The Student Room Group

Would you say BBC News swings more to the right or left

Poll

Which would you say the BBC swings more to

Or is it genuinely not biased.

Scroll to see replies

BBC not biased... Hahaha what a joke. Thanks for a laugh
If I'm honest, I haven't noticed that much of a bias with the BBC. :s-smilie:
It swings, from my perspective, to Blairism. It also has to please governments becuase of funding. they are mostly social and economically liberal, apart from a large state, which is not libertarian. Most people now, in line with our only electoral options for god knows how long, are pro-inequality in the economy, but also many are pro a large state, they quite like anti-terror legislation/mass surveillance(though there are some who fight it and see it for what it is). Most people are also social liberals too.
Reply 4
Original post by Platopus
BBC not biased... Hahaha what a joke. Thanks for a laugh

I personally think it feels like The Guardian holding itself back in a meagre attempt to appear unbiased.
Thank goodness nobody has voted that it swings to the right lol!
Original post by KingBradly
I personally think it feels like The Guardian holding itself back in a meagre attempt to appear unbiased.

I think it's an exceedingly left wing paper, occasionally throwing in qualifications such as an "allegedly" here and there in a poorly veiled attempt to appear unbiased.
Reply 7
Women love the BBC
Reply 8
Question Time on BBC1 seems to sway much more to the right of the pol spectrum. Not sure whether it's that David Dimbleby guy, or the audience members.
I believe it's centrist but very socially liberal which makes it seem like it is left-wing.
The BBC is a progressive left/Fabian mouthpiece and swings to more or less extremes within that.
Original post by Shadow Hunters
If I'm honest, I haven't noticed that much of a bias with the BBC. :s-smilie:

There are websites out there which examine it...

http://biasedbbc.org/

http://isthebbcbiased.blogspot.co.uk/
I think the fact that it gets a pretty even number of complaints from people claiming it's "too right" and "too left" suggests it's doing a pretty good job overall.

People will always see a bias if they want to.
Should lose public funding
Reply 14
Original post by KingBradly
Or is it genuinely not biased.

Lol It is soo much biased. I have been listening to BBC since grade 4 and I must say I have noticed what not. They are supposed to be freaking neutral.
I'd say slightly to the left.*
The problem is though, anytime you have a political topic that criticises pretty much anyone or anything the supporters come out and scream bias. I am seeing this with pretty much Brexit related coverage - Brexiters commenting "get over it, stop posting negative articles" - when the news is negative, the economy is unstable and there has been an increase in hate crimes. But because this doesn't jive with their political believes they scream bias.*
It is hardly doing itself or the country any favours with its relentlessly negative post Brexit coverage.

We are leaving the EU, so would it be too much to examine the ways in which we will make this work? It is kinda important.

Apparently there were celebrations of Brexit in some northern cities the next day. Did you see any coverage of that? Me neither.

The BBC is also relentlessly pro unlimited immigration, constantly harping on about its "economic benefits." This vote was a vote against it just like the rest of the establishment...
If you're a right winger you'll complain that it means to the left.

If you're a left winger you'll complain it leans to the right.

It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than any of the other options out there.
I read a wikipedia article of criticism against the BBC once and it had both pro-muslim bias and anti-muslim bias on it so I haven't a clue what they're doin.

Original post by generallee
Apparently there were celebrations of Brexit in some northern cities the next day. Did you see any coverage of that? Me neither.

I can't remember the last time it covered anything happening in the North, ever.
I don't watch any other news channels so I don't know much about this but it seems unbiased to me

Quick Reply