The Student Room Group

Where to buy stuff for uni?

Where's the best place to buy everything for uni that's relatively cheap?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
define "everything"?
You probably won't get everything cheap from the same place, but you can try Ikea if you have one nearby (if you need home stuff) and Wilkos is pretty good for uni stuff too. Have a look around the high street and see what's on offer. You'll probably get bits and pieces from supermarkets as well. You just have to look around really.
Original post by zRa

Make a list of what you need first. A lot depends on whether you are self catering or not.

You can start filling that list in before results day.

Wilkinsons was already mentioned. Argos is ok as well. Also dependas how much money you have. E-bay isnt bad either.

You may already have some of the stuff.
Original post by zRa

Tesco, IKEA and Matalan all do cheap home stuff. TK Maxx and Homesense also.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion
define "everything"?

Sorry I guess that was kinda vague, I meant the main things, so stuff for the bedroom (bedding, storage etc.) and kitchen equipment
Reply 6
Original post by zRa
Sorry I guess that was kinda vague, I meant the main things, so stuff for the bedroom (bedding, storage etc.) and kitchen equipment

In which case the above answers are all great :yy:
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Make a list of what you need first. A lot depends on whether you are self catering or not.

You can start filling that list in before results day.

Wilkinsons was already mentioned. Argos is ok as well. Also dependas how much money you have. E-bay isnt bad either.

You may already have some of the stuff.

Thanks! I've made my list, now i'm excited about buying everything :smile: Although it's probably too early to start buying everything now
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Tesco, IKEA and Matalan all do cheap home stuff. TK Maxx and Homesense also.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by chelseadagg3r
You probably won't get everything cheap from the same place, but you can try Ikea if you have one nearby (if you need home stuff) and Wilkos is pretty good for uni stuff too. Have a look around the high street and see what's on offer. You'll probably get bits and pieces from supermarkets as well. You just have to look around really.

Ok, will do, thanks :smile:
Original post by zRa
Thanks! I've made my list, now i'm excited about buying everything :smile: Although it's probably too early to start buying everything now

Just a tip they have shops where you will be going as well.
You need to budget, get a job if you can.
I bought my kitchen stuff from Wilko, they are really cheap for kitchen supplies. I got my quilt covers, quilt and pillows on amazon but bought my bottom sheets and bathroom stuff from Asda. Should also have a look in Poundland as they do some alright stuff.

It's never too early to start buying stuff, I'm too excited lol, I'm half way done on my list.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by LizzieTwoShoes
I bought my kitchen stuff from Wilko, they are really cheap for kitchen supplies. I got my quilt covers, quilt and pillows on amazon but bought my bottom sheets and bathroom stuff from Asda. Should also have a look in Poundland as they do some alright stuff.

It's never too early to start buying stuff, I'm too excited lol, I'm half way done on my list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: haha yeah I'm excited too, I've been looking forward to buying everything so I'm gonna start soon. Did you start buying the bigger things first or the smaller, less expensive things first?
I basically went through my list and bought stuff as to how necessary I thought it would be, just incase I ran out of money and couldn't afford some things. So started with kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, stationary, miscellaneous etc.

I also got high grades on my Access course so the University should be giving me a scholarship. So for that reason I've left really high priced items like a laptop off the list as I'll get that with my scholarship.

As for cleaning products, hygiene items and food, I'll probably just go to the shop near my flat at University.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
John Lewis?
Wilkinsons/ B and M/ ikea??
Reply 16
Original post by LizzieTwoShoes
I basically went through my list and bought stuff as to how necessary I thought it would be, just incase I ran out of money and couldn't afford some things. So started with kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, stationary, miscellaneous etc.

I also got high grades on my Access course so the University should be giving me a scholarship. So for that reason I've left really high priced items like a laptop off the list as I'll get that with my scholarship.

As for cleaning products, hygiene items and food, I'll probably just go to the shop near my flat at University..:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that'll be my plan as well, to start buying the necessary stuff first. Congrats on getting your scholarship and good luck at uni! :smile:
You too! Enjoy every moment of it, it'll be awesome :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got most of my stuff from matalan, ASDA (actually have pretty good homeware) and a few things from dunelm mill.
This year I've seen a few nice decorative items in H&M and new look this year too!
Original post by zRa

I bought mine from a variety of shops. Poundlands/Poundworlds are really good places for cheap student kitchen stuff and cleaning stuff. Wilkinsons is another place I shopped for stuff at and found a lot of my kitchen stuff and bedding stuff. I shopped in places such as Dunelm and so on.
I know people that have used Ikea but I didn't personally. There are plenty of places available - Asda Living and places like that are good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending