The Student Room Group

Black lives matter protest in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AsapRocky
Source of your information?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just chiming in - the wall street journal's got a pretty good article on this. (I can't find the link though :/ But if you're really interested I'm sure it'll be somewhere in their archives). The whole gist of the article does not eventually support Black Lives Matter in terms of statistics - but it does raise the interesting point that even if statistically the BLM's grievances can't be fully backed up through numbers (at least according to their research), simply the fact that black parents feel the need to talk to their children about police brutality and persecution shows that there is a problem in America which urgently needs to be addressed.
Original post by Playmaker#10
http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

Now actually learn the stats before calling me and other people names.

Reasonable dialogue is the only way this problem can be solved.

I want you to sit down and think about the white to black ratio in America then come back to me with a sensible post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nonsense, most of the victims of police killings are white, and a black person murders a cop 18.5 times more than a cop murders a black man.

People should look into actual statistics and stop paying attention to the rubbish the media feeds into your little heads.

You should also factor in that white people make up the vast majority of the American population, so it would only make sense that most of police victims are white because there are more of them. You should also factor in the reason why the police killed them. Sometimes it's necessary, the public are rightfully outraged because it wasn't necessary in several cases and they all have one thing in common.
Original post by cherryred90s
You should also factor in that white people make up the vast majority of the American population, so it would only make sense that most of police victims are white because there are more of them. You should also factor in the reason why the police killed them. Sometimes it's necessary, the public are rightfully outraged because it wasn't necessary in several cases and they all have one thing in common.

So if that's your argument how come most of the people in American prisons aren't women?

Women make up 51% of the population of America, so how come 93% of people in US prisons are men?

I'll answer it it's because men commit most of the crimes in the US, so your population argument is a flawed one my friend. Blacks are so under represented in population but over represented in crime.
Original post by cherryred90s

You ruined it! I just set him this homework assignment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if that's your argument how come most of the people in American prisons aren't women?

Women make up 51% of the population of America, so how come 93% of people in US prisons are men?

I'll answer it it's because men commit most of the crimes in the US, so your population argument is a flawed one my friend. Blacks are so under represented in population but over represented in crime.

In a country so rich with racism do you not see logic in why blacks live in poor areas and find life in America difficult in terms of poor employment prospects etc, leading to crime? Or are you really this ignorant? I cant be too hard on you you have no experience of it so obviously making judgements from your high-horse is easy. Black peoples existence in America boils down to racism at the end of the day. You are acting like racism does not exist and is fictional; again when viewing the world on a high-horse its easier to ignore the issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol why are they protesting in London?
Reply 47
Original post by AsapRocky
I think generalisation is fine its not individualy based its just a general overview, dont see the problems in that.. And I dont see how you can really sit and argue with me tbh, am I lying when I say white people have enslaved, taken over lands of natives, whiped out races of people from day 0? Nearly every darn non-white country celebrates an independence from white rule where they celebrate not being raped, enslaved and eventually killed. Facts are facts, whites fd Africa up completely then act like they did it to themselves. Now want to get mad over a few marches in the street smh, we have a minute silence over WW1 every year but we are told to get over slavery, where the minute silence for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ireland suffered for over 1000 years under brutal colonial rule. And despite that, Ireland has still managed to emerge as a highly developed and advanced first world nation, and this has been achieved in a country that has virtually no natural resources. So what is Africa's ****ing excuse?
What exactly are you guys protesting against?

- Black people in the US commit 27% of all crimes and 52% of all intentional homicides even though they represent only 13% of the population.

- In 2013, out of the police shootings, only 25% of black men were killed by police as oppose to 50% of white men and 72% of white men and Hispanics.

- Also, when it comes to deaths from police shootings, only 4% of deaths from police were black as oppose to 12% of whites and Hispanics.

- To add, black police officers are three times more likely to fire a gun than a white police officer, and the police officer in the case of Minnesota who killed Philando Castile was Asian.

- Data from the FBI also shows that a police officer is 2.5 times more likely to be killed by a black man than a black man is to be killed by a police officer.

- On top of this, data released by the FBI shows that police only account for 2.5% of all intentional homicides of black people, compared to 91% of all intentional homicides of black people being perpetrated by a fellow black person.

- More so, even though there's only 30 million blacks, they killed 409 white people; even though there's 192 million whites, they killed 189 black people.

So tell me, because I'd really like to know, what are you protesting against?

@AsapRocky
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wōden
Ireland suffered for over 1000 years under brutal colonial rule. And despite that, Ireland has still managed to emerge as a highly developed and advanced first world nation, and this has been achieved in a country that has virtually no natural resources. So what is Africa's ****ing excuse?

Greedy, dictatorial leaders that have been in power since independence who will kill and/or arrest anyone who dares criticise their method of rule. The unfortunate situation Africa is in isn't the fault of all Africans. Give it time, in the next 50 years people like me will be in power and the story will be different.
London needs more something of an... "Eastern European lives matter" or "Brown lives matter" if you ask me~
Cringe.

BLM achieve nothing positive whatsoever in the USA, what could they possibly gain here? Racism isn't even a thing in GB, much less in the form of police brutality, so why would the virulence that is BLM think they're needed here?

Some people are clearly just looking for excuse to smash up the high streets.
lol
Being Unarmed doesn't necessarily mean you still aren't a threat and one of the police officers was asian not white, why are you people only interested in murder when it's a white person doing it to a black person?

If anything its the other way around. BBC and Sky didn't/barley brought up the killing of Alton and Phil. But they spent a good 5 min discussing the Dallas shootings. Sky even went into detail about each of the victims..
Original post by MildredMalone
Cringe.

BLM achieve nothing positive whatsoever in the USA, what could they possibly gain here? Racism isn't even a thing in GB, much less in the form of police brutality, so why would the virulence that is BLM think they're needed here?

Some people are clearly just looking for excuse to smash up the high streets.

BLM helps to raise awareness of the racial divide and social prejudice. The London protest was to show our respect for our fellow US blacks who are suffering and once again to raise awareness and get people talking.

Sadly to say, racism is everywhere. I agree that in the UK its not as drastic as the US but its still here. Yo probably don't see it because your shielded by your white privilege (I'm guessing your white). But for me as a black person I see it. It may be subtle but I still see it.

As I conclude I would like to say the London protests weren't smashing the high streets. They were protests not riots. Chill
Original post by misslovinggrace
If anything its the other way around. BBC and Sky didn't/barley brought up the killing of Alton and Phil. But they spent a good 5 min discussing the Dallas shootings. Sky even went into detail about each of the victims..

The BBC certainly had a significant focus on both the two earlier killings. They showed the videos along with a large written piece on their website.

I don't watch Sky much, but they would have undoubtedly been featured given how much other news sites covered it.
wouldn't be surprised if BLM was started by a Rachel Dolezal type

a (psychotic) subvert with ill intentions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TelAviv
The BBC certainly had a significant focus on both the two earlier killings. They showed the videos along with a large written piece on their website.

I don't watch Sky much, but they would have undoubtedly been featured given how much other news sites covered it.

Ahh my bad then I guess I missed it :eek::eek:
Original post by misslovinggrace
BLM helps to raise awareness of the racial divide and social prejudice.

But in doing so, it perpetuate the divide - if anything, BLM want to widen the divide, as they want garbage like black only dorms. They're the last group we should listen to about race relationships.
Original post by 0to100
lol holding spray painted signs is definitely a step forward to gaining equality

(not)
It's an ineffective show though I do agree it's raising awareness but it's done for social media most times

If blacks really cared about black lives they'd stop committing crime and finish their education and take care of their kids.

There. Said it. Meant it.

Wow thats very interesting. Both my parents have PhDs. My sister goes to top uni studying a competitive degree and I'm 15 and starting A-levels (I skipped a grade). We pay taxed and have never claimed benefits. My family is very much educated but we still face discrimination. The system doesn't care how rich or educated we are because all they see is black.

I do understand that there is a stereotype of the typical "Black British" family. But were not ALL like that and nobody wants to acknowledge the families that are doing good.

Quick Reply

Latest