The Student Room Group

Yoga and Meditation can prevent deadly diseases

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Steamof
Hmm. Where does it say that?

In the article...
(both in the paragraph I bolded and what you yourself quoted)
Reply 21
Original post by RobML
From the article:

Scientists still don’t know for sure whether telomeres are involved in regulating disease, but there is early evidence that suggests shortened telomeres are associated with the likelihood of surviving several diseases, including breast cancer, as well as cellular ageing. And longer telomeres are generally thought to help protect us from disease.

Original post by TheReader
Then shortening of telomeres should prevent cancer. Your claims seem to counteract each other.

You know what, taking a second glance at it it seems like ive misunderstood the second one. But, its talking about it in a different context so doesnt contradict the first article. The second one is about targetting the cancer cells artificially through less telomarase which isnt really the point of the first article
Reply 22
Original post by TheReader
Then shortening of telomeres should prevent cancer. Your claims seem to counteract each other.

Original post by RobML
I mean, I'm confused because the article states meditation can stop telomeres from shortening, but then says shortened telomeres can prevent diseases including breat cancer

Take a look now :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by Steamof
Take a look now :wink:

The article still makes this claim:
shortened telomeres are associated with the likelihood of surviving several diseases, including breast cancer, as well as cellular ageing
Quite confusing.
Reply 24
Original post by RobML
The article still makes this claim:
shortened telomeres are associated with the likelihood of surviving several diseases, including breast cancer, as well as cellular ageing
Quite confusing.

Yes. What that basically means is the shorter the telomerers the less the likelihood. It doesnt say shortened telomers = more likelihood of surviving. It just means theres a relationship but they havent specified that relationship in that sentence.
Reply 25
Original post by Steamof
Yes. What that basically means is the shorter the telomerers the less the likelihood. It doesnt say shortened telomers = more likelihood of surviving. It just means theres a relationship but they havent specified that relationship in that sentence.

Ah sorry, I misread

Quick Reply

Latest