The Student Room Group

Guys, do you know how to cook??

Scroll to see replies

I used to be able to but I gave myself a really bad cut about 2 years ago and now I'm afraid :frown:
A quick meal is grabbing some instant noodles but making it as a stir fry, fry some veg, boil noodles and put it in then add the sauce.. Have it with any sides, cant go wrong and its better than plain instant noodles :smile:
Original post by tamanna___
A quick meal is grabbing some instant noodles but making it as a stir fry, fry some veg, boil noodles and put it in then add the sauce.. Have it with any sides, cant go wrong and its better than plain instant noodles :smile:

Wtf how does one "boil" water???????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supercrazy21
This is mostly aim at uni students or going to be.

If you can't, what do you eat at uni??

I for one can't cook -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can cook rice (both rice cooker and microwave), oven cook food such as chicken drumsticks, and that's all you really need to know for surviving. Just eat fried egg, buy some ham for lunch with toast and you'll survive. Breakfast- cereal or banana can work. Not sure why I went about this in a reverse chronological order for meal sequences hahaha
Original post by superlazy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put cold water into a kettle
Yep, I can whip up good ass fittle, call me Spongebob lol

Original post by RobML
Yes and I'm great at DIY and fixing things.

this ain't a CV mate
Original post by HistoryDave
I used to be able to but I gave myself a really bad cut about 2 years ago and now I'm afraid :frown:

:cry2:

lol nah I've cuts all over me hands as well from a slip of the knife
Reply 47
yeah, pretty well tbh. I view it as an essential skill to have.
I learned how to cook from working at a pub back in the day when I was still 16 years old and pubs didn't bring in 95% of their food in frozen packs.

I was hired as the one that cleared the tables and served drinks but that pub had a famous British problem of employees forever calling in sick or simply just not being bothered to show up, one day the kitchen porter and the sous chef both didn't turn up for work, the chef told me to be his helper and he simply told me don't bloody bugger up the eggs or bacon and for goodness sake don't burn the toast... LOL and to lose the tie before it caught fire.

Haha I was a bit worried about losing my job as I was saving up my pennies for a trip to Sweden.

First it was doing all the stuff that went with the full English breakfast, then came to lunch. There was the usual mixing the batter for fish and chips and the occasional warming up of the pies. I was so ready to join my British colleagues in calling a sickie not because it was tiring but urghhh couldn't stand the smell and attitude of that northerner chef and his constant mispronouncing of word.

A few more times and the chef himself like most from the North decided to start having a Saturday lay-in and I controlled the kitchen for the entire breakfast menu.

That's how I learned how to cook and before then I had never quite been anywhere near a stove.
Buy vegetables frozen, it's cheaper and comes pre-prepared
Cook carbs in batches
For meat I usually buy frozen minced beef as it's really cheap. I also buy organ meat such as liver, kidney and heart because they're very nutrient dense and super cheap.
Everyone should be able to cook, clean and swim, and guys should be able to do basic DIY tasks.
I started cooking when I was 15, can make pretty much any dish if given the ingredients and some directions. Other recipes I have made myself or already know by heart. I bake some very delicious desserts as well :biggrin:

This is one of the reasons why I don’t like being a student anymore; it would be nice to have a place with my own kitchen where I can cook and bake at my leisure.
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg don't tell me u don't know how to boil some water

...I feel sorry for ur gf

Posted from TSR Mobile
No but I picked catered halls so I'm gonna survive.
I can cook, I'm just a bit picky with food and there aren't many things I like to cook and eat, so I do end up eating junk food and processed food a lot of the time. It's not that cooking is particularly difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

put it in a kettle or on a hob until it bubbles... But put the noodles in or you aint getting nothing but water lol
Original post by S1939
How did that happen? lol

Last month, I and my brother (7 years old ) were alone in the house and were hungry. I felt like having boiled eggs for the breakfast. I reckoned that the purpose of boiling an egg was just to give it some heat (As no water gets mixed wit it when you boil an egg). A brilliant ( :tongue: :biggrin: :tongue: ) idea came into my mind.
I said, let's put eggs into the microwave !?

And then something interesting happened.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
It's honestly not hard. Trial and error, use recipes, experiment. Research, cooke, serve, eat.
Fully catered is expensive and most people live out at least one year

Practice in the summer if you are a fresher. Anything with mince/ veg/ chicken is cheap to knock up. Depends if you have access to a freezer at uni but batch cooing is handy

Uni on campus food is expensive, as are takeaways ( although my local Indian does a £10 curry that will last 2 days)

You can tell the difference between those who can and can't cook in 1st year as those who can't "fill out" due to stodge
There's a lot of recipes out there, from the simple ones to the most difficult ones. Basic cooking like making instant noodles or frying eggs shouldn't be that hard to learn. Practice practice practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest