The Student Room Group

Extended project (EPQ) Help!

So I'm starting my EPQ this summer because I want to get ahead. My teachers verily spoke about it before we finished college and implied we would start it in September. However, some of my research I want to carry out will take place abroad this summer. So I'm wondering what I have to do for it, like do I create a log book? Are there any templates? How many sources do I do? What do I have to do in general! From beginning to end if possible please! Many thanks!
Original post by hestiaoya
So I'm starting my EPQ this summer because I want to get ahead. My teachers verily spoke about it before we finished college and implied we would start it in September. However, some of my research I want to carry out will take place abroad this summer. So I'm wondering what I have to do for it, like do I create a log book? Are there any templates? How many sources do I do? What do I have to do in general! From beginning to end if possible please! Many thanks!

Hello! :h:

The title question

Titles which allow projects to gain the highest marks are usually ones for which you can argue for and against in the essay. "To what extent" and "How far can" are good starting phrases to use.

The essay

1. Introduction (bear in mind that the introduction is often easier to write at the end of the project)
Start by introducing your question, for example: "The question I am researching is '[essay title here]'", then explain the aim of your project, i.e. what you plan to find out. Also mention what sources of information you will use, and how your essay is going to be structured.

2. Main essay
Here you should discuss all of the main points and arguments which will help to answer your question. This should be the bulk of your essay; remember to use paragraphs and reference any quotes you use correctly so that the examiner can refer to them in the bibliography.

3. Conclusion
In the conclusion you should briefly discuss the most significant points/arguments again and come to a conclusion which answers your original title question.

4. Bibliography
The bibliography should include sources for all images and quotes you use in your essay. Keep a note of the date when you found each source as well and add them in square brackets after each source. You can use as many sources as you like, but remember that you need at least three different types of sources of information, for example a book, a website and a TV programme you get marks specifically for doing this.

The presentation

When you have completed your essay, you’ll need to give a short 10-15 minute presentation on your EPQ topic. The presentation should have slides dedicated to the following: why you chose to do an EPQ, why you chose your specific title, sources of information you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any problems you encountered during the project, benefits of doing an EPQ, what you would do differently if you did the project again, and whether you would recommend doing an EPQ to others. There must also be opportunity for the audience to ask questions, either during the presentation or at the end.

The Log Book

As well as the essay, you’ll also need to complete a Log Book (I think it’s also sometimes called a Production Log) - remember to fill it in thoroughly because this is the part which gets you most of the marks. Assuming you’re doing the EPQ with AQA, you can find a blank copy of the Log Book to fill in on their website.

You fill in the Log Book at various stages during your EPQ: at the start, middle and end of the project. Inside the Log Book there is guidance on what to include, but I found it very vague, so basically at each stage you’ll write about 1) what has gone well and what has gone badly, 2) any changes you have made to the project e.g. the title, structure etc, 3) what you plan to do next, and 4) any recommendations from your EPQ mentor/supervisor. You also need to write about your presentation, but again, the Log Book will have instructions on what you need to include.

At the end of the Log Book there is a section titled ‘Reflection’. Don’t be tempted to skimp on this section, as it’s worth A LOT of marks they give you an entire page of answer space for a reason!

I hope this gives you a better idea of what to do; if you have any more questions feel free to message me (I got an A in my EPQ) :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
X

This is all very good advice, I just want to make it very clear that with the EPQ, you are largely not being marked on your 'finished product' but rather your project management, organisational and research skills. I strongly recommend reading through the mark scheme for the EPQ in detail before you start so you're absolutely clear about what is being allocated marks and what isn't. The temptation with the EPQ is to put all of your effort into making an amazing dissertation - which is completely understandable and you should definitely try to do this - but it's important to understand that what you're actually being marked on is how you're managing your project so all the logs you keep of your project progress are extremely important.
Original post by Plagioclase
This is all very good advice, I just want to make it very clear that with the EPQ, you are largely not being marked on your 'finished product' but rather your project management, organisational and research skills. I strongly recommend reading through the mark scheme for the EPQ in detail before you start so you're absolutely clear about what is being allocated marks and what isn't. The temptation with the EPQ is to put all of your effort into making an amazing dissertation - which is completely understandable and you should definitely try to do this - but it's important to understand that what you're actually being marked on is how you're managing your project so all the logs you keep of your project progress are extremely important.

This is very good advice too! :smile:
Original post by hestiaoya

YES! :smile: Definitely write it down and make sure that it is valuable to your investigation - keep evidence of your planning as you go along, for planning is one of the things that you get marked on :biggrin: I hardly did any planning for mine, and was quite surprised as to what grade I came out with, but it doesn't hurt to do a lot of it, as long as its relevant.

Also, make sure that you make a point about the reliability of your sources :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest