The Student Room Group

Maths skills test

Hi,
I've failed my maths skills test for the 2nd time... I've passed all of the online practice tests with at least 75%. I also paid for the numeracy ready site and passed all of those too.... Only one shot left 😑
I can't wait two years to retake... I'm already 30 and won't get the chance at a salaried position in 2 years (with the way teacher training is going!!)

All advice is hugely welcome.... Please help!!!
Crumbs. That is really harsh. I used Numeracy Skills Test by Mark Patmore to train myself for the test. For me, the key was to get the mental arithmetic part nailed which took a bit of practice before I found a technique that worked for me. As for the other questions, it is just a case of reading the question very carefully, ensuring that no assumptions are made on questions which require you to figure out which is the highest or lowest and if you have time at the end, go back and check ones you are not sure about. The other thing I worked into my favour was to take my English test immediately before the maths test. Since that was much easier (IMO) it got my head into gear and focused. If you don't have a test, it might be worth taking half an hour out to do some mental arithmetic sums before you sit the exam to warm yourself up.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I found the tips sheet on this website really useful for the mental arithmetic - it just helped me to speed my thinking up enough to get a good pass in that section.

http://www.passtheqtsskillstests.co.uk/You%20should%20know%20these....pdf
Reply 3
Original post by Kayleighcrocco
Hi,
I've failed my maths skills test for the 2nd time... I've passed all of the online practice tests with at least 75%. I also paid for the numeracy ready site and passed all of those too.... Only one shot left 😑
I can't wait two years to retake... I'm already 30 and won't get the chance at a salaried position in 2 years (with the way teacher training is going!!)

All advice is hugely welcome.... Please help!!!

Apologies re-read, maybe a tutor? Or some advice from the skills test booking team... :frown: Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending