The Student Room Group

Which countries have the worst patriarchies?

Just interested to see a discussion.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Countries without a feminist movement. Where the women are either happy with their men, or keep quiet about it. Countries where the women are least happy and constantly complaining of sexism from their men e.g. Sweden, USA etc. are the ones where women have it good.
(edited 7 years ago)
The worst? That would be the countries with girls and women entering STEM in numbers that would give most feminists wet dreams.
India, China, Russia etc.
Reply 3
Original post by cipi
Countries without a feminist movement. Where the women are either happy with their men, or keep quiet about it. Countries where the women are least happy and constantly complaining of sexism from their men e.g. Sweden, USA etc. are the ones where women have it good.

I'm sure Saudi school girls love being trapped in a burning building because the authorities won't let them out without the correct amount of cloth covering them.
Reply 4
Original post by caravaggio2
The worst? That would be the countries with girls and women entering STEM in numbers that would give most feminists wet dreams.
India, China, Russia etc.

I'm pretty sure there are worse countries for women than China and Russia, and even India. Many worse, in fact. The fact that gang rapes even make the news in India puts it above many Islamic countries.
Saudi Arabia - the fact that women aren't allow to drive says a lot.
Globally: Saudi Arabia
In the west: Japan
In Europe: Bosnia
In western Europe: Italy
In North America: Mexico
In South America: Venezuela
In Africa: The Sudan
In Eastern Asia: Malysia
Reply 7
OP just wants to fling mud at Islam and feminism in one place. He couldn't even be bothered to type out an opening post.
Reply 8
Original post by KingBradly
I'm sure Saudi school girls love being trapped in a burning building because the authorities won't let them out without the correct amount of cloth covering them.

Yet you never hear a lot about feminist movements from those countries. Not even secular ones like Turkey. Which suggests to me the women are content with their place in society. This is the opposite to feminist societies like Sweden and Germany, where the women just want more and more and more.
Reply 9
Saudi Arabia and Iran must be top
Any country from the middle east or Africa, bonus points if the nation is Islamic.
Reply 11
Original post by offhegoes
OP just wants to fling mud at Islam and feminism in one place. He couldn't even be bothered to type out an opening post.

I was interested to see whether anyone would claim that Western countries have the worst patriachies.
Original post by cipi
Yet you never hear a lot about feminist movements from those countries. Not even secular ones like Turkey. Which suggests to me the women are content with their place in society. This is the opposite to feminist societies like Sweden and Germany, where the women just want more and more and more.

Because there would be severe consequences if they did? They probably think why suffer for more when they can suffer for less
Reply 13
Original post by KingBradly
I was interested to see whether anyone would claim that Western countries have the worst patriachies.

I doubt anyone believes that, but hopefully no-one is ignorant enough to use the worst regimes and societies in the world in terms of the lives of women as a benchmark against which to just Western societies :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
Because there would be severe consequences if they did? They probably think why suffer for more when they can suffer for less

I don't think that's 100% right. Turkey is pretty secular. Also when Muslims immigrate to feminist countries, the feminists seem to respect them e.g. you would never see a feminist group desecrate a mosque, but they desecrate churches all the time. Women don't like weak men, they respect men like this:

...but are always complaining ('ah the patriachy') about losers like this, because they are doormats:

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Any country that practises FGM is a serious contender.
Original post by cipi
I don't think that's 100% right. Turkey is pretty secular. Also when Muslims immigrate to feminist countries, the feminists seem to respect them e.g. you would never see a feminist group desecrate a mosque, but they desecrate churches all the time.

All the time?? I haven't even heard of one instance where this has happened
I hold that the most extreme Patriarchies are in Western societies, because the concept of Patriarchy doesn't exist outside the West.
Reply 18
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
All the time?? I haven't even heard of one instance where this has happened

Look up 'feminist attacks on churches' or something. One example (archbishop):

...can't imagine them doing this to an Imam.
Original post by cipi
I don't think that's 100% right. Turkey is pretty secular. Also when Muslims immigrate to feminist countries, the feminists seem to respect them e.g. you would never see a feminist group desecrate a mosque, but they desecrate churches all the time. Women don't like weak men, they respect men like this:

...but are always complaining ('ah the patriachy':wink: about losers like this, because they are doormats:

Would you do this to your mother?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending