The Student Room Group

Black lives matter protest in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Playmaker#10
Yeah it was an accident, for which the police department was held responsible for but here's a black officer killing an unarmed 6 year old boy with autism, without any reasonable media outrage or a white lives matter protest, you know why?

http://downtrend.com/71superb/black-cop-shoots-and-kills-6-year-old-white-boy-with-autism

Because they know that this problem happens to everyone and not just black people

Well then I think it's fair to ask why the white people dont unite with the black people against gun laws and police brutality? I have to ask you, do you think the boy was killed because the officer saw he was white and felt he was a threat? because that's exactly why Bettie was shot, she just opened the door and the police shot her, no weapon, no sudden move… can i also point out the fact that The officer wasn't even aware of the child or his condition, police also have the right to stop and search anyone, they do this unjustifiably more to black people who deal with it on a daily basis. Do you know how many cases there have been where a black person is randomly stopped and is innocent but ends up getting shot but people try justifying it by saying they resisted the police (I personally don't think that justifies a death), well in this case the person fled and refused to follow the polices order. Just to make my point 100% clear, they incriminated themselves by driving off and the officer didn't know about the boy or his condition while we've seen black people with their hands up get shot.

Last note: if you were a parent and you were fleeing the police and they shot your car which injured your son, you'd stop right? To get help for him, especially if you had nothing to be guilty of, why wouldn't you stop? Why would you let them keep shooting then blame it on them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Well then I think it's fair to ask why the white people dont unite with the black people against gun laws and police brutality? I have to ask you, do you think the boy was killed because the officer saw he was white and felt he was a threat? because that's exactly why Bettie was shot, she just opened the door and the police shot her, no weapon, no sudden move… can i also point out the fact that The officer wasn't even aware of the child or his condition, police also have the right to stop and search anyone, they do this unjustifiably more to black people who deal with it on a daily basis. Do you know how many cases there have been where a black person is randomly stopped and is innocent but ends up getting shot but people try justifying it by saying they resisted the police (I personally don't think that justifies a death), well in this case the person fled and refused to follow the polices order. Just make my point 100% clear, they incriminated themselves by driving off and the officer didn't know about the boy or his condition while we've seen black people with their hands up get shot.

Last note: if you were a parent and you were fleeing the police and they shot your car which injured your son, you'd stop right? To get help for him, especially if you had nothing to be guilty of, why wouldn't you stop? Why would you let them keep shooting then blame it on them?

A lot of your facts are really untrue and besides the point, most of the people in America who are stopped and searched are black and Hispanic, not just black people, also hispanic people, that's 1. Secondly, the rate at which black unarmed people have been killed in America is exactly the same rate at which white unarmed people are killed it's 3%, you can do your research and find out. And stop lying about this hands up don't shoot nonsense, we both know that Michael Brown was a criminal thug who charged police officers and did not have his hands up that's a lie, stop spreading lies, it doesn't work on informed people like.

Is there a problem with the excessive force that police officers use in America, yes there is, but to turn around and state that this is a problem specifically aimed at black people is untrue, flawed and disproven on multiple occasions.

The point of the link wasn't to go deep into the reason he was killed, I was just showing you that this sort of thing happens to both races, not just black
Reply 142
Original post by Playmaker#10
A lot of your facts are really untrue and besides the point, most of the people in America who are stopped and searched are black and Hispanic, not just black people, also hispanic people, that's 1. Secondly, the rate at which black unarmed people have been killed in America is exactly the same rate at which white unarmed people are killed it's 3%, you can do your research and find out. And stop lying about this hands up don't shoot nonsense, we both know that Michael Brown was a criminal thug who charged police officers and did not have his hands up that's a lie, stop spreading lies, it doesn't work on informed people like.

Is there a problem with the excessive force that police officers use in America, yes there is, but to turn around and state that this is a problem specifically aimed at black people is untrue, flawed and disproven on multiple occasions.

The point of the link wasn't to go deep into the reason he was killed, I was just showing you that this sort of thing happens to both races, not just black

Thanks for proving that it's all round racism, black people still get stopped and searched more but you're right, hispanics do too! I think you should focus on the argument of black people first before moving onto the Hispanics.

But I'm glad you can see the issue with the police, you're just irritated that BLM is aimed at the black community when it's an all race issue which is fair enough, maybe if they wanted a stronger movement against the police they could bring in the tragedies of innocent white people getting killed because you rightly pointed out it does happen and it does need attention too, I think if the BLM campaign used the tragedies of white people as well to pressure the police more they could see large scale reforms to policing and possibly from the government on the legislative side
Original post by zayn008
Thanks for proving that it's all round racism, black people still get stopped and searched more but you're right, hispanics do too! I think you should focus on the argument of black people first before moving onto the Hispanics.

That statement alone is part of the reason why I refuse to support the BLM movement, this whole idea of me, me, me, me, me, that black people are the only victims of police brutality and violence, that every single black person killed by a police officer didn't warrant the action is completely clueless, selfish and untrue.

It's part of the reason why most people don't see you guys as legitimate.

(The fact that you're funded by billionaire elitist is another reason, but that's irrelevant right now)

Original post by zayn008

But I'm glad you can see the issue with the police, you're just irritated that BLM is aimed at the black community when it's an all race issue which is fair enough, maybe if they wanted a stronger movement against the police they could bring in the tragedies of innocent white people getting killed because you rightly pointed out it does happen and it does need attention too, I think if the BLM campaign used the tragedies of white people as well to pressure the police more they could see large scale reforms to policing and possibly from the government on the legislative side

If they wanted a stronger movement that I would support, they shouldn't be screaming for the deaths of police officers and asking for them to fry, I have nothing against raising awareness for the black community, I believe black civil rights activists like MLK Are legendary people, but for you to ask me to support a group of terrorists that sing "pigs in a blanket fry them" consistently disrupt peaceful political events, riot, loot and burn down homes and areas of their own communities and oversee the murder of innocent black people and having a cop killer as their ideological inspiration is asinine, I'll never support a movement like that.
Reply 144
I actually agree with you, I'm not even an activist for BLM and I don't agree with a lot of what the activists say/do, it doesn't follow the standards of MLK and other notable figures in black rights movements. But look, it's clear there's unjust in the police system and court system of America, it's clear that non-whites have inequalities and BLM is a movement trying to change that, I know it doesn't represent all people and it's quite annoying to always see the black card in play but it's a movement and I don't see any other like it, it's either their pressures or the status quo. It angers me when I see Hispanics trying to raise awareness to their inequalities and the BLM activists brush them off I think it's disgraceful and I often see it on twitter, it should be a campaign of unity not a competition who struggles more but I'm not going to deny that black people face inequalities in the USA so I do support the fundemental message behind BLM however the campaign as a whole I don't back because it is largely fueld by hate and hate campaigns don't deserve a place in this world

Also when I said to focus on black people not Hispanics I didn't mean as a whole, I just meant in this discussion because it's what we were focused on
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 145
Original post by angelaappah
Your hashtag is ridiculous. White lives have ALWAYS mattered. As for your statement, none of the men killed where killed BECAUSE THEY WERE WHITE. Black people are being killed by some police officers BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK. Learn the difference and educate yourself.

Prove it.
Reply 146
Original post by angelaappah
Do you believe that if those two black men who have recently died would be dead if they had been white? No, becuase white men are never seen as a threat. Black on black crime is NOT the issue here. It's quite a stupid point really. There is white on white crime, asian on asian crime etc. You are part of the problem if you really think black people are to blame for the wrongful deaths of their brothers and sisters. A police officer is supposed to shoot as the LAST RESORT. Both men were in no position to harm the officer. White Supermacy does exist; this isn't to say that white people condone this or believe they are better than black people. BLM is not about alientating white people or making out that all white people are racist AS THAT IS NOT TRUE. But we can't scream 'all lives matter' when to many, black lives do not.

Tell that to Dylan Noble.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/jul/07/dylan-noble-fresno-fatal-police-shooting-witness-video

Plenty of people are shot by police under dodgy circumstances in the US, but it only blows up in the media if it's a black guy.
Why are people on here so against blacks showing solidarity for one another? There was never this much backlash when people marched for Paris or when they demonstrated after the Orlando shootings etc. How dare you say 'racism isn't a thing' in England. Maybe it's not a thing if you're NOT an ethnic minority. If you're white, please please do not even attempt contribute negatively to this discussion on race as you have no place to tell black people what they should and shouldn't be feeling. Racism exists everywhere, whether in the UK and USA, and although yes police shootings are relatively unheard of in England, why should we be stopped from conveying our empathy and raising awareness for what goes on in America. I, along with friends and family have been racially profiled numerous times despite never ever having broken the law.
Black Lives Matter is relevant, important and necessary. Do not even come here with your ridiculous 'All Lives Matter' trash. In that case why don't we have LGBTS, including the S for straight people since all sexualities are equally important?
Black man is against cops killing black men. Black man goes out and kills some cops in protest. Black man is made dead by cops (probably white ones). Mission accomplished.
Original post by zayn008
You're right, the facts about the recent shootings haven't been fully confirmed but did you not watch the video, FOUR SHOTS?? Hell a taser would've been enough. Police in america get guns pointed at them by white people and all they do is pull out their guns and ask them to put their gun down also did you see the way they treated the girlfriend, no sympathy to the fact her boyfriend just DIED in front of her eyes instead she's incriminated

If you are on about sterling then they did tase him before that it had no affect, 4 shots because this isn't a movie people can still react and kill officers after being shot.

sometimes when someone has a gun and points it at police they get shot no matter the race, you just see and hear about it when it is a black person because the media know it will sell stories.

From what I know I would say the officer is probably in shock as well and now it seems the stop was because he matched the description of someone who had recently committed armed robbery, if what the girlfriend said is true it is a case of an officer not being adequately trained and put in a situation they are not trained to deal with and if it is true also consider the timing if the officer said get your id then when you are still reaching in your pocket and say I have a gun how is a cop going to react? It depends on the officer.

What evidence is there that this was because of race? Just that the victim is black?

Yes black people are shot at a higher rate than white people but at the same time they also commit more violent crimes pp and that includes killing cops between 2004-2013 from 565 cop killings 243 were committed by black people which black people killing the most in 4 of those years.
(edited 7 years ago)

Have you had a look at why the majority of them were killed?
Original post by zayn008
You're right, the facts about the recent shootings haven't been fully confirmed but did you not watch the video, FOUR SHOTS?? Hell a taser would've been enough. Police in america get guns pointed at them by white people and all they do is pull out their guns and ask them to put their gun down also did you see the way they treated the girlfriend, no sympathy to the fact her boyfriend just DIED in front of her eyes instead she's incriminated

If you want the reason for why it was 4 shots go read up on why in most situations one shot means that the danger leading to the first shot is still present.

In most situations including black people it is true and there are white people who are shot in similar circumstances, I agree there are problems with the US police but I honestly don't think it is a racially issue 99% of the time but an issue of the police being inadequately trained to actually deal with people so they fall back on what they are trained to do which is shoot, one of the reasons we don't have that here is because we realised that you can police people better by having closer ties to it.

The no sympathy thing I would say is down to shock of actually shooting and once again they aren't adequately trained for dealing with people.
Original post by cherryred90s
Have you had a look at why the majority of them were killed?

Yes, there is a problem with looking at just numbers, in this case I was showing there is definitelyno need for BLM here as we don't have the problems the Americans do when it comes to the police shooting people.

The 2 from this year I believe one was accidental when they were performing an arrest and the other the victim had a gun.
Original post by joecphillips
Yes, there is a problem with looking at just numbers, in this case I was showing there is definitelyno need for BLM here as we don't have the problems the Americans do when it comes to the police shooting people.

The 2 from this year I believe one was accidental when they were performing an arrest and the other the victim had a gun.

Nobody said we have the problem here. The BLM movement in the UK is to offer support in regard the lost lives in the US
Original post by cherryred90s
Nobody said we have the problem here. The BLM movement in the UK is to offer support in regard the lost lives in the US

Well as I have stated numerous times I still don't agree with the racial divide BLM is actually expanding and not erasing like they claim to want to do.
Original post by Foo.mp3

Guess British people were just "jumping on the bandwagon" for Orlando and Paris huh?
Racism against minorities in this country is still a huge problem. But the moment BLACK people want to protest, THEY'RE the ones causing a racial divide?

Lmfao give me a break.
I think the problem is that people are looking at it from a racial perspective, whereas it's more of a class issue. The US police kill a disproportionately high amount of black people because black people make up the majority of the lowest class in the US.
Many black Americans are the descendants of slaves and live in ghettos, so it's no surprise that they still make up so much of the lower class.
Police kill the poorest black people and the poorest white people, they kill the homeless, the drug addicted and the mentally ill; the only difference is that when a white heroine addicted redneck gets shot, there's no international uproar.

Looking at these problems from a racial perspective is in itself racist and reactionary and creates racial tension. This isn't a matter of race, but a matter of class.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by joecphillips
If you want the reason for why it was 4 shots go read up on why in most situations one shot means that the danger leading to the first shot is still present.

In most situations including black people it is true and there are white people who are shot in similar circumstances, I agree there are problems with the US police but I honestly don't think it is a racially issue 99% of the time but an issue of the police being inadequately trained to actually deal with people so they fall back on what they are trained to do which is shoot, one of the reasons we don't have that here is because we realised that you can police people better by having closer ties to it.

The no sympathy thing I would say is down to shock of actually shooting and once again they aren't adequately trained for dealing with people.

Perhaps it's time we intervene and show them how it's done, they're always comparing int. police to ours, whether it be how they're not racist, their efforts, their strengths, their braveness or their intelligence :h:
Original post by The Roast
Not sure if serious.

Very. I think that a few more officers have to die before we are taken seriously.
NOTE: I AM NOT ENCOURAGING ANYONE TO KILL/INJURE POLICE OFFICERS

Quick Reply