The Student Room Group

I dont want to be myself?

Hey all, i have a problem, When i watch movies or tv shows and i see a character I like, then i want to be the character and will copy their sense of humour, their personality, mannerism and just want to be like them. I want to be liked by people. Is this wrong? Or should i be being myself? But what is being yourself? I dont think i want to be myself because i see better on the movies and im always thinking about life, always. The glamour of movies has got to me i think. I dont have hardly any friends either. I dont talk to many people either.

I often live my life like those characters, living like im in a movie and i feel sorry for myself quite a lot.

I just act a lot. That's it i think. I act like the characters i want to be like. But i know this is just wrong.
Should i be doing this acting?

Any advice i would love, thank you TSR'ians , im 17 year old boy:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Just act however you want to act smh - you want to act like all those movie characters, that's ok. As long as you're not forcing yourself to be like them, or trying too hard - that's just lame. Just act how've feels natural - it's ok to change, people change all the time.

As long as you're not being obsessive and trying to act like someone in every aspect of their life, you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You wasteman
Reply 3
If you're acting in a way merely to please other people then yes you're doing it wrong.

Just act however the **** you feel and whatever makes you comfortable. Living your life based on other people's viewpoints of you is stupid.
Reply 4
Just be yourself, your probably more amazing being yourself than some random dick from a movie
Reply 5
Original post by Nimrahk123
Just be yourself, your probably more amazing being yourself than some random dick from a movie

But being myself i find boring, i guess that means i need to get out more.

Because ive been putting on this act for a year, thanks for your advice
Act however you feel like acting, if you feel like acting like a character from a movie, so be it. As long as you are happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Fish40
But being myself i find boring, i guess that means i need to get out more.

Because ive been putting on this act for a year, thanks for your advice

I guess we're all boring then, just be yourself no matter how boring you are.
Reply 8
Original post by Inexorably
If you're acting in a way merely to please other people then yes you're doing it wrong.

Just act however the **** you feel and whatever makes you comfortable. Living your life based on other people's viewpoints of you is stupid.

Thank you
Reply 9
I guess we're all boring then, just be yourself no matter how boring you are.

But i laugh at the things everyone laugh at, i just don't know
Original post by Fish40
But i laugh at the things everyone laugh at, i just don't know

Well, laugh at the things that you find funny, I mean you're young, no one is expecting you to completely know who you are.
Reply 11
Well, laugh at the things that you find funny, I mean you're young, no one is expecting you to completely know who you are.

Thanks for your words, really appreciate it
Original post by Fish40
Thanks for your words, really appreciate it

No worries 😊
Reply 13
Perhaps you need to build an activity list, do some fun things, live your life and then you'll build your own character, why be the puppet when you can be the puppet master
Original post by Fish40
Hey all, i have a problem, When i watch movies or tv shows and i see a character I like, then i want to be the character and will copy their sense of humour, their personality, mannerism and just want to be like them. I want to be liked by people. Is this wrong? Or should i be being myself? But what is being yourself? I dont think i want to be myself because i see better on the movies and im always thinking about life, always. The glamour of movies has got to me i think. I dont have hardly any friends either. I dont talk to many people either.

I often live my life like those characters, living like im in a movie and i feel sorry for myself quite a lot.

I just act a lot. That's it i think. I act like the characters i want to be like. But i know this is just wrong.
Should i be doing this acting?

Any advice i would love, thank you TSR'ians , im 17 year old boy:smile:

Well, you are you. So, be the best you that you can be.
Itnseems as though you are in this social dilemma of wanting to fit in with peoplenaround you. I understand what you mean by fictional characters having a perfect life and everthing seems so perfect in theur world. However you need to pull yourself back to reality because you are an individual living in this real world, instead of a planned artificial world you see in movie. There are different people out there. What you do will only be seen as coolcdor some, so it is not possible to impress everything. My sugguestion is that you just be your normal true self beacuse i think you can just be as unique and special.
movies aren't real fam
You're only 17 you haven't even reached your final form. Seriously though, *everyone at 17 is insecure, has no idea who they are and wishes to be something else. In a few years you will feel more comfortable with your own personality. Maybe take up a new hobby or something.*
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Itnseems as though you are in this social dilemma of wanting to fit in with peoplenaround you. I understand what you mean by fictional characters having a perfect life and everthing seems so perfect in theur world. However you need to pull yourself back to reality because you are an individual living in this real world, instead of a planned artificial world you see in movie. There are different people out there. What you do will only be seen as coolcdor some, so it is not possible to impress everything. My sugguestion is that you just be your normal true self beacuse i think you can just be as unique and special.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You're only 17 you haven't even reached your final form. Seriously though, *everyone at 17 is insecure, has no idea who they are and wishes to be something else. In a few years you will feel more comfortable with your own personality. Maybe take up a new hobby or something.*

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending