The Student Room Group

What to do in order to achieve 70% in university exams?

Hi all :smile:

Recently got back university marks. I mucked up the second term of university, had some long term illness/medical issues.

Found out I need 68% in my final year to graduate with a 2:1. Kind of worried, it would mean I'd have to beat most of my class mates. Also my illness/medical issues haven't really gone away so a bit worried that might impact me too.

But yeah a bit scared/low on confidence. It might be nice if I could somehow score 80 percent in some of the modules, might make it easier to achieve 68% overall but was wondering if this is possible.

I study Engineering by the way.

Anyway thanks for reading/any responses in advance!
Reply 1
Have you told your uni about your health problems and filled a request? They may give you more time or lower the grade boundaries for your exams to make up for it.

Otherwise all you can really do is study and make sure that you understand it well enough to get that
Reply 2
Original post by Devify
Have you told your uni about your health problems and filled a request? They may give you more time or lower the grade boundaries for your exams to make up for it.

Otherwise all you can really do is study and make sure that you understand it well enough to get that

I think I could get extra time in exams perhaps but don't think that would help. Lower grade boundaries aren't really possible don't think.
Reply 3
You should talk with student support or something like that at your uni. It depends on the specific universities what they are willing to do to help you out. Some may give you ~5%, others will not give anything.
They may allow you to retake specific exams if you don't get the grades you want but there's no knowing if you don't talk with your university to find out what they can do for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Devify
You should talk with student support or something like that at your uni. It depends on the specific universities what they are willing to do to help you out. Some may give you ~5%, others will not give anything.
They may allow you to retake specific exams if you don't get the grades you want but there's no knowing if you don't talk with your university to find out what they can do for you.

I've talked with my uni already. In fact they capped one of my modules which has sort of led to this situation already which I was pretty upset about as I had a medical certificate and doctor's recommendation.
Reply 5
Original post by Super_Duck
I've talked with my uni already. In fact they capped one of my modules which has sort of led to this situation already which I was pretty upset about as I had a medical certificate and doctor's recommendation.

Well all you can do then is study and make sure you get it like everyone else.
You can try appealing the decision if you think they should help more. But you'll have to find all the rules for it and see if there is any chance for you to get anything out of that.
Original post by Super_Duck
Hi all :smile:

Recently got back university marks. I mucked up the second term of university, had some long term illness/medical issues.

Found out I need 68% in my final year to graduate with a 2:1. Kind of worried, it would mean I'd have to beat most of my class mates. Also my illness/medical issues haven't really gone away so a bit worried that might impact me too.

But yeah a bit scared/low on confidence. It might be nice if I could somehow score 80 percent in some of the modules, might make it easier to achieve 68% overall but was wondering if this is possible.

I study Engineering by the way.

Anyway thanks for reading/any responses in advance!

Prep over summer for 3rd year and work everyday you can between now and the exam

Quick Reply

Latest