The Student Room Group

New Maths GCSE 2017 (1-9)

Hi guys, so basically you all would've heard that the GCSE is changing next year completely and that we are going to do it from Grade 1 being the lowest (Grade G) and 9 being the highest (Grade A**). Anywho, my teachers say that the higher paper for maths will be harder than ever (Grades 4-9) and I'm just wondering if like lower sets will do the higher paper, i know i would be doing Higher because i am in set 1 for maths but set 2 and 1 do he same tests but the others do easier ones, i just want predictions on if the lower sets are doing the higher, like set 3. Thank you, much appreciated:smile:
Reply 1
In our school :
Set 1 will definitley do Higher.
Set 2 : will definitely do higher.
Set 3 : The people who are capable of doing higher which means getting B or A/A* in mocks.
Set 4: This set onwards I guess people are doing foundation.
This is because new spec is hard 50% of paper focusing on A/A* (7-9) questions and other 50% 4-6.
Original post by Fnt1klo
In our school :
Set 1 will definitley do Higher.
Set 2 : will definitely do higher.
Set 3 : The people who are capable of doing higher which means getting B or A/A* in mocks.
Set 4: This set onwards I guess people are doing foundation.
This is because new spec is hard 50% of paper focusing on A/A* (7-9) questions and other 50% 4-6.

Oh thats explains it all, and 50% harder!:K::K: And yeah i agree if you get a grade B or higher in your mocks then I'm guessing you should do the higher, what about english?:biggrin:
Original post by happydimples
Oh thats explains it all, and 50% harder!:K::K: And yeah i agree if you get a grade B or higher in your mocks then I'm guessing you should do the higher, what about english?:biggrin:

theres no higher or lower paper, everyone answers the same questions, also did you know you have to remeber the quotes for aic, dr jekl and the poems
Reply 4

I am doing Wjec board and there is no foundation or higher in new spec.
Original post by theBranicAc
theres no higher or lower paper, everyone answers the same questions, also did you know you have to remeber the quotes for aic, dr jekl and the poems[/QU

This is for the english paper, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys, so basically you all would've heard that the GCSE is changing next year completely and that we are going to do it from Grade 1 being the lowest (Grade G) and 9 being the highest (Grade A**). Anywho, my teachers say that the higher paper for maths will be harder than ever (Grades 4-9) and I'm just wondering if like lower sets will do the higher paper, i know i would be doing Higher because i am in set 1 for maths but set 2 and 1 do he same tests but the others do easier ones, i just want predictions on if the lower sets are doing the higher, like set 3. Thank you, much appreciated:smile:

These probably haven't been decided but I think that there will be a lot less entered for the higher tier because last year, borderline C/B students could go into higher and get it, but this time it is much harder and thus these borderline students would probably end up on the foundation. They'll decide on the capability during the mocks most likely.
There is a higher and foundation paper, in school set 1 and 2 did the SAM 1H,2H and 3H and the lower sets did the 1F,2F and 3F. We were told by our teacher who attended the ofqual meeting that there will be a higher and foundation paper.

The person was referring to English where there is no tiering anymore - which is good for the higher level students because the first few questions are list and find questions.
Original post by Fnt1klo

This is for the english papers isn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by danielwinstanley
The person was referring to English where there is no tiering anymore - which is good for the higher level students because the first few questions are list and find questions.

Oops my bad, and yes that good!
Original post by Fnt1klo

Have you done your Speaking & Listening exam yet? It's the most stressful part at the moment...
Why do we have to memorise the AIC quotes!!:banghead::cry:
Reply 12
This is for the english papers isn't it?

Yes.
Reply 13
Have you done your Speaking & Listening exam yet? It's the most stressful part at the moment...

I did spoken presentation.Dont know what I got anyway it doesn't count towards the final grade so what's the purpose of it? I don't get it.
Original post by Fnt1klo
I did spoken presentation.Dont know what I got anyway it doesn't count towards the final grade so what's the purpose of it? I don't get it.

You get a Pass, Merit, Distinction, or Fail: it's just a nice thing to have to show you can do public speaking basically.
You get a Pass, Merit, Distinction, or Fail: it's just a nice thing to have to show you can do public speaking basically.

I got nervous and skipped mine.. oh well

It depends on your school. Difficulty is definitely subjective, and you'll probably only know how hard it is if you take a peek at the SAM/specimen for your exam board.

Quick Reply

Latest