The Student Room Group

Pretty Universities in the UK

does anyone know of any gorgeous universities in the UK that offer Chemistry undergraduate? I find that my surroundings really help me focus and can't wait to study at a place that has a historical feel. St Andrews is an example of a uni I find pretty, if that helps anyone.

also, p.s. please don't say it's dumb to value the aesthetics of a uni, obviously the course content is majorly important to me as well lol
Oxford, Cambridge, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Durham, St Andrews and Aberdeen all have pretty gothic buildings.
Reply 2
Nottingham has a lovely lake and a grade II listed building, and is very green :smile:
Original post by janetmbabirye
does anyone know of any gorgeous universities in the UK that offer Chemistry undergraduate? I find that my surroundings really help me focus and can't wait to study at a place that has a historical feel. St Andrews is an example of a uni I find pretty, if that helps anyone.

also, p.s. please don't say it's dumb to value the aesthetics of a uni, obviously the course content is majorly important to me as well lol

I looked at the 'pretty buildings' too don't worry :wink:

Cardiff, Bangor and Birmingham.
Oxford and Cambridge, if you want guaranteed beauty. I also feel the need to go somewhere aesthetically outstanding; you're not alone! :h::h:

As the others gave said, Durham and of course Oxford and Cambridge are pretty. I'm not sure what Bath uni itself if like, but it's literally right next door to Bath which is one of the most beautiful cities in England that I have ever visited. It has a Cathedral, lots of history, old Roman Baths, museums (and a Jane Austen centre!).
I hear bath is beautiful. But stay away from any London unis of you want something aesthetically pleasing. Especially Queen Marys.

Original post by emiloujess
I looked at the 'pretty buildings' too don't worry :wink:Cardiff, Bangor and Birmingham.
Doesn't Cardiff also have a prison that's like a 10 min walk from the uni though?
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you looking for pretty buildings or surrounding scenery?

Many of the unis that are supposedly pretty tend to have just 1 or 2 buildings that are pretty while the rest are your usual utilitarian built buildings. Some very old buildings are just that it may be old and pretty on the outside but it can also be old and nasty on the inside.
Original post by lucabrasi98
I hear bath is beautiful. But stay away from any London unis of you want something aesthetically pleasing. Especially Queen Marys.

Doesn't Cardiff also have a prison that's like a 10 min walk from the uni though?

So does RHUL and Durham, your point?

It's my firm and I'm completely in love with it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Warwick University has numerous lovely spots, it was voted the number 1 campus university in the UK, but also it is a place of academic excellence.
Definitely Oxford, Cambridge, Bath and Durhman.

You'll notice a lot of the Russell group unis are the ones that are "pretty" as they tend to be fairly old
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by katherine9609
Definitely Oxford, Cambridge, Bath and Durhman.
You'll notice a lot of the Russell group unis are the ones that are "pretty" as they tend to be fairly old

Bath University is not old, nor pretty, but the city is. Nor is it Russell Group, for the sake of completeness.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Bath University is not old, nor pretty, but the city is. Nor is it Russell Group, for the sake of completeness.

Never said Bath was old. Never did I also say it was a Russell group uni. I was simply stating what unis I think are pretty in MY opinion and then added how most Russell group unis tend to be old unis hence most are seen as pretty due to their buildings
Original post by katherine9609
Never said Bath was old. Never did I also say it was a Russell group uni. I was simply stating what unis I think are pretty in MY opinion and then added how most Russell group unis tend to be old unis hence most are seen as pretty due to their buildings

The list in your first sentence appeared to be linked with the statement in your second.
Original post by emiloujess
So does RHUL and Durham, your point?

It's my firm and I'm completely in love with it.

Good for you.

It's still a bad thing though. It was another thing that made me dislike the uni. Plus when I visited, the uni didn't look that pretty anyway. Idk what you saw that made you put it in a top 3.
Reply 15
Greenwich is really pretty, so is the University of Surrey (it's pretty green out there)
Original post by lucabrasi98
Good for you.

It's still a bad thing though. It was another thing that made me dislike the uni. Plus when I visited, the uni didn't look that pretty anyway. Idk what you saw that made you put it in a top 3.

I guess different people like different things. I love Wales in general so that may have been a part of it :biggrin:
York is the prettiest city you will ever visit.

The university, on the other hand, is a brutalist abomination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending