The Student Room Group

Legal action against college?

Let's start from the beginning, I've been attending this college for the following courses: AS Psychology, AS Mathematics, BTEC Applied Science.

So just like any other courses at the beginning of the year, these courses were going fine. So recently, I have finished AS Psychology exams and the AS mathematics.

However, after those exams we heard some troubling news that none of our courses are running the following year. Because I knew that BTEC couldn't be transferred I decided not to finish handing in the coursework because it'll be a useless qualification if I only get the Sub diploma, where I'm looking in to getting into top tier universities.

So, I think that I've failed the AS Mathematics and I haven't completed the BTEC Applied Science due to the fact it isn't continued. So I am left with AS psychology.

What I'm asking here is that, is it legal for the college to stop running our courses next year if the contract was signed at the beginning of the year that our courses would last two years. Is the college funded by the government for our two year course at the beginning of the year. And how do I take legal action with this if the college is closed?
(edited 7 years ago)
1. Formal complaints procedure with the college. The rules will be on the website or ask for them.
2. SFA of not satisfied by the outcome.

I would think it would depend ipon what course you signed on for and ofc their terms and conditions as to hwther you enrol per year or for a whole course.

You should be able to put a complaint in that you have been unfailry prejudiced and not consulted or informed. I do not know if thats the case or not. What do your tutors say?

The skills funding agency are the people with the real power soalthough you have to go through college first, then they are the people who the college will listen to.

It does sound like you unilaterally compromised your BTEC and performed poorly in maths anyway. I would have looked at the opportunity to transfer although id have expected assistance from the college not to abandon you .

Where does that leave you? Go and see someone in the SU if you have one.
If not you cna email the NUS
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/who-we-are/how-we-work/further-education/

1. internal complaints proc.
2. FSA
3. Find a new college and redo your A level and BTEC.. Whatever the fault of the college you performed less than you needed for two of the subjects.

You cant sue them for you performing poorly in maths or failing to hand in your coursework,
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
I think that I've failed the AS Mathematics and I haven't completed the BTEC Applied Science due to the fact it isn't continued. So I am left with AS psychology.

They're discontinuing A2, not AS. It's your fault for being a ***** and giving up. It's your fault you failed. You could have done your A2 psychology and mathematics somewhere else. While I'm not too sure how BTEC works, since I'm unfamiliar with them, you could have looked into something with the exam board and whatever your new place of study will be.

But no, you gave up. Get over yourself.

Yes, it is my fault that mathematics was failed - not really my subject. While on the other hand I still have the AS psychology which I am pretty certain I did well in. For giving up in the BTEC Applied Science, there was no point finishing it off due to the fact it couldn't be transferred. This is beyound my fault.

Original post by 999tigger
1. Formal complaints procedure with the college. The rules will be on the website or ask for them.
2. SFA of not satisfied by the outcome.

I would think it would depend ipon what course you signed on for and ofc their terms and conditions as to hwther you enrol per year or for a whole course.

You should be able to put a complaint in that you have been unfailry prejudiced and not consulted or informed. I do not know if thats the case or not. What do your tutors say?

The skills funding agency are the people with the real power soalthough you have to go through college first, then they are the people who the college will listen to.

It does sound like you unilaterally compromised your BTEC and performed poorly in maths anyway. I would have looked at the opportunity to transfer although id have expected assistance from the college not to abandon you .

Where does that leave you? Go and see someone in the SU if you have one.
If not you cna email the NUS
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/who-we-are/how-we-work/further-education/

1. internal complaints proc.
2. FSA
3. Find a new college and redo your A level and BTEC.. Whatever the fault of the college you performed less than you needed for two of the subjects.

You cant sue them for you performing poorly in maths or failing to hand in your coursework,

My tutors and my teachers are saying that you signed for next year so you should be able to enrol for it. The fact is that they're leaving too due to the fact that the subjects I'm doing aren't running, and they say if they are running they're more than happy to teach it.

And the fact that BTEC couldn't be transferred to another subject, what was the point of finishing it if it was going to end up as a useless requirement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drunq

My tutors and my teachers are saying that you signed for next year so you should be able to enrol for it. The fact is that they're leaving too due to the fact that the subjects I'm doing aren't running, and they say if they are running they're more than happy to teach it.

What I said make a formal complaint or speak to someone to help you.
Reply 4
What I said make a formal complaint or speak to someone to help you.

Okay thank you very much for the help. I guess this is a dead end, but even if I do make a complaint, it wouldn't just be for myself. Because there are people that have done good in those certain subjects and are still not continuing, so it won't just be me making the complaints.

However, thanks.
Original post by Drunq
Okay thank you very much for the help. I guess this is a dead end, but even if I do make a complaint, it wouldn't just be for myself. Because there are people that have done good in those certain subjects and are still not continuing, so it won't just be me making the complaints.

However, thanks.

You have two issues:

1.The AS maths and BTEC which you got poor marks in because of you.
2. Inconvenience due to cancellation.

Make the complaint as a group.
https://www.gov.uk/complainfurthereducationapprenticeship
Reply 6
You have two issues:

1.The AS maths and BTEC which you got poor marks in because of you.
2. Inconvenience due to cancellation.

Make the complaint as a group.
https://www.gov.uk/complainfurthereducationapprenticeship

I guess this is an option, would have to get back into contact with everyone else - which is fine.

However, the fact I didn't complete the BTEC was because they weren't running it - so that consequence is mine to hold, within that time period was looking for alternatives. However even if the dispute is won - at least it's won for the rest of the students. I wouldn't be able to continue due to the lack of coursework provided.

The fact that even if one of the courses were dropped I'd still have a problem due to the lack of UCAS points. So I think I'd be retaking the A level and picking up 2-3 AS levels with that.

But again, thank you.
If youd have posted here at the time then I would have suggested you do th coursework and seek a transfer.
Reply 8
If youd have posted here at the time then I would have suggested you do th coursework and seek a transfer.

Truly, you've been an absolute help.
Reply 9
Original post by Drunq
I have finished AS Psychology exams and the AS mathematics.

However, after those exams we heard some troubling news that none of our courses are running the following year. Because I knew that BTEC couldn't be transferred I decided not to finish handing in the coursework because it'll be a useless qualification if I only get the Sub diploma, where I'm looking in to getting into top tier universities.

Where did you hear this from? WHat have the college actually said to you? I say this because most of the time when places decide to stop running courses they won't let people enrol on them anymore but current students continue until they have completed the course. My degree, for example, stopped being offered as it was...... however it didn't mean I couldn't complete my final year.
Reply 10
Original post by Jenx301
Where did you hear this from? WHat have the college actually said to you? I say this because most of the time when places decide to stop running courses they won't let people enrol on them anymore but current students continue until they have completed the course. My degree, for example, stopped being offered as it was...... however it didn't mean I couldn't complete my final year.

College said that their weren't enough students on the course. However, when the contracts were signed it said two years. I heard this from the head of a-levels over voicemail... And they waited until we finished college and our exams were over. So in the nicest language available - they f**ked us over.
Original post by Drunq
College said that their weren't enough students on the course. However, when the contracts were signed it said two years. I heard this from the head of a-levels over voicemail... And they waited until we finished college and our exams were over. So in the nicest language available - they f**ked us over.

Yes but have they told you that you are unable to finish the qualification - my degree is no longer running but like I said, I still finish it.*
Reply 12
Original post by Jenx301
Yes but have they told you that you are unable to finish the qualification - my degree is no longer running but like I said, I still finish it.*

It cannot be finished. Couses won't be running in September. They made that very clear. Which is pure bs.

Quick Reply

Latest