The Student Room Group

Hate crimes surge by 42% in England and Wales since Brexit result

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brexit-hate-crime-racism-stats-spike-police-england-wales-eu-referendum-a7126706.html

Police have said the number of hate crimes recorded for the last two weeks in June has spiked by 42 per cent on this time last year.

A total of 3,076 incidents were recorded across the country between 16 and 30 June a dramatic increase on the 915 reports recorded over the same period in 2015.

The biggest number of recorded incidents came on 25 June the day after the result of the EU referendum when there were 289 hate crime related incidents.

The National Police Chiefs' Council, which released the data, found the majority of offences seen during the two-week period were “primarily harassment, common assault and other violence”.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wht a wonderful world we live in...
Is this really a surprise? The racists feel validated. Whether the 52% agree with them or not, they didn't call them out during the referendum and now they feel backed up in their views and people are rightfully worried.*
Absolute joke, Britain decided to let this happen though.

Mum says that her favourite restaurant (a French one which is really nice) is considering closing after receiving death threats on the phone.

I hope everyone who has committed hate crimes gets a nice long jail sentence.
It's an organised false flag operation designed to paint leave voters in a bad light, at least that is what I read on the internet. I worry we will see more of this, and potentially more serious incidents.
Leftists committing fake hate crimes, not surprised at all, when they are not busy trying to incite violence against police, allow men into little girls bathrooms and assaulting those they disagree with, they have to find something to occupy their time.
Reply 6
‘Rise In Hate Crimes’ Includes People Phoning Police To Complain About Nigel Farage, Says Police Chief
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/30/revealed-rise-hate-crimes-includes-people-phoning-police-complain-nigel-farage-says-police-chief/

Horrifying
Given that 'hate crime' can include graffiti or posting something nasty on Twitter, I'm not particularly bothered. 42% more people defying the Thought Police... Oh well.
Original post by Craig1998
Absolute joke, Britain decided to let this happen though.

Mum says that her favourite restaurant (a French one which is really nice) is considering closing after receiving death threats on the phone.

I hope everyone who has committed hate crimes gets a nice long jail sentence.

Yes the utter hatred towards the French has been really crazy since the Brexit vote /s

Either that is a load of poppycock or it's completely unrelated to Brexit.
Original post by The_Opinion
Leftists committing fake hate crimes, not surprised at all, when they are not busy trying to incite violence against police, allow men into little girls bathrooms and assaulting those they disagree with, they have to find something to occupy their time.

Aren't the right wing allowing men into little girls' bathrooms, when they say that trans men belong in female toilets even though they're men?
Original post by KingBradly
Yes the utter hatred towards the French has been really crazy since the Brexit vote /s

Either that is a load of poppycock or it's completely unrelated to Brexit.

http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/163737/racist-get-out-of-our-country-voicemail-sent-to-chester-city-centre-french-restaurant.aspx

They had also been sent death threats (according to mum) last week, but the media haven't reported on that.
Original post by Quantex
It's an organised false flag operation designed to paint leave voters in a bad light, at least that is what I read on the internet. I worry we will see more of this, and potentially more serious incidents.

------> The next thread post...

Original post by The_Opinion

:rofl:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
------> The next thread post...

:rofl:

It's almost as ridiculous as when people of your ilk claim the news makes stuff up about muslims to make them look bad.
It's almost as ridiculous as when people of your ilk claim the news makes stuff up about muslims to make them look bad.

http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/163737/racist-get-out-of-our-country-voicemail-sent-to-chester-city-centre-french-restaurant.aspx

They had also been sent death threats (according to mum) last week, but the media haven't reported on that.

According to that article, he has only recieved xenophobic comments twice. Once was three years ago, and there's nothing to suggest the second time was due to Brexit. Also, what the hell is the anonymous caller implying by saying "you should be German"? Do you not think this feels like it has some context, which is perhaps more personal, that we aren't aware of?

Additionally, there's a good reason why this isn't being covered by the news: it's one bloke recieving a single nasty voicemail. Hardly a big deal.
I voted Remain, but I don't think that 52% of the country is racist. What happened was that the leaders of the Leave campaign were irresponsible and flirted with xenophobia and bigotry, so the actual bigots became emboldened after the results because they think that 52% of the country agrees with them. Last week and man shouted in my face and pushed past me rather violently for no reason, first time that something like that had happened to me. Then the Halal butcher's down the road from my mum's was petrol bombed and completely destroyed. The latter was certainly terrorism.
(edited 7 years ago)
According to that article, he has only recieved xenophobic comments twice. Once was three years ago, and there's nothing to suggest the second time was due to Brexit. Also, what the hell is the anonymous caller implying by saying "you should be German"? Do you not think this feels like it has some context, which is perhaps more personal, that we aren't aware of?Additionally, there's a good reason why this isn't being covered by the news: it's one bloke recieving a single nasty voicemail. Hardly a big deal.
First off, if you'd bothered to read the rest of my post, you'd see it was not one nasty voicemail but several over the past few weeks. Even so, regardless of how many times he has received the message, it is still a horrific thing to endure.Secondly, in this case specifically, the caller said to 'get out of our country', not just the German comment (I'm not sure of the intent of that German comment itself, given that the owner is French). Given that there is a clear link between a rise in hate crime and the vote to leave the EU, and the numerous times this restaurant (aswell as other people and places in the UK) have experienced hate, it would be safe to assume this restaurant has suffered as a result of Brexit.

Also, you saying this is hardly a big deal effectively suggests that you are saying there is nothing to worry about when people across the UK are suffering from hatred like this.. do you have a heart?
First off, if you'd bothered to read the rest of my post, you'd see it was not one nasty voicemail but several over the past few weeks. Even so, regardless of how many times he has received the message, it is still a horrific thing to endure.Secondly, in this case specifically, the caller said to 'get out of our country', not just the German comment (I'm not sure of the intent of that German comment itself, given that the owner is French). Given that there is a clear link between a rise in hate crime and the vote to leave the EU, and the numerous times this restaurant (aswell as other people and places in the UK) have experienced hate, it would be safe to assume this restaurant has suffered as a result of Brexit.

Also, you saying this is hardly a big deal effectively suggests that you are saying there is nothing to worry about when people across the UK are suffering from hatred like this.. do you have a heart?

Thousands, if not millions, of people recieve unnecessary hatred towards them. I find it very sad, but I think it's all equally sad.
Original post by WBZ144
I voted Leave, but I don't think that 52% of the country is racist. What happened was that the leaders of the Leave campaign were irresponsible and flirted with xenophobia and bigotry, so the actual bigots became emboldened after the results because they think that 52% of the country agrees with them. Last week and man shouted in my face and pushed past me rather violently for no reason, first time that something like that had happened to me. Then the Halal butcher's down the road from my mum's was petrol bombed and completely destroyed. The latter was certainly terrorism.

If that is true then that is utterly awful, do you have a source? If there are genuinely crimes like that happening on the regular, then fair enough, that is terrible.
If that is true then that is utterly awful, do you have a source? If there are genuinely crimes like that happening on the regular, then fair enough, that is terrible.

Oops, I meant I voted Remain.

The petrol bombing was reported on the news.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/28/butcher-hit-by-petrol-bomb-in-latest-racist-incident-5971947/

Latest

Trending

Trending