The Student Room Group

Failed GCSE English twice and probably next a third time

Hi TSR, back in high school a two years ago I received a grade D in GCSE English Language. The school gave me a second chance to get my 'grade C' and I ended up failing that as well. Then at my college I took it again and I felt even worse while doing the paper because I knew that I had already failed.

I have never been interested in school or pretty much anything The subject just puts me too sleep. I know about 'reading the question at least 3 times', 'highlight key words in the questions and points in the text that relate to the question' and 'plan out your answers before answering the question'. I have done past papers and gotten them graded by my teacher (who hardly gives back the work and has the handwriting of a doctor :I) and sadly I just don't understand the feedback she gives me. I've also had a tutor which was pointless because I just couldn't understand anything.

I wonder sometimes if I'm just really retarded because English is considered to be a pretty easy subject , but I find it fairly hard even harder than science (even though I passed that). I get mostly 1 mark on every question.

So TSR, do you have any advice on what I can do because I give up on repeatedly retaking English. I just don't understand the questions and asking people to explain to me how to answer them is strange because I don't understand them.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rodney98
Hi TSR, back in high school a two years ago I received a grade D in GCSE English Language. The school gave me a second chance to get my 'grade C' and I ended up failing that as well. Then at my college I took it again and I felt even worse while doing the paper because I knew that I had already failed.

I have never been interested in school or pretty much anything The subject just puts me too sleep. I know about 'reading the question at least 3 times', 'highlight key words in the questions and points in the text that relate to the question' and 'plan out your answers before answering the question'. I have done past papers and gotten them graded by my teacher (who hardly gives back the work and has the handwriting of a doctor :I) and sadly I just don't understand the feedback she gives me. I've also had a tutor which was pointless because I just couldn't understand anything.

I wonder sometimes if I'm just really retarded because English is considered to be a pretty easy subject , but I find it fairly hard even harder than science (even though I passed that). I get mostly 1 mark on every question.

So TSR, do you have any advice on what I can do because I give up on repeatedly retaking English. I just don't understand the questions and asking people to explain to me how to answer them is strange because I don't understand them.

You aren't retarded, from the looks of this post alone your practical functional english looks fine and that's very good. What you have to understand is that examiners looks for specific things and if you don't say those things you won't get the marks. I'd recommend getting a CGP GCSE English Language revision guide and reading through it, it might make it clearer for you what is expected from you
Reply 2
Thanks for 'You aren't retarded' :smile:. I do try really hard to comprehend what the examiner wants, but I end up doing something else entirely. Also the CGP book has not helped me one bit even though I have had it for 3 years.

I will try to do a past paper sometime would you care to look at my work?
Thanks for 'You aren't retarded' :smile:. I do try really hard to comprehend what the examiner wants, but I end up doing something else entirely. Also the CGP book has not helped me one bit even though I have had it for 3 years.

I will try to do a past paper sometime would you care to look at my work?

What is it about the questions you find hard to understand? Clearly your comprehension of English is fine judging by our conversation here so there is no real reason you couldn't at least be hitting B's or even A's. It can't be your spelling either. Do you lay out your answer correctly, in paragraphs? Our teachers always taught us 'PEE' (Point, Evidence, Explanation)

It might help to do reading outside of the syllabus. Anything you enjoy is good, Harry Potter, etc

Yes of course I don't mind looking it over for you. I got an A in both English language and literature so I might be able to help you
Hi,I just finished my GCSEs about 2 weeks ago. I like English and I would also be happy to help! :smile: Another technique my school made instead of P.E.E. is P.E.A.R.L (Point+Evidence+Analysis+Reader's Response+Link)
Original post by sulaimanali
Hi,I just finished my GCSEs about 2 weeks ago. I like English and I would also be happy to help! :smile: Another technique my school made instead of P.E.E. is P.E.A.R.L (Point+Evidence+Analysis+Reader's Response+Link)

I'm sure OP will be delighted

@Rodney98
Mate don't lose hope and always remember that practice makes perfect. How did you do in your other qualifications? Anyway you're not retarded I know some very intelligent people that have failed English but easily understand advanced maths. Everyone has different skills and also try not to stress . If for some reason you fail again or you are in doubt than I suggest watching some videos to help you grasp things better . Find your strengths and embrace them.Best of luck for the future
Reply 7

Hi!

Like others have said, stop being so harsh on yourself! :redface: You're probably a lot better than you make yourself out to be. Which exam board are you with?
Reply 8
Original post by luciie
Hi!

Like others have said, stop being so harsh on yourself! :redface: You're probably a lot better than you make yourself out to be. Which exam board are you with?

AQA
Reply 9
AQA

Are you doing higher or foundation?
Reply 10

I have a quick question, are you planning to do the new, Grade 9-1 exam or are you going to re-take with the old exam system?
Well I would say watch the video clips on English from Mr Bruff on youtube
He really analyses in detail and gives sample A* answers
Hope that helped:yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by luciie
Are you doing higher or foundation?

Higher, though it doesn't make a difference.
Reply 13
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Well I would say watch the video clips on English from Mr Bruff on youtube
He really analyses in detail and gives sample A* answers
Hope that helped:yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the suggestion, I have watched his videos, but my problem is very 'dire'.
Reply 14
I don't do coursework.
Reply 15
Original post by RosaA
I have a quick question, are you planning to do the new, Grade 9-1 exam or are you going to re-take with the old exam system?

Absolutely have no clue.
Reply 16
Original post by Thelabtatpast
Mate don't lose hope and always remember that practice makes perfect. How did you do in your other qualifications? Anyway you're not retarded I know some very intelligent people that have failed English but easily understand advanced maths. Everyone has different skills and also try not to stress . If for some reason you fail again or you are in doubt than I suggest watching some videos to help you grasp things better . Find your strengths and embrace them.Best of luck for the future

I failed all of my subjects, except for science I ended passing because I got a B grade in physics. I don't know how I passed because science is another subject that I dislike. I was an abysmal student back in high school.
Reply 17
Absolutely have no clue.

I wish you the best of luck either way! :smile:
Reply 18
Dw! Keep on practicing. Have faith in your ability! In yr 10 english language my result was a D grade, again in yr 11 anddd again in my first year college. Finally, second year I got a B in english language smh😂 bloody cried once I saw I passed. I guess what made the difference was practicing every week and I prayed my heart out!
Reply 19
Original post by MH347
Dw! Keep on practicing. Have faith in your ability! In yr 10 english language my result was a D grade, again in yr 11 anddd again in my first year college. Finally, second year I got a B in english language smh😂 bloody cried once I saw I passed. I guess what made the difference was practicing every week and I prayed my heart out!

I wish I had your determination :/ . Your comment has motivated me to strive for an A* some how.

╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Latest