The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

3rd year maths module advice?

Hey : )

I was wondering if anyone who has done their 3rd year at King's has any advice about module selection? Could anyone give brief reviews of the modules they picked, please?

(If there are any soon to be first or second years reading this, I'd be happy to talk about how I found the modules in those years, if anyone's interested.)
How was the teaching structure, relative difficulty of modules like in first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by drandy76
How was the teaching structure, relative difficulty of modules like in first year?

You have 8 modules, all of which are compulsory in the first year. For each module in the first year, you have three class tests, which are 30 minute multiple choice tests. Usually you gain a mark (or marks) for a correct answer, and lose a mark for incorrect answers, to prevent guessing. These tests are worth 20% of your final grade, so it's nice to know you have some marks in the bank before going into May exams.

Teaching is like 3 hours of lectures where you get taught new stuff, and an hour of tutorials which are run by a PhD student, usually for talking about homework questions. As for difficulty, quite a few of the modules (especially calculus 1, stats 1, and linear methods) are just getting everyone up to speed, and contain a lot of a level material. If the only maths you've done is from a level maths, you might find some of the more proof based modules a bit of a shock to start with, just because you're not really taught about proving things at school, but by the end of the year, you'll probably have had enough time to get used to that way of thinking.
Original post by Telllo
You have 8 modules, all of which are compulsory in the first year. For each module in the first year, you have three class tests, which are 30 minute multiple choice tests. Usually you gain a mark (or marks) for a correct answer, and lose a mark for incorrect answers, to prevent guessing. These tests are worth 20% of your final grade, so it's nice to know you have some marks in the bank before going into May exams.

Teaching is like 3 hours of lectures where you get taught new stuff, and an hour of tutorials which are run by a PhD student, usually for talking about homework questions. As for difficulty, quite a few of the modules (especially calculus 1, stats 1, and linear methods) are just getting everyone up to speed, and contain a lot of a level material. If the only maths you've done is from a level maths, you might find some of the more proof based modules a bit of a shock to start with, just because you're not really taught about proving things at school, but by the end of the year, you'll probably have had enough time to get used to that way of thinking.

Thanks, what was the working hours usually like per day, a few hours of lectures then mostly problem sheets/tutorials?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by drandy76
Thanks, what was the working hours usually like per day, a few hours of lectures then mostly problem sheets/tutorials?

It's pretty much just luck how your timetable turns out. I think Wednesday afternoons don't have anything scheduled for them. Other days you could have something that starts at 9am, and then a massive break, and then something that ends at 6pm, so you just have to hope that doesn't happen.

And the amount of time you need to spend on sheets just varies on subject/understanding, but I found that the exams are either easier or of the same difficulty as the sheets.
Original post by Telllo
Hey : )

I was wondering if anyone who has done their 3rd year at King's has any advice about module selection? Could anyone give brief reviews of the modules they picked, please?

(If there are any soon to be first or second years reading this, I'd be happy to talk about how I found the modules in those years, if anyone's interested.)

Hey!
Can you do more modules than the required amount ? If not but in doubts what to do, can you sign up for two( one possibly extra) then drop one?
Is attendace to lectures compulsory / monitored?
Reply 6
Original post by hassassin04
Hey!
Can you do more modules than the required amount ? If not but in doubts what to do, can you sign up for two( one possibly extra) then drop one?
Is attendace to lectures compulsory / monitored?

I'm not sure if you can do extra modules in the first year, but I think you are allowed to in the following years provided you go to talk to both the program director and the lecturer of the extra module, and then I guess it's their choice if you can do it. I also don't know about signing up for two and then dropping one, sorry.

I've never noticed anyone checking if you attend lectures, but registers are supposed to be taken in the tutorials, and I think they say tutorial attendance is compulsory in the first year.

Quick Reply

Latest