The Student Room Group

I can't get over the death of someone I never knew.

I'm not going to say who it is because I don't want anyone to make fun, but there was a celebrity I really liked back in the day. He was a real inspiration to me and I had always hoped to see him perform live, or even meet him. And then he died.

He was young - in his 30s - and his death was so unexpected. At the time it was naturally really sad because I was on Twitter and everyone I followed was sad, and other celebrities were paying tribute to him.

But that was 3 years ago. People I actually love, and more importantly actually knew, have died since then, and I've got over that perfectly fine. But this celebrity....has always played on my mind. I think about him all the time, sometimes daily. It just makes me so sad, the thought of never being able to see his smiling face again, even if I only ever saw it on TV. Often I go on YouTube and watch interviews from him and wish I could go back in time and warn him not to do what he did on the night of his death.

Has anyone ever had the death of a celebrity hit them hard? How did you get over it?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not going to say who it is because I don't want anyone to make fun, but there was a celebrity I really liked back in the day. He was a real inspiration to me and I had always hoped to see him perform live, or even meet him. And then he died.

He was young - in his 30s - and his death was so unexpected. At the time it was naturally really sad because I was on Twitter and everyone I followed was sad, and other celebrities were paying tribute to him.

But that was 3 years ago. People I actually love, and more importantly actually knew, have died since then, and I've got over that perfectly fine. But this celebrity....has always played on my mind. I think about him all the time, sometimes daily. It just makes me so sad, the thought of never being able to see his smiling face again, even if I only ever saw it on TV. Often I go on YouTube and watch interviews from him and wish I could go back in time and warn him not to do what he did on the night of his death.

Has anyone ever had the death of a celebrity hit them hard? How did you get over it?

i love pink floyd and spend a lot of time thinking about syd barrett which occasionally makes me sad. but i think that's mostly because i can relate to what happened to his mental health rather than his death. it is not something always at the front of my mind though it just comes on when i listen to the music or read about their history. if he was an inspiration to you perhaps when listening or watching past performances, think about how he inspired you and use that feeling to combat when things get tough.

You're not alone. The majority of the country is still somewhat hysterical over the death of Princess Diana for some inexplicable reason that I can't quite fathom.

Actually, you do need to get a grip. Grieving for a loved one you have lost who was close to you is one thing, but grieving for someone you never knew is bizarre and as its been three years now, it's time to let it go. It's sad that someone so young and talented has died before they could look to the future. Make a scrapbook about him. Then leave it behind and one day if and when you have children, you can show it to them.
Move on.

I'm guessing this is Cory Monteith?
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
I'm guessing this is Cory Monteith?

THANK YOU. i read this last night and was sure everything rang a bell, i was just forgetting the guy's name.

OP, if this is about cory monteith you're not alone. look up any glee video, if he appears or is mentioned there's a flood of comments from people saying they're still not quite over it.
i personally found it very hard when robin williams died, harder than i've ever found an IRL death (admittedly i've never had anyone very close to me die before), and half of the reason was because i didn't know him. when someone you know dies, even if it's unexpected there's closure. maybe you're there when it happens, or you go to the funeral, or you clear out their room. but when a celebrity dies...not so much. the films, songs, etc they've made are still out there for you to watch anytime you want, and sure you'll never get to see or talk to them IRL, but that's how it was anyway. your relationship with them actually has not changed one bit, and maybe that's why you're having trouble. you know he's dead, he's been dead for ages, but to you nothing different has really happened, nothing in your life has changed. there's been no closure.

if you just think about him from time to time, it's no big deal. you will move on eventually. if it's starting to affect your life, however, i'd try and find a way to say goodbye to him.
i did the same thing as you, i watched a lot of interviews with robin willaims. mostly just to make me laugh, but i couldn't really 'move on' if i was watching him every day. so i stopped. and that's my advice to you. stop watching interviews of cory (if that is who you mean), stop watching glee, just force yourself not to think about him. and you will. good luck to you.

Quick Reply

Latest