The Student Room Group

HELP! Failed First year uni by 1 PERCENT!

I'm in a ****ed up situation right now, just learnt that I failed my Quantitative Methods by 1%, and as it is a core module I only have the option of passing my resits or I'll be dropped off my course....How do you guys prepare for exams resits?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ouch
Reply 2
Surely they can do a condone pass and let you through? Given you failed by 1% ! I always tell lecturers there is a difference between getting 49% in an exam and 5%, the former should be passed and the later failed.

Talk to your personal tutor/ programme director and see what they can do, even if they give you reassurance that they will pass you if you are again 1/2% away in the resit, it will mean a lot I guess.
I have a question, in one of my units I got 61% in my coursework but 21% in my exam.... Dunno what the hell happened but that meant I got 34.50% in my unit overall and needed to get 40% to pass the unit. So my question is, in the retake, do I have to get 40% in that exam to pass or do I have to just get some more marks to up my grade to get 40% overall as it is added with my coursework, hope that makes sense
Reply 4
Original post by Melissaemmaaxx
I have a question, in one of my units I got 61% in my coursework but 21% in my exam.... Dunno what the hell happened but that meant I got 34.50% in my unit overall and needed to get 40% to pass the unit. So my question is, in the retake, do I have to get 40% in that exam to pass or do I have to just get some more marks to up my grade to get 40% overall as it is added with my coursework, hope that makes sense

At QMUL postgrad you could fail exams but pass coursework and pass the module. But some universities like Greenwich are now putting in a system in which you need to get both 40% in the exam and 40% in the coursework, so you really need to check with your programme director.
Original post by Wroetoshaw
I'm in a ****ed up situation right now, just learnt that I failed my Quantitative Methods by 1%, and as it is a core module I only have the option of passing my resits or I'll be dropped off my course....How do you guys prepare for exams resits?

Sio they are asking you to resit and you are worried because its that or out?

1. I would read the rules first. They might allow you to retake.
2. If you cnat scarpe a bear pass, then you should look at whether Uni is the right place for you to be.
3. Prepare by understanding what it is you failed at , practice and command the topic to a competent level. If you dont know then get tutoring.
Original post by fg45344
At QMUL postgrad you could fail exams but pass coursework and pass the module. But some universities like Greenwich are now putting in a system in which you need to get both 40% in the exam and 40% in the coursework, so you really need to check with your programme director.

Given that 40% would be a grade E at A-Level, how on earth is that considered a passing mark at university? Clearly the system has been dumbed down yet again...
Reply 7
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
Given that 40% would be a grade E at A-Level, how on earth is that considered a passing mark at university? Clearly the system has been dumbed down yet again...

Have you seen the stuff I have had to study at PhD level economics! I will be lucky to even get 40% in it.

But seriously, the content is much harder, so the pass mark needs to drop. It's 50% at postgrad, which is a *****, since postgrad is a real step up from undergrad.
Original post by fg45344
Have you seen the stuff I have had to study at PhD level economics! I will be lucky to even get 40% in it.

But seriously, the content is much harder, so the pass mark needs to drop. It's 50% at postgrad, which is a *****, since postgrad is a real step up from undergrad.

The content is perhaps more complex, but at the same time you have more knowledge and experience of the subject, so it shouldn't be any more difficult to do well if you just do the work that is required. As I said, it's purely dumbing down for political reasons...
Reply 9
The content is perhaps more complex, but at the same time you have more knowledge and experience of the subject, so it shouldn't be any more difficult to do well if you just do the work that is required. As I said, it's purely dumbing down for political reasons...

It's always been 40% though, you can go back to the 1970s and it was still 40%, probably even lower in some cases.

You get better with age, but the content increases in difficulty quicker than you can improve so you need a relatively fair pass mark.

Remember this is just the PASS mark, you need to do better than 40% to get a 2:1. And these days getting a 2:1 is very important.
Reply 10

Mickey mouse degrees have been created for political reasons, to get more people into education, but this in a way has devalued degrees. Your bus driver these days can have a degree.
Reply 11
Guys my total module mark was 39%, in my exam I got 13/100 while for coursework I got 78. The percentage weightage for exam is 60% while coursework is 40%. Is it possible if I can beg them to let me pass? I've talked to my module leader, but it doesn't seem like he's convinced to give me that one extra mark. Who else can I contact for help :/
Reply 12
I'm in exactly the same situation as you, got descent results for coursework but got destroyed in the exams. Not sure how your uni works tho, but at mine once you fail a course, coursework marks will not be counted with ur final resit marks and I have to get at least a 40% just for the resit exam. I'm so screwed.

Original post by Melissaemmaaxx
Guys my total module mark was 39%, in my exam I got 13/100 while for coursework I got 78. The percentage weightage for exam is 60% while coursework is 40%. Is it possible if I can beg them to let me pass? I've talked to my module leader, but it doesn't seem like he's convinced to give me that one extra mark. Who else can I contact for help :/

I'm not trying to be mean but if you only got 13% in an exam after getting 78% for coursework there is something really wrong. You need to work out what that is (did you not bother to revise, did you have a lot of help in the c/w etc) and fix it fast because 13% is terrible and with marks that low I would be dropping out if I didn't have a very good reason. This will keep happening if you don't work out why. If it was a research methods paper I doubt it was that difficult, I've done those modules while at uni, so there is no reason to specficially fail that.

I would not let you pass with that either. I'd be questioning whether you cheated on your coursework to start with. I certainly wouldn't allow someone through with 13% in an exam. To be honest 40% is extremely low as it is, I see no reason to allow people who fail through...
You need to read the rules for goodness sake. They will be available. There may be a min pass mark in each component with the average needing to be 40%.
You wnat to progress, but tbh you shouldnt eb scrpaing down at the 40% level as the qualiyu of your degree will be compromised.
Reply 15
For coursework I had may have had a little help from a good friend. In all honesty, I think I would have did badly for my final exam but never imagined to get 13%. I'm an international student, and about a month before the exam I had a horrible knee injury which resulted in a torn acl which had been mentally distressing for me .I did not apply for the personal extenuating circumstances form tho, as i thought I wouldn't have got so low for the exam. All I can do now is work hard and prepare for the exam

Original post by doodle_333
I'm not trying to be mean but if you only got 13% in an exam after getting 78% for coursework there is something really wrong. You need to work out what that is (did you not bother to revise, did you have a lot of help in the c/w etc) and fix it fast because 13% is terrible and with marks that low I would be dropping out if I didn't have a very good reason. This will keep happening if you don't work out why. If it was a research methods paper I doubt it was that difficult, I've done those modules while at uni, so there is no reason to specficially fail that.

I would not let you pass with that either. I'd be questioning whether you cheated on your coursework to start with. I certainly wouldn't allow someone through with 13% in an exam. To be honest 40% is extremely low as it is, I see no reason to allow people who fail through...
Not sure they would have taken a torn ligament as something which causes mental distress. They would probably just let you resit/defer if you werent unable to sit it in the first place. Talk to your tutor and elarn where you went wrong.
Reply 17
Lol if you think a torn CRUCIATE ligament, not just some random ligament, will not give you mental distress, you should go try it. The amount of pain i had for the first two weeks and giving way of the knee was so excruciatingly tough I was constantly going in and out of the hospital. I think I could bring a good case up for them, but at the mean time I'm thinking of just resitting the exam now and see how it goes
For coursework I had may have had a little help from a good friend. In all honesty, I think I would have did badly for my final exam but never imagined to get 13%. I'm an international student, and about a month before the exam I had a horrible knee injury which resulted in a torn acl which had been mentally distressing for me .I did not apply for the personal extenuating circumstances form tho, as i thought I wouldn't have got so low for the exam. All I can do now is work hard and prepare for the exam

What does being an international student have to do with it?

You need to be honest with yourself - if you worked hard through the year and revised hard for the exam and still ended up with 13% I would be seriously considering whether that course, that uni, or uni at all is the right place for you to be. If you didn't like that module or you didn't work as hard all year as you could or should have, I would just work hard to pass it in the resits but you will need to work harder next year or you risk graduating with a bad grade.

Lol if you think a torn CRUCIATE ligament, not just some random ligament, will not give you mental distress, you should go try it. The amount of pain i had for the first two weeks and giving way of the knee was so excruciatingly tough I was constantly going in and out of the hospital. I think I could bring a good case up for them, but at the mean time I'm thinking of just resitting the exam now and see how it goes

You should've asked for extenuating circumstances if you were in that much pain. There's no glory or pride in struggling through then whining when you get a terrible grade. If you'd asked them at the time they probably would've allowed you to resit in August without a cap. If your university has similar policies to the two unis I've attended, you will, at best, be allowed a resit with a cap of 40%.

well firstly, you need to do your work yourself... if I was your lecturer I would be watching you like a hawk after those marks for any sign of cheating, it sounds like you must have had a lot of help given your end result

being an international student has nothing to do with anything, you must be able to speak reasonable english (as demonstrated by your posts, I wouldn't have geussed you weren't english) so you can't blame that... and plenty of international students do very well at uni

if you're an athlete I understand a torn ACL must be distressing but I doubt you would get impaired performance for that anyway so you can't use it as an excuse

I would suggest trying to get in touch with someone to find out exactly how you did so badly so you can try and fix it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending