The Student Room Group

If you don't get in to Oxbridge, does it mean you are inferior?

That includes people that never applied

Scroll to see replies

Original post by B4LL3R

Yes if you are heavily into education and conventional careers, with obvious special conditions like people without the money to go (if this happens) or people where another uni is actually better for their subject.

But yeah, I'd say you're inferior if you're from England and do maths at a lesser uni than Cambridge.
I'd say you're superior to all them dweebs
Reply 3
Depends on the circumstances, as in why you didn't get in in the first place, was it personal circumstances?. I know a lot of people who did ther BScs and MScis at "inferior" unis and ended up in Oxbridge either as PG students or in faculty, so it depends.
If someone earns less money than you does that make you better than them? No, its absolutely ridiculous to have a mindset like that and I advise you to stay away from people like that.
Original post by B4LL3R

Finally someone asking the question upfront for once:ashamed:

The reason why you have so few replies so far is because most of us havent go into oxbridge and are wallowing in our sorrows :cry:

The thing is, if you dont get into oxbridge, your life is effectively over. :bawling:

Your a levels lose any worth immediately and you can forget any GCSE grade you may have. :coffee:

You automatically lose 500 UCAS :nooo: points permanently and receive a ban from all unis in the country. :eek4:

Also, all employers must routinely check whether you graduated from oxbridge on your CV:nope: so without that, you will never make even a Tesco checkout post or a dustbin man:frown:

not to mention your credit score goes down 400 points for non oxbridge individuals and all your insurance increases by a 40% margin due to 'insufficient education'

finally you are lowered in pirority in all public services including transport and healthcare meaning you have to wait tat the back of the already long queue at the nhs...

Then as soon as youre 18, the government have the right to take your phone, car, house, family, friends and wifi away until youre stripped down with nothing and deported out of the country with immediate effect

You are irrevocably, unarguably, irreversible inferior in life in all its ways
:nothing:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I thought all TSR members will/currentlystudy/graduated from Oxbridge?!
Original post by B4LL3R

No, of course not.
On TSR - if you haven't been to Oxbridge, your life isn't worth living. Even if you didn't want to go and thus didn't apply.

In real life, and to the vast majority of employers - nobody gives a flying ****.
Reply 9
No. Oxbridge just wasn't the best for my subject. So I didn't apply by choice :u:
Original post by fermat1324
Yes if you are heavily into education and conventional careers, with obvious special conditions like people without the money to go (if this happens) or people where another uni is actually better for their subject.

But yeah, I'd say you're inferior if you're from England and do maths at a lesser uni than Cambridge.

I really hope you're being sarcastic, because the best maths uni is Warwick
Most TSR members are already getting their 15th Ph.d's at Oxbridge so this question is off
Original post by asinghj
I really hope you're being sarcastic, because the best maths uni is Warwick

right but it's not the hardest to get into and the top Cambridge grads are generally better than the top from Warwick
Since I'm not going Oxbridge can someone tell me how much a Dustbin man earns?
Original post by Playmaker#10
Since I'm not going Oxbridge can someone tell me how much a Dustbin man earns?

Approximately five shillings a week
No I wouldn't agree with that statement and nor with the wider idea that people who don't go to university are inferior. Put it this way. We have a system now where the majority of young people go to university. They're simpletons enough to drown themselves in debt at half baked institutions studying for degrees(womens studies, anything ...ology, non rigorous subjects) and with barely any work experience. They're in essence failures(the cold hard truth they deny). In an effort to justify their stupid decisions, they perpetuate the idea that anybody else who didn't follow that same doomed path is stupid as a result. Sorry but being a university student is not the same as being one from 40-50 years ago. Most go because they're clueless, want the "uni" experience(because getting drunk, struggling to pay bills and being unemployed can't be done outside of university right?). I view Cambridge and Oxford as good institutions for the most part and do share respect for the top 30 or so universities with regards to their STEM departments but if you're some liberal arts baby, you're doing yourself a big disservice. Fin.
Original post by Serine Soul
Approximately five shillings a week

Well It's not the Euromillions but it's better than nothing
Original post by fermat1324
right but it's not the hardest to get into and the top Cambridge grads are generally better than the top from Warwick

Literally the same entry requirements. Plus I have no clue about the top grads, I'm just saying what my maths teacher told me
Original post by asinghj
Literally the same entry requirements. Plus I have no clue about the top grads, I'm just saying what my maths teacher told me

wtf when i was 18 i got a warwick offer of AA at advanced higher with no interview. Didn't apply to Cambridge but it wouldve been interview, A1A1A1 and 1's in STEP I imagine.

Has it changed?

Quick Reply

Latest