The Student Room Group

History, law, English health and social?

I'm hoping to study religion and theology if I go to uni and later become a journalist or re teacher.

I've decided on Re and sociology, but don't know what to pick as my other one.

History
Pros: I know people doing the subject, trip to Berlin, could be interesting, I did GCSE. Unis like it and it's good for journalism.
Cons: hard subject, scared I won't get a good enough grade, worried I've only got a c in GCSE.

Health and social.
Pros: I know people in the year above doing it if I'm ever stuck, the teacher is lovely and even tho I didn't do GCSE im pretty confident I can pass it.
Cons: I don't know anyone taking it, it isn't well respected, is it relevant to what I want to do?

Law
Pros: I know people doing it, seems like something I would be interested in.
Cons: I've heard a lot of Unis don't like it and although it's seen as a soft subject it's actually pretty difficult.

English lit;
Pros: good subject to have, well respected, I enjoy books, think I've got a b for GCSE (hopefully)
Cons: I hate Shakespeare and poetry, worried I won't get as high a mark, don't know anyone taking it in the column which I would be.

Overall, I feel like health and social is the one I'd succeed in the best but history would better for what I want to do.
And I'm aware I shouldn't think of what my friends are taking my the whole idea of being a loner in class gives me major anxiety and I'm worried I won't make many friends as its a subject that people I don't mix with would take. I know I sound stupid but I can't help it.

Please help.
Reply 1
There's also psychology

Pros: loads of my friends are doing it. Could be interesting. Is said to be good for journalism
Cons: too similar to sociology? A friend said everyone in the year above is on a c or below. Not sure if I'd be good at it as in terrible at maths and science
Theology and Religious studies..

Classics, History, History of Art, Philosophy, Religious Education.

Health and Social Care, Law and Sociology are all good subjects but not optimum for a theology degree.

Agreed they would serve you well for going on to apply yourself in different career roles in the future.

Theology is theology and journalism is journalism, not sure how a theology degree will fit in with that ambition.
Reply 3
Original post by post-grad-u-ate
Theology and Religious studies..

Classics, History, History of Art, Philosophy, Religious Education.

Health and Social Care, Law and Sociology are all good subjects but not optimum for a theology degree.

Agreed they would serve you well for going on to apply yourself in different career roles in the future.

Theology is theology and journalism is journalism, not sure how a theology degree will fit in with that ambition.

Im struggling to see your point in afraid???

ive been to its better to have a degree in a specific subject than have a degree in journalism. What's wrong with religion and theology?
Plenty of people so a degree in history, english literature and theology and go on to become successful journalists, completely agree with you there. Your pro's and con's for psychology you are already thinking about journalism which makes me question why you don't go more towards this route.
Reply 5
Original post by post-grad-u-ate
Plenty of people so a degree in history, english literature and theology and go on to become successful journalists, completely agree with you there. Your pro's and con's for psychology you are already thinking about journalism which makes me question why you don't go more towards this route.

Not sure I quite understand your last point there sorry, do you mean a psychology route?

Quick Reply

Latest