The Student Room Group

Government responds to second EU referendum petition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Manchester_123
Lol, that was a troll. I voted leave and am so proud about it. The best part about it is seeing the faces of people like you and reminding you that you lost.

P.S. How does it feel to lose?

Oh i'm sure it was.
Now didn't you just insinuate you're older than 'us youngens' so that leaves me wondering what some dirty old codger is doing on a forum where the mean age cant be far north of 20. That does speak vollumes :smile:
Oh and you've never seen my face, you dont even know my name :L
I wouldn't know as I havent lost anything?
Original post by Napp
Oh i'm sure it was.
Now didn't you just insinuate you're older than 'us youngens' so that leaves me wondering what some dirty old codger is doing on a forum where the mean age cant be far north of 20. That does speak vollumes :smile:
Oh and you've never seen my face, you dont even know my name :L
I wouldn't know as I havent lost anything?

What are you on about? I'm a university student aged 20 LMFAO. I refer to you younger generation because I don't feel part of a petty childish immature lot who would rather party on drugs all day than actually vote, then with no knowledge of politics cry about the result. I'm not like you lot. I personally enjoy politics, Tony Benn converted me years ago to a leave voter. My decision was made years before the referendum. I will not have people who can't even name the damn prime minister tell me what's right for this country. Young people are incredibly stupid and this result proves it
Reply 82
What are you on about? I'm a university student aged 20 LMFAO. I refer to you younger generation because I don't feel part of a petty childish immature lot who would rather party on drugs all day than actually vote, then with no knowledge of politics cry about the result. I'm not like you lot. I personally enjoy politics, Tony Benn converted me years ago to a leave voter. My decision was made years before the referendum. I will not have people who can't even name the damn prime minister tell me what's right for this country. Young people are incredibly stupid and this result proves it

Oh that does speak vollumes about what kind of person you are :L
seeing as out of the two of us only one is a politics graduate and it isnt you...
hmm so you voted to leave and the leaves had it yet you conclude your hissy fit by saying that the leave result is 'incredibly stupid'. You're a smart one arent you champ (Y)
Original post by Napp
Oh that does speak vollumes about what kind of person you are :L
seeing as out of the two of us only one is a politics graduate and it isnt you...
hmm so you voted to leave and the leaves had it yet you conclude your hissy fit by saying that the leave result is 'incredibly stupid'. You're a smart one arent you champ (Y)

You proved my point. LMAO. This result proves how pathetic our generation is. Makes me more the merrier when I get to rub the victory in your face. Remember this, I can go to sleep as a winner, while you lost the result and there is nothing you can do about it :wink:. Sweet dreams baby 😘
Well I'm just not sure what you're looking for in a response. They could have easily said 'this will be debated in parliament.' They're not going to say 'Thank you, the second EU referendum will go ahead.' Or anything so definitive for that matter. I just want to know what you would be looking for in a response.

Original post by Napp
What do you want a meddle?

They probably didn't, but I gave them a rep. Close enough :wink:
Reply 85
You proved my point. LMAO. This result proves how pathetic our generation is. Makes me more the merrier when I get to rub the victory in your face. Remember this, I can go to sleep as a winner, while you lost the result and there is nothing you can do about it :wink:. Sweet dreams baby 😘

Mate you're coming across as seriously weird :L you seem to be getting turned on celebrating something you had no part in...
You have fun with your 'win' :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by ChargingStag
Well I'm just not sure what you're looking for in a response. They could have easily said 'this will be debated in parliament.' They're not going to say 'Thank you, the second EU referendum will go ahead.' Or anything so definitive for that matter. I just want to know what you would be looking for in a response.

They probably didn't, but I gave them a rep. Close enough :wink:

To start with not writing it in almost the exact same style as a job rejection letter :P

But my main gripe with it is disregarding the opinion of millions of Britains, i'm all for democracy but we have about 1/4 not voting and only a couple of point difference in the result... Its a dubious win especially given Farage said he wouldnt accept such a result to start with. But yeah the problem in this instance is whilst remain are the minority theyre only that by a fraction which in itselfive
Original post by Napp
But my main gripe with it is disregarding the opinion of millions of Britains

No-one has disregarded the opinion of millions of Britains. They ALL got a vote and more voted to Leave than Remain. The established democratic process was followed, fairly and to the letter. Leave won.

Original post by Napp
i'm all for democracy

You are clearly not all for democracy because you are in favour of subverting it for your own end. No-one who is asking for a 2nd referendum supports democracy.

Original post by Napp
Its a dubious win especially given Farage said he wouldnt accept such a result to start with.

It's not a dubious win at all. More voted Leave than Remain. That's the process. Farage has nothing to do with it. The rules of a referendum are laid down in law/statute. They have to be followed and they were.
It would not matter if the Leavers won by ONE SINGLE VOTE. The process is, the majority win the vote.

If you are unhappy about the 17+ million people who voted and that they only won by a small margin you need to direct your efforts and energies towards changing the laws governing referendums. Currently you and a load of other idiots are petitioning for a 2nd referendum (totally undemocratic, shameful and a total embarrassment to your generation). What you should be petitioning for is a change to the law of referendums for any future referendum. You can do that because democracy exists. You can petition and have parliament debate the rules on referendums. If you take away democracy you just have to get what you are given.

Original post by Napp

But yeah the problem in this instance is whilst remain are the minority theyre only that by a fraction

It makes no difference what that fraction is. A majority is a majority.

If you got pulled over by the police for drink driving and they breathalised you and it came back 35% when the acceptable limit is 30%, it's no good crying and whinging like a baby that you only failed by 5%. The rule is 30% end of. If you don't like that either try to get the law changed to up the % or get the hell out of dodge and go and live in an undemocratic country.
Why don't just let those Brexiters do control UK? Let them show off the new policies. Those patriots might make UK greater than US. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
No-one has disregarded the opinion of millions of Britains. They ALL got a vote and more voted to Leave than Remain. The established democratic process was followed, fairly and to the letter. Leave won.

Get a dictionary, by definition the minority vote is discarded.

You are clearly not all for democracy because you are in favour of subverting it for your own end. No-one who is asking for a 2nd referendum supports democracy.

Oh this should be good, pray tell how exactly im perverting it? I said i simply favour another referendum being held, which is not by a long shot against democracy.

It's not a dubious win at all. More voted Leave than Remain. That's the process. Farage has nothing to do with it. The rules of a referendum are laid down in law/statute. They have to be followed and they were.
It would not matter if the Leavers won by ONE SINGLE VOTE. The process is, the majority win the vote.

No rules governed this referendum.Do you even know what a referendum is? The only thing guarenteeing the outcome is abided by is parliament/PM being honest. A referendum is little more than a glorified opinion poll which does not have to be acted on.

To oppose the result is to take the stance of a fascist. If you are unhappy about the 17+ million people who voted and that they only won by a small margin you need to direct your efforts and energies towards changing the laws governing referendums. Currently you and a load of other idiots are petitioning for a 2nd referendum (totally undemocratic, shameful and a total embarrassment to your generation). What you should be petitioning for is a change to the law of referendums for any future referendum. You can do that because democracy exists. You can petition and have parliament debate the rules on referendums. If you take away democracy you just have to get what you are given.

I'm really starting to doubt you have a clue what you're talking about. Do you actually know fascism is? Because you just tarred half of the EU countries as fascist.
Oh we're the idiots? oh that is cute coming from the mentally subnormal who ran a campaign on NOTHING but lies. I'm struggling to think what promise they could keep. The NHS wont get £350m thrown at it, Britain wont be able to just ditch the EU rules without loosing the perks to, you halfwits crashed the pound and stock markets around the world. Hell half of your campaigns leaders have jumped ship.

If you got pulled over by the police for drink driving and they breathalised you and it came back 35% when the acceptable limit is 30%, it's no good crying and whinging like a baby that you only failed by 5%. The rule is 30% end of. If you don't like that either try to get the law changed to up the % or get the hell out of dodge and go and live in an undemocratic country.

That is the most ridiculous comparison i have ever heard. Compring voting to drink driving.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth

To oppose the result is to take the stance of a fascist. If you are unhappy about the 17+ million people who voted and that they only won by a small margin you need to direct your efforts and energies towards changing the laws governing referendums. Currently you and a load of other idiots are petitioning for a 2nd referendum (totally undemocratic, shameful and a total embarrassment to your generation). What you should be petitioning for is a change to the law of referendums for any future referendum. You can do that because democracy exists. You can petition and have parliament debate the rules on referendums. If you take away democracy you just have to get what you are given.

Don't waste your time on him. He stated in another thread that the reason he is upset about the result is because and I quote "holidays and flights will be more expensive". This fool has no interest in democracy, sovereignty, EU parliament proceedings, the EU commission, the EU council, the EU bank, the Eurozone and all other EU related areas. He is just another child upset about his holidays to Spanish resorts
Even sweeter than the result are the Remain tears,
Time to accept we are leaving.
I call on my fellow remainers to make the best of the situation and not burn it all down just to prove we were right.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468035703.759029.jpg

Sums this thread up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1998RF
The leave campaign states that if the referendum was a close call ( which lets face it, it was 51.9: 49.1) they would call for a second referendum. Surely the remain campaign should be extended the same privilege by calling for a second referendum - it certainly makes more sense. I understand that the referendum embodies democracy, but the leave victors cannot now be hypocritical and disallow the second referendum that would have been called for if the tables were turned. Also people shouldn't be forced out of their own country because of an issue such as this - perhaps a compromise would be the best thing? Leaving the EU, but still remaining close links with Europe. I think that's what the petition is calling for - a cry for attention stating that we should not abandon our European allies.

Was it actually the leave campaign who called for that, or was it a comment by Nigel Farage? I remember Farage saying something like that but not anyone else.

If the leave side had lost and then immediately called for another referendum, they would not be getting any sympathy from the remain side or even from a lot of leave voters. I'm getting a bit sick of this "but the leave side wanted a second referendum if they lost too" argument appearing all over the place - even if they wanted it they would not get it, and quite rightly. They would still face the same criticism and mocking that some remain voters calling for a second referendum now face.
Original post by paul514
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468035703.759029.jpg

Sums this thread up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that is true, I will be crying

Its one of the worst times in my UK political history.

Hundreds and thousands of peoples jobs will be lost, perhaps millions all over europe. mortgage arrears, house repossessions

thousands of tradesmen out of work as people will no longer be able to afford plumbers, painters and decorators, electricians

Recession is often followed by crime waves..

Yes, it is time to cry..
The truth of the matter 36% of UK voted leave and 64% did not vote to leave.
What this means is difficult to say.
Lol, that was a troll. I voted leave and am so proud about it. The best part about it is seeing the faces of people like you and reminding you that you lost.

P.S. How does it feel to lose?

Dude... We have all lost.
Original post by TurboCretin
Dude... We have all lost.

Indeed.
36% voted leave, 64% did not vote leave.
Now even many of the 36% are changing their minds.

London, Scotland, Manchester, Northern Ireland all voted stay. How can we protect their rights and give Hull and Wales what they want too?

Even Boris right at the very beginning suggested that there would be another chance after this vote to vote differently.

That view set could easily account for 10% of LEAVE voters
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Was it actually the leave campaign who called for that, or was it a comment by Nigel Farage? I remember Farage saying something like that but not anyone else.

If the leave side had lost and then immediately called for another referendum, they would not be getting any sympathy from the remain side or even from a lot of leave voters. I'm getting a bit sick of this "but the leave side wanted a second referendum if they lost too" argument appearing all over the place - even if they wanted it they would not get it, and quite rightly. They would still face the same criticism and mocking that some remain voters calling for a second referendum now face.

Rather than the campaign, the petition was set up by a Leave voter before the votes were counted back in May, when it was thought Remain would win. I'm not sure how many people signed it at that point though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest