The Student Room Group

Can I use clearing when I got into my insurance choice?

I narrowly missed my first choice, so I plan on calling them up and seeing if I still have a possibility of getting in. Additionally, I got into my insurance, but I'm having cold feet about going there. Am I allowed to call up universities and see if they'd accept me for clearing, THEN, if they say yes, negotiate a release from my insurance choice and attend the other university through clearing?For reference, my insurance is Birkbeck (economics) but I am 18 years old so I feel like I may be too out of place there. My first choice is University of Manchester.
You can ask but I don't know whether they'd be prepared to discuss it, they must be very busy at this time of year and probably not at all disposed to making unofficial offers over the phone. You really need to be released from your insurance university and enter clearing before a university can consider you.

It was my understanding that a significant number of students on Birkbeck's full time courses are around your age. Have you visited the university?
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
You can ask but I don't know whether they'd be prepared to discuss it, they must be very busy at this time of year and probably not at all disposed to making unofficial offers over the phone. You really need to be released from your insurance university and enter clearing before a university can consider you.

It was my understanding that a significant number of students on Birkbeck's full time courses are around your age. Have you visited the university?

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the post, but I am applying from the US. I have visited some universities last summer, but Birkbeck is one I researched later, and unfortunately I was not able to visit, though from spending time in London (as it is my home town) I do know the area so I'm not completely in the dark as to what it's like. And although they were my last choice, they gave me the best offer that I decided to use as my insurance. The statistics I found from Birkbeck say its only 10% 18-20, about 40% 21-30, and 50% over 30, so I am a bit nervous now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by linkolphd
I narrowly missed my first choice, so I plan on calling them up and seeing if I still have a possibility of getting in. Additionally, I got into my insurance, but I'm having cold feet about going there. Am I allowed to call up universities and see if they'd accept me for clearing, THEN, if they say yes, negotiate a release from my insurance choice and attend the other university through clearing?For reference, my insurance is Birkbeck (economics) but I am 18 years old so I feel like I may be too out of place there. My first choice is University of Manchester.

If you have been rejected from Manchester on Track, then it is game over, and calling will do no good. If there is still no decision, then call to ask. Universities are not allowed to talk with you about Clearing if you are not actually in Clearing, although that message is not always communicated to the people on the phones all that well. That means that you are facing a situation where you are going to have to ask to be placed into Clearing by your insurance before you can accept a place elsewhere. It is intended to stop people having their cake and eating it, which I am sure you can understand. If you definitely don't want to go to Birkbeck in any circumstances, then you have nothing to lose in asking to go into Clearing.
Call Manchester on Monday morning and ask if they're going to accept you or not.

There's no point in spiralling off into contingency plans before you have an answer from Manchester.

I would also recommend you ask birkbeck the % mature students on your course rather than judge on overall stats (which will be skewed by the large part time population).

Original post by linkolphd
Reply 5
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you have been rejected from Manchester on Track, then it is game over, and calling will do no good. If there is still no decision, then call to ask. Universities are not allowed to talk with you about Clearing if you are not actually in Clearing, although that message is not always communicated to the people on the phones all that well. That means that you are facing a situation where you are going to have to ask to be placed into Clearing by your insurance before you can accept a place elsewhere. It is intended to stop people having their cake and eating it, which I am sure you can understand. If you definitely don't want to go to Birkbeck in any circumstances, then you have nothing to lose in asking to go into Clearing.

Yes I understand, I was just hoping they would allow you to negotiate before you are technically in Clearing, but oh well. I'll do more research then think about negotiating a release. Thank you for the reply.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Call Manchester on Monday morning and ask if they're going to accept you or not.

There's no point in spiralling off into contingency plans before you have an answer from Manchester.

I would also recommend you ask birkbeck the % mature students on your course rather than judge on overall stats (which will be skewed by the large part time population).

Good idea, will try!

Quick Reply

Latest