The Student Room Group

Black lives matter protest in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misslovinggrace
Wow thats very interesting. Both my parents have PhDs. My sister goes to top uni studying a competitive degree and I'm 15 and starting A-levels (I skipped a grade). We pay taxed and have never claimed benefits. My family is very much educated but we still face discrimination. The system doesn't care how rich or educated we are because all they see is black.

I do understand that there is a stereotype of the typical "Black British" family. But were not ALL like that and nobody wants to acknowledge the families that are doing good.

What do you mean discrimination.
And honestly what you said is an anomaly in black America about phd's and both parents being around etc its just true :\
Original post by MildredMalone
But in doing so, it perpetuate the divide - if anything, BLM want to widen the divide, as they want garbage like black only dorms. They're the last group we should listen to about race relationships.

Yea there's even black people who hate BLM lol it's got a good original purpose that's taken a grim turn on its own accord somehow. But they're a pack of jokers honestly.
But in doing so, it perpetuate the divide - if anything, BLM want to widen the divide, as they want garbage like black only dorms. They're the last group we should listen to about race relationships.

The aim of BLM isn't to increase the divide, the divide is already there all its doing is highlighting it. If it seems to be increasing it thats a real shame but don't think thats our aim. Tell me do you honestly think 100% that black people and white people are treated the same (forget about social class).
Original post by 0to100
Yea there's even black people who hate BLM lol it's got a good original purpose that's taken a grim turn on its own accord somehow. But they're a pack of jokers honestly.

Yup, the only good thing about them is their name.

Original post by misslovinggrace
The aim of BLM isn't to increase the divide, the divide is already there all its doing is highlighting it. If it seems to be increasing it thats a real shame but don't think thats our aim. Tell me do you honestly think 100% that black people and white people are treated the same (forget about social class).

Wow, it must suck to be you with all that negativity. Apart from by racists, black people don't get treated any differently. Wanting black only dorms won't do anything to stop the divide, whic barely exists anyway.
Original post by 0to100
What do you mean discrimination.
And honestly what you said is an anomaly in black America about phd's and both parents being around etc its just true :\

But why should the black citizens (who haven't committed crimes/ are dangerous) that have single parents and live in disadvantage areas be treated differently from a typical white suburban family? And even if they were criminals should they be treated differently from the white criminals?

NOBODY in society should they be judged based on the colour of their skin?
Original post by jake4198
What exactly are you guys protesting against?

- Black people in the US commit 27% of all crimes and 52% of all intentional homicides even though they represent only 13% of the population.

- In 2013, out of the police shootings, only 25% of black men were killed by police as oppose to 50% of white men and 72% of white men and Hispanics.

- Also, when it comes to deaths from police shootings, only 4% of deaths from police were black as oppose to 12% of whites and Hispanics.

- To add, black police officers are three times more likely to fire a gun than a white police officer, and the police officer in the case of Minnesota who killed Philando Castile was Asian.

- Data from the FBI also shows that a police officer is 2.5 times more likely to be killed by a black man than a black man is to be killed by a police officer.

- On top of this, data released by the FBI shows that police only account for 2.5% of all intentional homicides of black people, compared to 91% of all intentional homicides of black people being perpetrated by a fellow black person.

- More so, even though there's only 30 million blacks, they killed 409 white people; even though there's 192 million whites, they killed 189 black people.

So tell me, because I'd really like to know, what are you protesting against?

@AsapRocky

None of those stats disprove the police brutality problem for all races in America though.
It's unfortunate that other groups choose to stay quite when their groups are killed by police but it doesn't mean black people aren't allowed to protest or get upset when it happens to their own.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
None of those stats disprove the police brutality problem for all races in America though.
It's unfortunate that other groups choose to stay quite when their groups are killed by police but it doesn't mean block people aren't allowed to protest or get upset when it happens to their own.

But black people have made it as though police brutality is exclusive to their race and exclusively committed by white people. The Movement has turned into an isolationist narrative which preaches overt discrimination and ensued disharmony. Of course excessive force is a problem in the US, but the BLM movement is the complete wrong way to solve it. All groups and races should come together and solve the problem as a collective as oppose to submitting to racial divide, protest and violence.
Original post by StrawbAri
It's unfortunate that other groups choose to stay quite when their groups are killed by police but it doesn't mean block people aren't allowed to protest or get upset when it happens to their own.

So where are the protests for the 64 dead BLACK people at the hands of other black people on the 4th of july?

Or the fact that 97% of the people responsible for black people dying......... are other black people?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yup, the only good thing about them is their name.

Wow, it must suck to be you with all that negativity. Apart from by racists, black people don't get treated any differently. Wanting black only dorms won't do anything to stop the divide, whic barely exists anyway.

THATS WHY WERE PROTESTING :confused::confused:

The thing that is getting us all pissed is that these 2 shooting that have happened didn't have to happen! The police didn't have to shoot these guys. There are more racists in the world than you think brah.

These racists are given a gun and the authority to shoot in the name of the law. Racists shouldn't be police officers.
(edited 7 years ago)
But black people have made it as though police brutality is exclusive to their race and exclusively committed by white people. The Movement has turned into an isolationist narrative which preaches overt discrimination and ensued disharmony. Of course excessive force is a problem in the US, but the BLM movement is the complete wrong way to solve it. All groups and races should come together and solve the problem as a collective as oppose to submitting to racial divide, protest and violence.

I don't disagree with this.
The organisation of BLM could have gone about their operations better but I still don't think it means black people don't get to protest police brutality against their own.

Not all Black people support the methods of BLM anyway. Just the original principle of it. For these particular shootings people are upset because it is most likely racially motivated and the offending police officers aren't rightly punished.

Of course there are the crazies and hateful nuts that will use this as an opportunity to cause trouble but they don't speak for all of us. I am black and I condemn the killing of people like Castille and people of all other races that are affected by police brutality and also the killing of the innocent police officers.

Original post by Playmaker#10
So where are the protests for the 64 dead BLACK people at the hands of other black people on the 4th of july?

Or the fact that 97% of the people responsible for black people dying......... are other black people?

Black on black violence isn't down to racial hatred, which is why people protest. It's down to the high rates of crime amongst black communities, the reason for which is down to many complex socioeconomic, cultural and possibly even genetic (though not enough research to actually prove that) reasons.
That's why you don't get street protests about it. The onus is on the government and black people in positions of power to alleviate poverty in black communities which will reduce crime rates and by extension black on black violence.
Original post by Playmaker#10
So if that's your argument how come most of the people in American prisons aren't women?

Women make up 51% of the population of America, so how come 93% of people in US prisons are men?

I'll answer it it's because men commit most of the crimes in the US, so your population argument is a flawed one my friend. Blacks are so under represented in population but over represented in crime.

It's not an argument lol. I'm just stating the reasons for this BLM movement
What exactly are you guys protesting against?

- Black people in the US commit 27% of all crimes and 52% of all intentional homicides even though they represent only 13% of the population.

- In 2013, out of the police shootings, only 25% of black men were killed by police as oppose to 50% of white men and 72% of white men and Hispanics.

- Also, when it comes to deaths from police shootings, only 4% of deaths from police were black as oppose to 12% of whites and Hispanics.

- To add, black police officers are three times more likely to fire a gun than a white police officer, and the police officer in the case of Minnesota who killed Philando Castile was Asian.

- Data from the FBI also shows that a police officer is 2.5 times more likely to be killed by a black man than a black man is to be killed by a police officer.

- On top of this, data released by the FBI shows that police only account for 2.5% of all intentional homicides of black people, compared to 91% of all intentional homicides of black people being perpetrated by a fellow black person.

- More so, even though there's only 30 million blacks, they killed 409 white people; even though there's 192 million whites, they killed 189 black people.

So tell me, because I'd really like to know, what are you protesting against?

@AsapRocky

The stories that have been publicised in the media have only came to light because the victims were wrongly killed, their deaths were completely unnecessary. They get killed if they resist, they get killed if they comply, oh and they happen to be black.That is why people are protesting
BLM achieve nothing positive whatsoever in the USA, what could they possibly gain here?
It is to show support. Countries from all over the world publicly showed their support following the Paris bombing, why can't we do the same for this?
Racism isn't even a thing in GB,

Racism is a 'thing' everywhere.

Some people are clearly just looking for excuse to smash up the high streets.

A protest and a riot are two different things
TSR is ****ing toxic lol
Black lives matter needs to be exterminated
Original post by Manchester_123
Black lives matter needs to be exterminated

Why ?
Original post by 34908seikj
I've no respect for the movement now. They're borderline racists, who think they get away with it because they're a minority at least the sort of figure heads of the movement, those people from the ferguson riots IIRC. Not that their cause isn't important [it is].

Please tell us what it's like to be a black man in America. I'm very interested.
All these protests are in vain if a black guy lets his whole race down by killing five white cops in an act of violent retribution.
See all the black live matter idiots walking around with black power salutes (the same one the shooter has been pictured doing before he killed cops) and afro-centric boards/flags

imagine if the national front still existed and they did the same with nazi salutes, holding a protest march the day after someone murdered a bunch of blacks, they would be allowed nowhere near the Houses of Parliament and the protest would be shut down before it even began.

Minorities get the special treatment yet again because the police are afraid to spark tensions, these "protesters" don't realize how pandered to they are here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok, seems to be a lot of confusion.

As others have mentioned, they're showing solidarity with African Americans who suffer from being disproportionately shot by the police. Its nothing to do with issues in the UK.

#Blacklivesmatter, doesn't mean that other ethnicities lives don't matter. Rather, its an appeal for black people to be treated the same as more privileged members of society (see white people). Numerous statistics from the Bureau of Justice statistics show that black people are shot far more than other ethnicities, even when they account for the fact that African Americans 16% of America's population. White people are found with more contraband on average yet black people receive harsher sentences (where white people sometimes don't even get jail time sometimes), but I digress. Point is, a police system that hires predominantly middle-class white people to police almost entirely black neighbourhoods is absurd, and part of the problem. If they can arrest white lone mass murders, then they can arrest unarmed black people. But they don't, and therein lies the concern.

A lot of waffling, but you get the idea. A massive social issue but not much is being done to remedy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest