The Student Room Group

Remoanians look away now!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
I've never been to Remonia good sir.

You seem to not get the joke, the emphasis is on "moan" e.g. complain, not on the remain part which you clearly think it is.
Reply 21
Original post by The_Opinion
You seem to not get the joke, the emphasis is on "moan" e.g. complain, not on the remain part which you clearly think it is.

All the Romanians I've met have had quite a positive outlook on life. Why do you think otherwise?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
All the Romanians I've met have had quite a positive outlook on life. Why do you think otherwise?

Well, they have been busy for the last 2 weeks not being to happy, in fact they seem to think that the end of the world is soon approaching (when article 50 is activated).
Reply 24
Well, they have been busy for the last 2 weeks not being to happy, in fact they seem to think that the end of the world is soon approaching (when article 50 is activated).

Surely you can understand the concerns of Romanians here to support their families? I would be aghast at the idea of being deported essentially by bigots who can't even get the name of their country right.
Surely you can understand the concerns of Romanians here to support their families? I would be aghast at the idea of being deported essentially by bigots who can't even get the name of their country right.

This guy must be trolling for him to still not understand what is being said after I clearly explained to him.

Nobody is talking about actual Romanians!
Reply 26
This guy must be trolling for him to still not understand what is being said after I clearly explained to him.

Who are you talking about then?
Reply 27

The scary thing is it seems he still doesn't understand!
Reply 28
Original post by ATW1
The scary thing is it seems he still doesn't understand!

I hope it's okay that he's foreign?
Reply 29

I hope it's okay that he's foreign?

It was explained to you very, very simply but it went straight over your head.
Reply 30
Original post by ATW1
It was explained to you very, very simply but it went straight over your head.

I was probably busy trying to find Remoania on a map!

Woah, look how tiny the UK is!
Reply 31
I was probably busy trying to find Remoania on a map!

Woah, look how tiny the UK is!

One day, when you have developed a brain, you will look back on this conversation with an enormous amount of embarrassment.
Original post by ATW1
That post sums up the intelligence of you Remoanians in a nutshell. You just made my day!

You really couldn't make it up if you tried :toofunny:
Original post by ATW1
Stable and safe? I take it you think these businesses will be leaving the unstable and unsafe EU all together then?

There is no perfect economy so its pick your poison. The EU or the incredibly instable looking UK that is heading for years of economic turmoil, job losses, possibly a recession, Scotland leaving practically guaranteed in the future, a brain drain of talent and general unpleasantness. I know what I'd chose.*

Remain + moan = Remoan
Someone who Remoans = Remoanian

It's a portmanteau
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by ATW1
That post sums up the intelligence of you Remoanians in a nutshell. You just made my day!

You seem very disparaging of Romanians, their intelligence in particular.

Did you know they discovered insulin and invented the vaginal smear?
Reply 36
Original post by Zargabaath
Remain + moan = Remoan
Someone who Remoans = Remoanian

It's a portmanteau

Oh I see. So Remoaners are Romanians who are moaning about not being able to remain in the UK?
Original post by elitepower
Oh its the media's fault is it? Its not the legitimate fact that leaving the EU makes the UK's future more uncertain and uncertainty is not something you want in business so lots of businesses are making the smart decision to consider going somewhere more stable and safe.*

If you honestly think the EU is a stable economic base, I recommend you google the Italian banking crisis. No one's talking about it right now because Brexit grabs all the headlines, but the Italian economy is walking headlong into a financial crash which would make the Greek banking crisis look like a drop in the ocean.

Investors are running away from 400 billion euros of bad debt, and the government can't bail them out because new EU laws mean that the shareholders have to shoulder the burden first. In Italy, about 40% of those are retail investors (normal people, rather than institutional investors). Which means that by EU law, if the government wants to help the banks they've got the slash the savings of their people. When they tried to shore up a couple of the smaller banks a few months back, one guy killed himself as he had his life's savings eaten up. With a key Italian vote on reforming the Senate coming up, the Italian government is not going to cripple its own people like that, and the EU are refusing to make any allowance for the Italians. The Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena has lost 80% of its value in the past year, and the Italian banks together are worth about a tenth of what they should be on paper. Unemployment levels are second only to Greece, and this is the 4th or 5th (can't remember which, I think it's 4th) largest EU economy we're talking about. If Italy goes, the whole eurozone falls in with it.

And that's not to mention that Portugal is going to hit major snags in 2017. They are stuck in a toxic cycle of stagnation and deflation, debt as a proportion of GDP is on the up again and they're facing a major fine from the EU for failing to meet the debt targets they were set. They should see out this year, but from then on Portugal is in very real danger of straight up running out of money. And all of this is without talking about Greece, who are still failing to thrash out a deal with the ECB and IMF to try to sort out their mess. The IMF recently downgraded their debt, stating that they do not believe the creditors will ever see their money again and that they will not commit to any more bailouts. And all of this is being precipitated by the rife anti-austerity sentiment which is pervasive not just amongst the Greek populus, but also their political elite.

All in all, the idea that the EU is now a safer bet economically is ludicrous. Like I said, just take a look at the scale of the problem in Italy.
Oh I see. So Remoaners are Romanians who are moaning about not being able to remain in the UK?

Yes exactly that
Reply 39
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes exactly that

I think I'm getting the hang of this!

And so Brexiteer = Britain + exit + privateer ?

An establishment-sanctioned individual who uses attacks on foreigners achieve their goals of taking Britain out if the EU?

Quick Reply