The Student Room Group

How to move on completely?

Me and my ex boyfriend spoke to each other after a year and half, he wanted to get back together and me to forgive him etc. I eventually forgave him but he decided he didn't want to get back together anymore because his family doesn't approve, okay fine. We officially broke things of in September/October last year and in December he got a new girlfriend. I was upset by this, but I just stopped contacting him and blocked him off social media etc. He's still with his girlfriend.

He's a selfish idiot, but that's not the point. 6 months later, I do sometimes miss him etc. I just want to know, how can I move on completely? It's so frustrating. Both of these times, we have officially broken up and stopped communication he immediately gets a girlfriend. Which makes me feel worse about myself, replaceable much :/

Maybe, I'm just being emotional for no reason considering it's my time of the month but not that you needed to know that.

Any advice? :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
Me and my ex boyfriend spoke to each other after a year and half, he wanted to get back together and me to forgive him etc. I eventually forgave him but he decided he didn't want to get back together anymore because his family doesn't approve, okay fine. We officially broke things of in September/October last year and in December he got a new girlfriend. I was upset by this, but I just stopped contacting him and blocked him off social media etc. He's still with his girlfriend.

He's a selfish idiot, but that's not the point. 6 months later, I do sometimes miss him etc. I just want to know, how can I move on completely? It's so frustrating. Both of these times, we have officially broken up and stopped communication he immediately gets a girlfriend. Which makes me feel worse about myself, replaceable much :/

Maybe, I'm just being emotional for no reason considering it's my time of the month but not that you needed to know that.

Any advice? :frown:

It takes time. Time heals all wounds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by maggie43
It takes time. Time heals all wounds

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's been over 6 months, I thought I would be over it by now. He's over it, seems so happy.
I was in a relationship for almost four years, cut off contact over a year ago when we broke up.
Still think about her on occasion.

Time heals, but it does take time and you need to experience the range of emotions because you can come to terms with things. It could take you another six months, a year, two...nobody knows because there's no time frame and everyone is different. Of course, if you find yourself obsessing over that person (thinking about them almost 24/7, checking their social media etc) then it would be worth seeking therapy. For now, it sounds like you're still on the slow road to recovery,
Reply 4
I completely agree with you, doesn't help that he has a new girlfriend and he's already introduced to his family etc but ah well.

We were together for nearly 3 years, sometimes it feels like a waste as he's just replaced me.
Original post by Ishax
We were together for nearly 3 years, sometimes it feels like a waste but I feel like he's just replaced me.

Pretty much same thing happened to me, within a few weeks I was already replaced by someone new. She wasn't a good partner anyway, so I dodged a big bullet.

If you ever want to chat, PM me. I always found it helped to have a few people on hand to vent my feelings too, especially strangers.

Don't beat yourself up. Time will heal your wounds, I promise you.
Reply 6
It sucks so much, it feels like he's moving on so fast in the relationship whilst I'm still mourning the relationship. Feel pathetic lol.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you two break up?

Yeah I will eventually get over it, we've broken up for over a year and half before already. He's just rehashed old woulds. I thought he'd changed, hence why I forgave him. Never making that mistake again.
Original post by Ishax
It sucks so much, it feels like he's moving on so fast in the relationship whilst I'm still mourning the relationship. Feel pathetic lol.

At the end of the day if someone can replace you that easily then they're not worth crying over.

Original post by Ishax
If you don't mind me asking, why did you two break up?

I'm happy to talk about it through private message, so drop me one if you wish.

Original post by Ishax
Yeah I will eventually get over it, we've broken up for over a year and half before already. He's just rehashed old woulds. I thought he'd changed, hence why I forgave him. Never making that mistake again.

You'll be fine. I can tell just by your responses alone. :smile:
Reply 8
That's true, done it twice now. I've just sent you a private message :smile:
How old are you?

It will just take time and distractions to move on to a point where you no longer think about him regularly and move on to a point that he is just a vague and distant memory. Try and keep yourself busy and surround yourself with your friends. Keep putting yourself out there and meeting new people, eventually you'll come across more guys you find attractive who find you attractive back, and even if things dont go further straight away it'll give you hope. Do new things, join a class that you've always wanted to try out but kept putting it off, read a new book etc. Don't allow yourself to contact him on social media (it's good you've blocked him), remove all traces of him from your life and try not to wallow in the 'whys' and 'hows' as difficult as it is.

These situations are always going to be difficult and feel like they are never ending, I know and have been there myself but trust me, as long as you don't allow yourself to fall into a rut pull eventually come out of it stronger having learnt a few lessons :smile:
Reply 10
This Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpmJh2CjSIA

Im also a boy with commitment issues. Take it from me, stay away from us because we're Bad news

Also
Do not assume he is happy, its an ACT I assure you
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by abcde3237
How old are you?

It will just take time and distractions to move on to a point where you no longer think about him regularly and move on to a point that he is just a vague and distant memory. Try and keep yourself busy and surround yourself with your friends. Keep putting yourself out there and meeting new people, eventually you'll come across more guys you find attractive who find you attractive back, and even if things dont go further straight away it'll give you hope. Do new things, join a class that you've always wanted to try out but kept putting it off, read a new book etc. Don't allow yourself to contact him on social media (it's good you've blocked him), remove all traces of him from your life and try not to wallow in the 'whys' and 'hows' as difficult as it is.

These situations are always going to be difficult and feel like they are never ending, I know and have been there myself but trust me, as long as you don't allow yourself to fall into a rut pull eventually come out of it stronger having learnt a few lessons :smile:

I'm 21.

Thank you so much, I will follow your advice ☺️
Reply 12
Original post by Mvpmb
This Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpmJh2CjSIA

Im also a boy with commitment issues. Take it from me, stay away from us because we're Bad news

Also
Do not assume he is happy, its an ACT I assure you

Thanks for the advice! :smile: I'm just annoyed with how he's replaced me so fast with a new girlfriend and already introduced to his family etc 😞 ah well.
Reply 13
Original post by Ishax
Thanks for the advice! :smile: I'm just annoyed with how he's replaced me so fast with a new girlfriend and already introduced to his family etc 😞 ah well.

He likely has no feelings for the new girl and is using her to get over you, and like you she is doomed to suffer in the long run as he probably will run away and play with her too, so just feel sorry for them lol
Original post by Ishax

Lol that isn't too bad. I was dumped at 7.59 and at 8.00 he was with someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Mvpmb
He likely has no feelings for the new girl and is using her to get over you, and like you she is doomed to suffer in the long run as he probably will run away and play with her too, so just feel sorry for them lol

I guess you're right, this will be his second rebound relationship and he's 23. He's done this to his previous ex girlfriend (during the time we were apart), he kept dumping her after a year and strung her along for months. Quite sad really. Should just ask me, I'll tell you what he's up too 😂😂 lets see how his second rebound plans out then!
Reply 16
Original post by maggie43
Lol that isn't too bad. I was dumped at 7.59 and at 8.00 he was with someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, people are so harsh 😞
Original post by Ishax
I'm 21.

Thank you so much, I will follow your advice ☺️

You're welcome :smile: Best of luck, and feel free to ask more questions if you like!

(Also as a side note, I find female friends are way better at helping to get over boys, since they get things from your perspective as there are some differences in how girls/boys act that sometimes the opposite gender may not understand as well. Nothing better that your closest gal pals rallying to get you out there or at least making you see the person he actually was, as long as they are decent girls and not crazy/*****y of course!)
Reply 18
Original post by abcde3237
You're welcome :smile: Best of luck, and feel free to ask more questions if you like!

(Also as a side note, I find female friends are way better at helping to get over boys, since they get things from your perspective as there are some differences in how girls/boys act that sometimes the opposite gender may not understand as well. Nothing better that your closest gal pals rallying to get you out there or at least making you see the person he actually was, as long as they are decent girls and not crazy/*****y of course!)

Thank you! Yes I will try that 😁

I will be okay eventually, I'm just annoyed I guess on how quickly he's moved on but I need to work on myself and stop mourning the relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending