The Student Room Group

GCSE to A level preparation

Seeing as I don't have a summer job and don't plan on getting one, I don't want to waste away the summer holidays binge watching TV series and merely lounge around.
Hence, I'm asking what I can do to help prepare myself for the dreaded A levels... I'm not going to do too much, but I feel a head-start is invaluable when venturing into key stage 5 so early preparation is what I plan.
The A levels I plan to study are: french, biology, chemistry, and english lit.
Particularly French, I really want to try and consolidate my basic grammar skills before year 12 as a teacher explained to me that not enough time is dedicated to grammar during the school year. Can anyone share any french-grammar related resources?
I also am reading 'The Great Gatsby' on my holiday, which happens to be on the English Lit spec.
I'm grateful for any suggestions!
Original post by Ninestars
Seeing as I don't have a summer job and don't plan on getting one, I don't want to waste away the summer holidays binge watching TV series and merely lounge around.
Hence, I'm asking what I can do to help prepare myself for the dreaded A levels... I'm not going to do too much, but I feel a head-start is invaluable when venturing into key stage 5 so early preparation is what I plan.
Particularly French, I really want to try and consolidate my basic grammar skills before year 12 as a teacher explained to me that not enough time is dedicated to grammar during the school year. Can anyone share any french-grammar related resources?
I also am reading 'The Great Gatsby' on my holiday, which happens to be on the English Lit spec.

Why do you not want to get a job or at least volunteering? That would be s lot more productive than revising for a-levels over summer which is just unnecessary
Reply 2
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Why do you not want to get a job or at least volunteering? That would be s lot more productive than revising for a-levels over summer which is just unnecessary

Not revising, merely some preparation. A job is something I'll pursue during the academic year, not the summer; that's another story.
Not revising, merely some preparation. A job is something I'll pursue during the academic year, not the summer; that's another story.

Fair enough :smile:. You might want to get a head start closer to the summer term though. I think your plans for French and English are great. And you're best of just finding a French grammar book of Amazon really. Learning vocabulary could be useful.

For Biology and Chemistry make sure you're competent with basic GCSE stuff, especially all calculations for chemistry( triple science)- if you are there's nothing to worry about really.

You could buy a CGP guide but I hear it's better to buy textbooks( if your school doesn't provide) as they are more detailed for top grades! Could just have a look at the specifications and get used to style of questions.
Reply 4
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Fair enough :smile:. You might want to get a head start closer to the summer term though. I think your plans for French and English are great. And you're best of just finding a French grammar book of Amazon really. Learning vocabulary could be useful.

For Biology and Chemistry make sure you're competent with basic GCSE stuff, especially all calculations for chemistry( triple science)- if you are there's nothing to worry about really.

You could buy a CGP guide but I hear it's better to buy textbooks( if your school doesn't provide) as they are more detailed for top grades! Could just have a look at the specifications and get used to style of questions.

For chemistry and biology, CGP do 'head start to A level' revision books that I've found are really helpful. You could just look over them before sixth form starts so that it'll be easier and you won't have forgotten much.

Quick Reply

Latest