The Student Room Group

Uni help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Then do some research and you will find out that Nottingham is only one of a very wide range of possibilities. If you don't want to change subject, and you don't get the grades when you are working hard, then you will have to accept that something is going to have to change. There is no other option. Law is massively competitive and Nottingham is massively over subscribed. Try typing your estimated grades into www.whatuni.com and see what comes up. No amount of wanting is going to make up for not getting the grades, so if that is going to happen, then you have to change your tactics.

Ok thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
bradford-$hite
york-didnt like
newcastle-ok i guess
warwick-not too keen on the course, the place apparently isnt nice
durham-long shot to get into
so yeah im not a nottingham die hard, but so far its the only one ive really liked so thats why im stressing over me not getting in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm. what about Birmingham or Leeds!!!!!!!!!!
bradford-$hite
york-didnt like
newcastle-ok i guess
so yeah im not a nottingham die hard, but so far its the only one ive really liked so thats why im stressing over me not getting in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't get in, you don't get in. That's that. Wouldn't you rather have a back up plan? Study hard now, and if you still don't get in then that's it. If you don't get the grades, then you probably wouldn't have been able to do the course well anyway. Look into and apply for other unis. It's better than going to no uni if you don't get into Nottingham and you've been too stubborn to make a plan B. Excessive punctuation and really wanting it won't get you into uni, unfortunately. You have to do the work, and you need a plan B.
(edited 7 years ago)
There are around 130 unis all over the UK and you're telling us that the only one you like is Nottingham and no other uni appeals to you.

You need to do your research before you put a line over every uni out there
Original post by chelseadagg3r
If you don't get in, you don't get in. That's that. Wouldn't you rather have a back up plan? Study hard now, and if you still don't get in then that's it. If you don't get the grades, then you probably wouldn't have been able to do the course well anyway. Look into and apply for other unis. It's better than going to no uni if you don't get into Nottingham and you've been too stubborn to make a plan B. Excessive punctuation and really wanting it won't get you into uni, unfortunately. You have to do the work, and you need a plan B.

It won't??????????? Wtf!!!!!!!!!!
I do get what you're saying though in terms of having the plan b, but it's just hard you know because I'm fallen in love with this uni and I don't think others will compa
Original post by sadixx
hmm. what about Birmingham or Leeds!!!!!!!!!!

Never thought about Birmingham actually!!!!!! Maybe that'll be a turning point!!!!!!!!!
Original post by katherine9609
There are around 130 unis all over the UK and you're telling us that the only one you like is Nottingham and no other uni appeals to you.

You need to do your research before you put a line over every uni out there

About 15 of them are Russell, from that 15 the majority are in London which I can't afford, which then leaves me little choice and from that little choice I have visited some and didn't like so that's why I'm keen on Notts because it fills criteria, but it would be a shame for me to not fill its criteria innit
It won't??????????? Wtf!!!!!!!!!!
I do get what you're saying though in terms of having the plan b, but it's just hard you know because I'm fallen in love with this uni and I don't think others will compa

I know it's hard, but there are so many other unis and you'll kick yourself if you end up out of uni literally down to being stubborn. You said Newcastle was okay, so look into that. Look into Birmingham and Durham too, even though you mentioned Durham may be a long shot. It's worth a try.
Reply 28
Why do you think you won't get in?
About 15 of them are Russell, from that 15 the majority are in London which I can't afford, which then leaves me little choice and from that little choice I have visited some and didn't like so that's why I'm keen on Notts because it fills criteria, but it would be a shame for me to not fill its criteria innit

No, that leaves you with 115. That's not little choice. From what I have read on here, you visited under 10 unis. If you are only keen on one, that means you've not visited enough and haven't done the actual research you need to do before you apply to any university.

London is affordable if you know how to manage the money you get. The loan for London atm is £10,702 maximum. If you can get that when you go to uni, you're in the exact same go financial situation as many other people who get over £8k to study outside of london
Original post by katherine9609
No, that leaves you with 115. That's not little choice. From what I have read on here, you visited under 10 unis. If you are only keen on one, that means you've not visited enough and haven't done the actual research you need to do before you apply to any university.

London is affordable if you know how to manage the money you get. The loan for London atm is £10,702 maximum. If you can get that when you go to uni, you're in the exact same go financial situation as many other people who get over £8k to study outside of london

I would love to go to London, I guess I just got it in my head that it's out of my reach but it wouldn't do me any harm looking into it, thanks
Original post by zRa
Why do you think you won't get in?

It needs an A* and 2 A's, and at AS I think I'll get AABC so I don't think they would consider me to be able to get an a* and 2a's at a level
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I know it's hard, but there are so many other unis and you'll kick yourself if you end up out of uni literally down to being stubborn. You said Newcastle was okay, so look into that. Look into Birmingham and Durham too, even though you mentioned Durham may be a long shot. It's worth a try.

Yeah it never occured to me to look at Birmingham, so that may be a viable option
Reply 33
It needs an A* and 2 A's, and at AS I think I'll get AABC so I don't think they would consider me to be able to get an a* and 2a's at a level

If you really wanted to, you could email the uni and ask if there's any possibility of them considering you if you got those results. Before I officially applied for any uni, I emailed them to see how likely it was for me to be accepted. Is there any specific reason you're only focusing on this uni?
Original post by zRa
If you really wanted to, you could email the uni and ask if there's any possibility of them considering you if you got those results. Before I officially applied for any uni, I emailed them to see how likely it was for me to be accepted. Is there any specific reason you're only focusing on this uni?

Really? Were they helpful at all?
And I just love everything about the uni, it's been superior to others I've looked at
Reply 35
Really? Were they helpful at all?
And I just love everything about the uni, it's been superior to others I've looked at

Yeah it was helpful, I really wanted to apply to Sussex so I emailed them asking if they would consider me but they said they wouldn't because I didn't get a B or above for my maths GCSE (I got a C). Although it was disappointing, it was good to know so that I didn't waste one of my choices on them. I emailed the rest of the unis I wanted to apply for and they said I'd be able to get in so I applied for them. I think you should email them, ask if they'd consider you and get a definite answer, if they say no, look for a different uni. I know you really like this uni but sometimes things don't work out, but it's okay because there's loads of options and you do have 5 choices :smile:
Original post by zRa
Yeah it was helpful, I really wanted to apply to Sussex so I emailed them asking if they would consider me but they said they wouldn't because I didn't get a B or above for my maths GCSE (I got a C). Although it was disappointing, it was good to know so that I didn't waste one of my choices on them. I emailed the rest of the unis I wanted to apply for and they said I'd be able to get in so I applied for them. I think you should email them, ask if they'd consider you and get a definite answer, if they say no, look for a different uni. I know you really like this uni but sometimes things don't work out, but it's okay because there's loads of options and you do have 5 choices :smile:

That's actually a great idea, I feel so much at ease now because of all the advice I've got so thanks :biggrin:
Reply 37
That's actually a great idea, I feel so much at ease now because of all the advice I've got so thanks :biggrin:

No problem! :smile: I wouldn't worry about, just try your best in your exams and if you can't get into that uni, so be it, you'll get into another good one. Just enjoy yourself and work hard, good luck! :smile:
Reply 38
bradford-$hite
york-didnt like
newcastle-ok i guess

Then lower the entry standard of Unis you're looking at. There's no point looking at the places if there's no chance of getting into them.

Okay the first thing you need to realise is that literally no one outside TSR cares about the Russell group. Russell group unis aren't automatically better, because y'know what the criteria is? NOTHING. They are a self-selected group. That's the same as me and my friends decided we will be superior to every other group of friends and other people actually going along with it for some reason.

Don't discount universities just because they are not in the Russell group. Also, whilst league tables are a helpful guide, I have seen unis move 10 or more places depending on which website has made the table. Don't take them ultra seriously.

Get a lot of prospectuses, look at the modules. That is the most important thing, it doesn't matter about anything else if you dislike the modules. Then visit a bunch and get a feel for them. I have a feeling the reason you dislike everywhere else is because you are obsessed with Nottingham. If you don't think you'll get in, then let it go. Don't screw up your future because you didn't want to consider anywhere else

Quick Reply

Latest