The Student Room Group

Article: What happens to my exam paper?

Your exam paper doesn't just go into the void for two months until you get your results - have a look at our fancy info-graphic to see the route your exam paper takes after you've finished your exams.

You can have a look here.
Very interesting - thank you! :h::h:
Two questions:

It says that if an examiner is not marking correctly, they have to improve or they can't mark anymore. But what happens to all the scripts they've already mucked up?

Also, there's a section about UMS. How will the marks 'represent the same standard every year' when there is no UMS anymore?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Two questions:

It says that if an examiner is not marking correctly, they have to improve or they can't mark anymore. But what happens to all the scripts they've already mucked up?

Also, there's a section about UMS. How will the marks 'represent the same standard every year' when there is no UMS anymore?

Normally, the scripts the examiners have mucked up go to another examiner (sometimes the senior examiner/leader) to be remarked before results day. Has UMS been scrapped?:angry: :s-smilie:
Original post by sulaimanali
Has UMS been scrapped?:angry: :s-smilie:

Yes, it has. They say that there is no longer a need for it because it was was only needed so that you could put together AS results from year 1 and A2 results in year 2 to a total result.

But that completely ignores how they're going to maintain standards year on year. I also have absolutely no idea how A* grades are worked out now. Not to mention what's going to happen to Cambridge's Supplementary Application Questionnaire, which relied on UMS results.
Yes, it has. They say that there is no longer a need for it because it was was only needed so that you could put together AS results from year 1 and A2 results in year 2 to a total result.

But that completely ignores how they're going to maintain standards year on year. I also have absolutely no idea how A* grades are worked out now. Not to mention what's going to happen to Cambridge's Supplementary Application Questionnaire, which relied on UMS results.

Oh flipping hell. Screw them! Yeah I agree with you...this "maintaining standards" BS is now going to mess up..
Interesting thread
Pretty self-explanatory
Two questions:

See comment below - a senior examiner will remark all the scripts.

There will no longer be UMS for reformed linear A levels. Senior examiners will keep marking consistent by comparing this year's scripts to previous years at grades A and E (as they do now).

Normally, the scripts the examiners have mucked up go to another examiner (sometimes the senior examiner/leader) to be remarked before results day. Has UMS been scrapped?:angry: :s-smilie:

See comment above re maintaining standards. A* boundaries will be set by senior examiners 'using predictions based on the cohort's prior attainment at GCSE' (Ofqual). I'm not sure how this will be worked out in practice.

Oh flipping hell. Screw them! Yeah I agree with you...this "maintaining standards" BS is now going to mess up..

Hopefully it shouldn't but it will be tricky in the first couple of years of the new system.

Hopefully this makes things a bit clearer but it's a complicated and tricky situation during the transitional period.
Reply 9
The bit about teachers having to wait 24 hours to see the paper is only true for certain centres. The official policy is that papers can be released to teachers as soon as the last candidate in that centre finishes. I know because in some cases I've come out of an exam and had a copy of the paper within 20 minutes of finishing.
Original post by marioman
The bit about teachers having to wait 24 hours to see the paper is only true for certain centres. The official policy is that papers can be released to teachers as soon as the last candidate in that centre finishes. I know because in some cases I've come out of an exam and had a copy of the paper within 20 minutes of finishing.

WOW!!!!!! never realised that
I lost my faith in exam marking last year when one of my AS papers had the marks added up wrong . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
i like this
What happens to papers after they have been marked/after results day? are they thrown away? Stored? How does that work?
Original post by AvocadosConstant
What happens to papers after they have been marked/after results day? are they thrown away? Stored? How does that work?

They are stored for a while, then most of the papers are destroyed after the deadline for remarks. A sample is kept for reference when setting future grade boundaries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending