hypocritical and disallow the second referendum that would have been called for if the tables were turned. Also people shouldn't be forced out of their own country because of an issue such as this - perhaps a compromise would be the best thing? Leaving the EU, but still remaining close links with Europe. I think that's what the petition is calling for - a cry for attention stating that we should not abandon our European allies.
Reply 25
Original post by generallee
You seem a really bright guy so I am astounded by this.

Do you seriously believe that parliament (full of totally out of touch, bubble, establishment politicians held in the profoundest, deepest, disgust and contempt by the electorate) dare overturn this referendum?

If a petition gets more than 100,000 signatories then it may lead to a debate. Fact.

That's the point about petitions. I'll be interested to see if it is granted a debate, and if so the debate is more important than the government's written response. Fact.

And if you are so disparaging about parliament why was "sovereignty" the #1 reason for Leavers voting to leave. Fact.

Why are you afraid of democracy and our democratic process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Napp

Go back to sleep I might consider the possibility of your opinion being worth a damn when you can actually vote )

Do you seriously think anybody gives a damn what your opinion is on Brexit?

Seriously?

You had your vote for continued serfdom, but more people voted for freedom. Isn't democracy wonderful? :biggrin:

You lost. We are leaving the EU. Deal with it and grow up.
No wonder why people say the European Union is undemocratic - take a look at countries like Greece, Italy, Ireland, Portugal and Spain and see what the EU has done for them in the past decade.
Original post by Napp
What do you want a meddle?

"
How old are you, 12? Go back to sleep I might consider the possibility of your opinion being worth a damn when you can actually vote ) "

the irony
Original post by Napp

Hmmm, I suggest you look at the actual petition data, you would see this:

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":3963624}

What that means is that there were only 3963624 people who claimed to be from the UK signing, which, unless you're still failing at basic arithmetic, I don't need to say is less than a quarter of remain votes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
If a petition gets more than 100,000 signatories then it may lead to a debate. Fact.

That's the point about petitions. I'll be interested to see if it is granted a debate, and if so the debate is more important than the government's written response. Fact.

And if you are so disparaging about parliament why was "sovereignty" the #1 reason for Leavers voting to leave. Fact.

Why are you afraid of democracy and our democratic process?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not. Have your debate, who cares?

Just don't think that Parliament can overturn this vote in that debate. It ain't going to happen, they are stupid and out of touch, but not that stupid

When the train of history comes rushing towards you as you stand on the track you can step aside and watch it rush past or get squashed.

Which is it to be?
Reply 31
Do you seriously think anybody gives a damn what your opinion is on Brexit?

Seriously?

You had your vote for continued serfdom, but more people voted for freedom. Isn't democracy wonderful? :biggrin:

You lost. We are leaving the EU. Deal with it and grow up.

Mmm say's the person getting angry over the internet?
Do you even know what a serf was?
Apparently not you seem to be cherry picking it :L
Mmm i'm not sure I did? When this country goes tits up due to the proles I can simply move on my other passport )
Reply 32
Original post by Jammy Duel
Hmmm, I suggest you look at the actual petition data, you would see this:

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":3963624}

What that means is that there were only 3963624 people who claimed to be from the UK signing, which, unless you're still failing at basic arithmetic, I don't need to say is less than a quarter of remain votes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No i'm pretty sure it was a smidge over 16 million who voted to remain not who signed the petition asking for the vote to be done over so there would be a solid majority not only a couple of point difference.
You might want to read my posts more carefully instead of trying to be a smart ass to something that isnt there.
Original post by Napp
Mmm say's the person getting angry over the internet?
Do you even know what a serf was?
Apparently not you seem to be cherry picking it :L
Mmm i'm not sure I did? When this country goes tits up due to the proles I can simply move on my other passport )

Yeah I know what a Serf was. I have read my nineteenth century Russian literature, which is more than you have, I'll bet.
Reply 34
How was it a mistake silly, democracy won. Go to China if you want undemocratic see how long you last. NOT RESPONDING ANYMORE

Not even to finish your sentence with a period?

You are in a hurry to leave this discussion :wink:
Reply 35
Yeah I know what a Serf was. I have read my nineteenth century Russian literature, which is more than you have, I'll bet.

Hmm so you did an AS module and brushed over the reforms that 'freed' the serfs? You should feel oh so proud of yourself..
It is most drole when people like you go out on a limb and assume something to try and make an insult out of it.. suffice to say im willing to bet a lot of money that im somewhat more well versed than you in this area.
Reply 36
"Once in a generation."

I'll be counting down the days until the next one then.
Original post by Napp
No i'm pretty sure it was a smidge over 16 million who voted to remain not who signed the petition asking for the vote to be done over so there would be a solid majority not only a couple of point difference.
You might want to read my posts more carefully instead of trying to be a smart ass to something that isnt there.

You might want to take your own advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Napp
Hmm so you did an AS module and brushed over the reforms that 'freed' the serfs? You should feel oh so proud of yourself..
It is most drole when people like you go out on a limb and assume something to try and make an insult out of it.. suffice to say im willing to bet a lot of money that im somewhat more well versed than you in this area.

I have an Oxford history degree as it goes.

What is your qualification to opine about Russian history?
Original post by offhegoes
Not even to finish your sentence with a period?

You are in a hurry to leave this discussion :wink:

Don't want to be dragged into responding 50 replies on this forum like others.

Quick Reply

Latest