The Student Room Group

Do you think race is a social construct or biological?

Not sure if this is in the right place..

I believe race could be a social construct and a way to distinguish people. There's no specific gene that's synonymous to a particular "race" and any physical differences are usually as a result of cultural differences and from centuries past.

I'm curious to know your opinions on this!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course it's biological

Black people are genetically black, like asians are genetically asian looking, as are white / caucasian people.
Reply 2
Social. People dont really care what skin colour you are but what the skin colour is associated with
Reply 3
It isn't society that gives black people different DNA to Caucasians
Reply 4
There are genes that contribute to specific phenotypes that can be recognised as what we call different races. The "social construct" argument is a matter of semantics.
Race is NOT biological. It is a social construct. There is no gene or cluster of genes common to all blacks or all whites. Were race “real” in the genetic sense, racial classifications for individuals would remain constant across boundaries.
Probably social.

I may be wrong, but I haven't heard of other animals segregating themselves by phenotypical variation.
Original post by EuanF
It isn't society that gives black people different DNA to Caucasians

Everyone has different DNA though- even people within the same race
Reply 8
The question doesn't make sense, as biology is indeed what makes a white person white and a black person black. If, however, you mean to ask whether there are differences between races beyond appearance, I simply don't know. I reckon there might be differences, but only due to the geological separation of the races. If all the races were allowed to mix and live in a similar area, I reckon overtime the differences will fade, but then again I know nothing about the issue.
Original post by Dr.Snake
Social. People dont really care what skin colour you are but what the skin colour is associated with
How could it be anything but biological? White/Black/Asian people clearly have slightly different genes, hence the (obvious) difference in appearance.

Any association, regardless of what those associations are, doesn't have any bearing on what race a person actually is.
It's a very complicated question because the meaning of 'race', 'social construct' and 'biological' are all misunderstood by most. :redface:
There are biological differences between races. Anyone saying social is in denial.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Not sure if this is in the right place..

I believe race to be a social construct and a way to distinguish people. There's no specific gene that's synonymous to a particular "race" and any physical differences are usually as a result of cultural differences from centuries past.

I'm curious to know your opinions on this!

Biological obviously, someone can't change the concentration of melanin in their skin anymore than you can change gender
Original post by JRKinder
How could it be anything but biological? White/Black/Asian people clearly have slightly different genes, hence the (obvious) difference in appearance.

Any association, regardless of what those associations are, doesn't have any bearing on what race a person actually is.

From wiki:
Race, as a social construct, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics, as well as shared cultural practices and affectations.
Obviously biological, anyone saying otherwise is delusional using made up bs.

Cannot wait for the culling of this new tumblr ideology
Original post by Mango Milkshake
There are biological differences between races. Anyone saying social is in denial.

by the 17th century race began to refer to physical (i.e. phenotypical) traits. The term was often used in a general biological taxonomic sense,[7] starting from the 19th century, to denote genetically differentiated humanpopulations defined by phenotype.

You got corrected by the internet
by the 17th century race began to refer to physical (i.e. phenotypical) traits. The term was often used in a general biological taxonomic sense,[7] starting from the 19th century, to denote genetically differentiated humanpopulations defined by phenotype.

You got corrected by the internet

So are you denying that the differences between races are down to biological (i.e: genetic) factors?

This just proves our point.
I meant to say it can be both :smile:
First part of the paragraph

Race, as a social construct, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics, as well as shared cultural practices and affectations.
I meant to say it can be both :smile:

How so? If race is a social construct in addition to a biological one, can you, with all the best will in the world, change your genes to become a black person like you can change your social class by earning more money and doing a different job? No, you can't. Therefore race is a purely biological thing

Quick Reply

Latest