The Student Room Group

Saying"white lives matter" to counter "black lives matter" is ridiculous..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrincessZara
Black lives matter

Ok so now you have changed your post from 'white lives matter' to 'black lives matter' in the space of 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure after your demanding request of where 'credit' is for white people, this is just your attempt at getting reps.

Pretty pathetic.
Reply 21
It is very simple. Responding #whitelivesmatter or #alllivesmatter to #blacklivesmatter, is equivalent to running into a funeral saying "I've experienced loss too", or going to a cancer research fundraiser and shouting "There are other diseases". It's true, but that isn't the point.
Of course black lives matter and of course white lives matter as well. And certainly the 'white lives matter' claim is not really appropriate as a response.

However, this does not mean that 'black lives matter' is a 'good' claim. Largely, it seems to seperate the country (USA in this example) into essentially just black people and 'non discriminated people' (largely referring to white people) and does not seem to care about other discriminated groups.

As a result, it is still decisively inferior to 'all lives matter' in terms of correctness, even if 'all lives matter' does not directly refer to the deaths of black men against white police.
American cops are racist corrupt donuts

And now you have changed this post form your original ' where is the credit for white people attacked by the cops ' to this sudden support?

Pray tell what has changed your mind so quickly?
Original post by Pineapplefridge
Ok so now you have changed your post from 'white lives matter' to 'black lives matter' in the space of 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure after your demanding request of where 'credit' is for white people, this is just your attempt at getting reps.

Pretty pathetic.

Didnt want a a white person typing "white lives matter" to "discredit" black folks and then keeping it there

Might as well change it brown lives matter for the people dying in syria too, huh watcha think
Black lives Matter ❤❤❤

(Original post by PrincessZara)More whites have been killed by cops then blacks have. Why dont the white people get the credit

Did you forget your original post? Why the sudden change of heart that has lead you to edit every single one of your posts to one that supports BLM when you were just challenging me about its credibility as a movement 5 minutes ago?
And now you have changed this post form your original ' where is the credit for white people attacked by the cops ' to this sudden support?

Pray tell what has changed your mind so quickly?

The moment that one racist person cant remove their rep [trollface] lol
(Original post by PrincessZara)More whites have been killed by cops then blacks have. Why dont the white people get the credit

Did you forget your original post? Why the sudden change of heart that has lead you to edit every single one of your posts to one that supports BLM when you were just challenging me about its credibility as a movement 5 minutes ago?

Fam allow me innit
Perhaps this will help some of you understand:

Didnt want a a white person typing "white lives matter" to "discredit" black folks and then keeping it there

Might as well change it brown lives matter for the people dying in syria too, huh watcha think

So you don't actually care about BLM, you are just concerned about the optics and how your previous posts will make you look.

Phony.
Original post by StrawbAri
1. Then why don't they? When police brutalise white people why don't you go on the streets and demand justice? Why do people shrug it off and expect black people to do the same when it happens to them? There is no law banning white people from protesting police brutality. And white people make up 62% of America's population so it makes sense that they are killed more.

I literally just now added this into a post further up and I generally agree. White people are generally very accepting of use of violence by figures of authority and there is no reason why White people should not protest use of police violence against White people or call for changes in policing doctrine.

Original post by StrawbAri

2. Except the enemy of racism does exist. BLM might not be going about it in the best way but black people still have a right to protest racism.
And the onus is on the government of America and black people in positions of power to alleviate black poverty.

It exists sure, but there has to be a willingness to accept the foremost cause of deaths of Black people and address this rather than blaming the establishment for every problem they face.

On the issue of Black poverty it has to work both ways, those people in positions of power should ensure that the structural circumstances are such that Black people have the opportunity to improve their economic position, by this I mean better schools and safer communities, but people are responsible for their own empowerment this is an attitude which has to be fostered, people have to be taught that they have power over their own lives.

It's not just Black people btw, in the UK you get White people from former-Industrial heartlands in the north or ex-fishing communities along coastal areas who ***** and moan about the EU, the immigrants whatever, but ultimately it's on them to improve their lives rather than creating this cargo-cult mentality where you expect Westminster politicians to solve your problems.
Reply 31
Original post by BankOfPigs
Of course black lives matter and of course white lives matter as well. And certainly the 'white lives matter' claim is not really appropriate as a response.

However, this does not mean that 'black lives matter' is a 'good' claim. Largely, it seems to seperate the country (USA in this example) into essentially just black people and 'non discriminated people' (largely referring to white people) and does not seem to care about other discriminated groups.

As a result, it is still decisively inferior to 'all lives matter' in terms of correctness, even if 'all lives matter' does not directly refer to the deaths of black men against white police.

If you read what I wrote, you will see that while it is true all lives matter, campaigns ultimately cannot be about everyone. Presumably it is true for all campaigns that they are only targeting a specific group of people, but that doesn't mean other groups don't exist or matter. Under your paradigm, would you also complain that specific campaigns about people with AIDS are wrong, since they exclude those with Zika? No, because each campaign has its own purpose.
Reply 32
Original post by Radmanistan
95% of people killed by the police are male, yet men form just under half the American population, does this indicate that American police are sexist?

lol at no replies to this so far. I bet the immediate argument that comes to people's minds is "well, men are just more violent/commit more crimes!" and then they realise their double standard and have nothing
I 100% agree.

The default in America has always been that white lives are worth more than black lives, or ethnic minority lives in general.

Of course if people were to be asked if they value black lives less they'd obviously say no. But it's not as explicit as that, it's perhap not even a conscious awareness for some. But it's there. White people are still valued more highly in America.

The statistics for the statement 'more white people have been killed by cops' please?

Because you've provided absolutely no background context for that. For example, the population size? It may be that yes in some regions more white people have been killed by cops, but perhaps that area has a significantly higher % of white people? So yes whilst more white people have been killed, the proportion of black killings may be higher.

Also, you aren't giving any context into the background. Perhaps more white people have been killed by cops when involved in serious, violent or organised crimes. But perhaps more blacks people have been shot when involved in more petty crimes.
Reply 35
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol at no replies to this so far. I bet the immediate argument that comes to people's minds is "well, men are just more violent/commit more crimes!" and then they realise their double standard and have nothing

What double standard? Men commit more violent crimes. that has been statistically proven, and is proportionate with the number of killings. Black people make up 26% of fatal police shootings. They only make up 13% of the population. Therefore-->DISPROPORTIONATE
Reply 36
Original post by xkalibrr
What double standard? Men commit more violent crimes. that has been statistically proven, and is proportionate with the number of killings. Black people make up 26% of fatal police shootings. They only make up 13% of the population. Therefore-->DISPROPORTIONATE

The double standard is that, proportionally, black people commit more violent crimes, just like, proportionally (and, in this case, directly, but proportion is what is important here), men commit more violent crimes. For instance, black people make up 52.5% of homicide offenders despite only making up 13% of the population and looking at this (though the including Hispanics stuff makes it a little less accurate I suppose) http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/apr/02/sally-kohn/sally-kohn-white-men-69-percent-arrested-violent/ we see that black people committed 36.9% of the violent crimes in 2012 despite only making up 13% of the population.
edit: Actually I misread, as this is arrest data, not convictions but I think still pertinent.
double edit: obviously I am talking about the US here to clarify
(edited 7 years ago)
"#AllLivesMatter" is living proof of when white people feel the need to make themselves the victims when they're not
Reply 38
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The double standard is that, proportionally, black people commit more violent crimes, just like, proportionally (and, in this case, directly, but proportion is what is important here), men commit more violent crimes. For instance, black people make up 52.5% of homicide offenders despite only making up 13% of the population and looking at this (though the including Hispanics stuff makes it a little less accurate I suppose) http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/apr/02/sally-kohn/sally-kohn-white-men-69-percent-arrested-violent/ we see that black people committed 36.9% of the violent crimes in 2012 despite only making up 13% of the population.
edit: Actually I misread, as this is arrest data, not convictions but I think still pertinent.

Yes, but you do have to factor in other factors. Like I'm not denying they do commit more crimes, but you have to remember a few things.
1. There is inherent bias that means they are more likely to be arrested. Not only subconscious bias by officers, but also systemic issues like racial profiling. --> Data might not be truly representative
2. Well, yes, they might commit more crimes. But it is the response that is important here. There is absolutely no need to use your gun as a first response, and the fact is, police officers shooting black criminals happens more often than necessary, in comparison to the number of times where police officers have pulled their gun at a white criminal
Original post by ubiquitousking
This assumes both genders are equally likely to commit a crime that, in some way, warrants fatal responses, for which you'll need to source me.

And races?

The fact is blacks are an outrageously criminal population in the US, so much so that they have driven millions or tens of millions, mostly white, to flee cities to which blacks have moved over the 20th century, which they have then destroyed.

Black Lives Matter probably has a point in some individual cases - the police really aren't held to the same standards as the public, in any country - but they obscure the most important issue here which is that black crime does not seem to have any solution other than the separation of blacks into ghettos. Indeed they seem to be calling for policies that would amount in practice to the legalisation of crime by blacks.

Quick Reply

Latest