The Student Room Group

What would you do with £100,000?

Scroll to see replies

Use like 30-40k to start a small business 10k invest in education 10k to blow 40k in the bank

Posted from TSR Mobile
hopefully be close to that sum soon, thanks for the tips guys!

here's my list

More travel!
New BMW
Give a lot of it to my parents for their retirement
Women
Invest it in stocks or buy a house.
£100k isn't a lot tbh. I'd splurge maybe 5-6% on stuff, then invest the rest in a mix of stocks, bonds and any co-invest opportunities in small businesses/startups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Not much. Where I live 100k is almost a deposit, however would need ~100k a year base salary to get the rest on a mortgage.
Deposit £50,000 for a house.
Use the remaining on education, inexpensive car and my family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pay off student loans
Rest maybe onto a mortgage? =l

I know, boring... but right now I'm £45k in the hole with student debt...
Put about half of it aside for me and my little bro's uni fees, buy an old caravan to live in, and give the rest to L'Auberge Des Migrants - the charity that helps to look after the refugees in Calais.
Reply 68
FLEX
I'd give half to charity (I'd split it of course, I wouldn't give it to just one), some to my fam, and friends, and set whatever's left aside for myself.
Reply 70
For a realistic approach I would invest it all so I can make more. The other side is, I would buy stuff, like best desktop with best desk, all gadgets.
Original post by Sternumator
I would put it in the stock market for a year or two and then put it towards a house when I'm ready to buy one.

That's not really a life changing amount so I wouldn't change day to day spending.

I guess that's a matter of perspective, but given that the average salary is £23,000~, being given almost five times that amount, in a one off lump sum, is a 'life-changing' amount for most people (depending how you spend it, of course). *
If I was given £100,000 -*

- £35,000 on a deposit for a house
- £30,000 on a pretty decent car
- £10,000 to spend (holiday, expensive watch, clothes etc.)
- £10,000 into a separate savings account (a 'rainy-day fund')
- £5,000 for my parents to spend as they wish*

... though planning for something like that, and how I'd actually react in the situation, are two totally different things I'm sure :tongue:*
Id build an extension on my house, new kitchen, new bathroom
Furniture for the extension
New car
Static caravan so we could get away regularly without having to book anywhere
Anything left would go away to keep caravan going ie ground rent etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Save it and start a small game company.
Original post by Pickles
It's a hard one, but first thing's first I'd go on holiday..
Then a house deposit comes close second...
Probably buy a dog (golden retriever)
Finally, buy a car...

*Out of money*

What would you do with £100,000?

I would exchange the money for US dollars in the first place, since tomorrow I would not even be able to buy a pack of peanuts for £100 000.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Burridge
I guess that's a matter of perspective, but given that the average salary is £23,000~, being given almost five times that amount, in a one off lump sum, is a 'life-changing' amount for most people (depending how you spend it, of course). *

Of course it is relative to earnings.

I also think it really depends on whether you take a long term or short term outlook.

If you think over the next five years, then its a lot of money because a person on average salary can double their spending.

Personally, as someone in my early 20s, I would be thinking long term. On average, I have 50 years left to live so that is only 2k more a year. That is a 8 percent increase for someone on average salary.

That 2k gets spent pretty quickly if you are buying cars and lavish holidays.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Mason
You cannot buy a standard house for 100k, let own a shared flat for that much.

I would invest that money

London and other notoriously expensive areas are not the only places in the world you know. There are plenty of places in the UK that a 100k deposit will be the vast majority of the house price, or even possible to buy outright. Not to mention the UK is not the only place people might want to buy a house.

And no before you say it, they're not dumps or awful areas either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
London and other notoriously expensive areas are not the only places in the world you know. There are plenty of places in the UK that a 100k deposit will be the vast majority of the house price, or even possible to buy outright. Not mention the UK is not the only place people might want to buy a house.

And no before you say it, they're not dumps or awful areas either.

I don't personally live in london, in fact I live in North and even here you can't buy a decent place for anything less than £260k. Most of the houses that are cheaper have size of a garden shed.
Original post by qwertypoiop
I don't personally live in london, in fact I live in North and even here you can't buy a decent place for anything less than £260k. Most of the houses that are cheaper have size of a garden shed.

I've found lots of nice houses near me that cost between 100-180k depending.

Quick Reply

Latest