The Student Room Group

Disability leading to failed first year

Dear friends

I am a North American student who has spent the last years studying in the UK. I'm still not fully familiar with the ins and outs of university life so I'm asking for help.

To summarise, during my first year I was hit with a rather deblitating condition that greatly impeded my ability to perform academically or even do mundane day-to-day tasks. I filed a special/medical circumstances form with the university that was accepted. Now that the year's results have been released, I'm seeing that I just barely failed the year and presumably have to do redo it all over again.

I'm wondering, is there nothing that can be done about this? No appeal of any kind? It just seems like there's a lack of humanity and understanding when I was forced to suffer academically due to circumstances beyond my control.

Do I have no options?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Even with a disability you still have to perform to certain standard. With the disability form, most unis offer additional support, and give you around a 20% leeway when marking your work.
I would say you should start again, but you should ask your uni about an appeals process, and there should be help from the uni. Maybe give them a call to find out?
If you re-take the year, maybe this time round seek a private one-to-one tutor to support you. There's loads of charities where I live which help with this kind of thing, so maybe there's some in your area?
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by omfgalib
Even with a disability you still have to perform to certain standard. With the disability form, most unis offer additional support, and give you around a 20% leeway when marking your work.
I would say you should start again, but you should ask your uni about an appeals process, and there should be help from the uni. Maybe give them a call to find out?
If you re-take the year, maybe this time round seek a private one-to-one tutor to support you. There's loads of charities where I live which help with this kind of thing, so maybe there's some in your area?
Good luck!

Very interesting. I'm almost certain my university (Aberystwyth) doesn't give any leeway when marking work. I have been making calls regarding the appeals process but so far it appears that likely no changes would be made. Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by Sixgaud
Very interesting. I'm almost certain my university (Aberystwyth) doesn't give any leeway when marking work. I have been making calls regarding the appeals process but so far it appears that likely no changes would be made. Thanks again!

Ah so you're in Wales then? The laws may be slightly different to those in England. Maybe you could ask the nsu for help if your uni offers no support.
Original post by Sixgaud
Dear friends

I am a North American student who has spent the last years studying in the UK. I'm still not fully familiar with the ins and outs of university life so I'm asking for help.

To summarise, during my first year I was hit with a rather deblitating condition that greatly impeded my ability to perform academically or even do mundane day-to-day tasks. I filed a special/medical circumstances form with the university that was accepted. Now that the year's results have been released, I'm seeing that I just barely failed the year and presumably have to do redo it all over again.

I'm wondering, is there nothing that can be done about this? No appeal of any kind? It just seems like there's a lack of humanity and understanding when I was forced to suffer academically due to circumstances beyond my control.

Do I have no options?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You need to look at the rules specific to your university they decide how your situation is treated. Impossivle to say without referring to them. You cna normally get them on your website, student handbook or from the deaprtment.

They accepted your spcial circumstances claim, but you do not say what the claim was for. Was it for extra marks, opportunity to resit?

Normally it would be for a resit, which you may be able to take in late summer. Only your department can tell you. Ask them. the options are normally :

1. Resit, but capped at 40%. Your special circs may let you rmeain uncapped.
2. Condoned pass if you are very close.
3. Retake, which means the whole year.

Read the rules.

Failing the year is not where you wnat to be i.e in the 30's.
I cnat see what you would have to appeal about as they accepted your claim, unless they wnat you to redo the whole year i.e a retake. You arent clear.

If you dont understand the rules, then book an appointment either with someone in the dusabilities team or an advisor in the SU.

Just seen its Aberystwyth, but finished my post. Just go and see an nus advisor.
(edited 7 years ago)

Got anything to back this up? That means they would give you a 2:1 for 40%?
RULES FOR PROGRESSION
Part 1You will pass Part 1 if you satisfy all the following conditions in your Part 1 module assessments:

1.passes at 40% or more in 100 credits’ worth of modulesand

2. an overall weighted average of at least 40%.
Part 1 students are normally allowed up to three resit opportunities.

However, if you fail more than 60 credits, youwill not be allowed to take resits in August, and will be required to repeat your first year.You will not be allowed to enter Part 2 until you have satisfied all the above conditions (ie you will not be allowed to retake failed Part 1 modules while studying in Part 2).
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Got anything to back this up? That means they would give you a 2:1 for 40%?

The 20% leeway? A friend in my class lost their grandmother near the deadline and exam season, and they were given that after applying for special circumstances or something, as it put her in a bad mental state.
The 20% leeway? A friend in my class lost their grandmother near the deadline and exam season, and they were given that after applying for special circumstances or something, as it put her in a bad mental state.

Nothing in the rules for that. they dont do 20% at GCSE or A level (well its 2- 5% max), Nor at Uni. Sceptical and dont beleieve they would give 20% just for that. Feel free to show the rules.

That's completely different.
Reply 10
If your failure is judged to be solely to have been caused by your health issues, and you applied in advance for your uni's Extenuating Circumstances where you fully disclosed all of your health problems and how they affected your ability to produce coursework and/or exams, then the uni should already have adjusted your marks. These might include things like extensions for coursework and adjustments during exams (things like extra time, breaks, using word processing rather than handwriting etc). If this has been done, then your final marks should reflect what your marks are thought to have been if you had not had your health disadvantages.

If you applied for ECs and they were accepted but adjustments weren't adequate, then this may be grounds for an appeal. If they were accepted but no adjustments were made, this would also be grounds for an appeal.

Presumably you have been getting low-ish marks all year to have failed it. If you do appeal your final year grade, you will need to account for the reason why you haven't appealed individual pieces of work.*

You do need to speak to your Student Union urgently. As has been said above, every uni can set its own rules and the SU will have people who know their way round your uni's regs and their appeals process.

There absolutely is humanity in the system, but you need to ensure that you have fully understood and engaged with it, in the ways required.
Original post by 999tigger
Nothing in the rules for that. they dont do 20% at GCSE or A level (well its 2- 5% max), Nor at Uni. Sceptical and dont beleieve they would give 20% just for that. Feel free to show the rules.

So you don't believe me? We don't get given the written rules just like that, and having graduated this year, I'm no longer at this institution.
The way you're going about rejecting my experiences makes you sound like a total arse to me :angry:
Reply 12
So you don't believe me? We don't get given the written rules just like that, and having graduated this year, I'm no longer at this institution.
The way you're going about rejecting my experiences makes you sound like a total arse to me :angry:

You went to Falmouth University and their Extenuating Circumstances regs (and all others) are publicly available:*https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/student-regulations *Unis don't hand out written rules when they can direct students to a public website.

I don't see a mention of an automatic 20% consideration for health issues anywhere. Each person's health issues will be judged on a case-by-case basis, and personalised adjustments made accordingly. I would be very surprised if you could point to any uni which had a blanket policy of a set percentage upgrade for students with health issues. I was awarded Disabled Students Allowance as an undergrad. I was neither awarded, nor expected, mark improvements. It wasn't necessary once the uni had made an adjustment which overcame my problem and levelled the playing field.
Original post by Klix88
You went to Falmouth University and their Extenuating Circumstances regs (and all others) are publicly available:*https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/student-regulations *Unis don't hand out written rules when they can direct students to a public website.

I don't see a mention of an automatic 20% consideration for health issues anywhere. Each person's health issues will be judged on a case-by-case basis, and personalised adjustments made accordingly. I would be very surprised if you could point to any uni which had a blanket policy of a set percentage upgrade for students with health issues. I was awarded Disabled Students Allowance as an undergrad. I was neither awarded, nor expected, mark improvements. It wasn't necessary once the uni had made an adjustment which overcame my problem and levelled the playing field.

No, I'm talking about where I was before Falmouth Uni. :smile: So that isn't relevant haha, and I wouldn't reveal it on here since It's my home town, but it did offer uni level qualifications.

Tbh no. Having looked at numerous schemes then special consideration or mitigating circumstances tend to allow people to resit or retake exams uncapped as opposed to awarding marks a person hasnt justified..

Your claim of 20% is not credible imo, that means anyone scoring a bare 2:2, but had the misfortune of a bereavement of a non immediate relative would be awarded a first. That would be crazy and not a fair reflection of academic performance for everyone else. I can see why they might allow a small uplift <5%, but not 20%. That would be ridiculously generous and unfair to other students.
Reply 15
No, I'm talking about where I was before Falmouth Uni. :smile: So that isn't relevant haha, and I wouldn't reveal it on here since It's my home town, but it did offer uni level qualifications.

You are giving the OP poor advice which is at best based on an inappropriate and irrelevant parallel. At best.
Falmouth University

EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES POLICY

1Valid extenuating circumstances can only be used to gain further time for assessments and, if appropriate, the removal of a capped mark. They cannot be used to gain additional marks.

2 An assessment board may consider certain extenuating circumstances in mitigation of: a)failure to submit work by the assessment submission deadline;b)failure to attend for assessments or examinations.

3 Extenuating circumstances are circumstances which:
a) are exceptional;
b) are outside the student’s control;
c) should be corroborated by independent evidence;
d) are likely to have a negative impact on the student’s ability to undertake orcomplete assessments.
e) are short term, lasting no more than 4 weeks.

Examples include:

a) illness at the time of the date for the submission of work or the examination;
b) bereavement;
c) an acute episode of a chronic condition which has an impact on the student not mitigated by any reasonable adjustments(such as flexible deadlines)already in place;
d) unusually severe mental or emotional stress at or immediately before the date for submission of workor the time of the examination.

I note its suddenly a mystery institution like Hogwarts. It is very likely their rules are available and I would be very surprised if they awarded 20% just for a beravement as opposed to dealing with it as above which is standard.
Back to the other point, which is Aberystwyth
Special Circumstances
Students who are unable to take examinations due to special circumstances such as temporary injuries/short term ill health are usually expected to resit in August.

https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/aqro/exams/special-circumstances/

OP go and see an advisor in the SU, but I cant see anything covering condoned passes. You should also be getting support from the disabilities team to make sure you are not disadvantaged and then try to get them to give you a resit in August. which isnt far away.

Quick Reply

Latest