The Student Room Group

NHS is a joke

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
You do realise that gynaecomastia is not caused by being fat right? You can be a perfectly healthy weight and with a low body fat percentage and still have it. It's hormonal.

@OP I'm sorry that you aren't going to be covered by the NHS. I suppose all you can really do is save up and go private, it should cost around £3k give or take for the surgery. If you put your mind to it and are very frugal you could save that amount within a year or two depending on your expenses.

Thank you.
I really do feel for what you are going through. The doctors here in my city anyways are very careless and just brush you off. I cannot have children anymore because of doctors negligence and my Dad also died because of the doctors negligence.
Original post by Zygomaticus
I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds like a really unfortunate system. Sadly there are a plethora of conditions I've seen which don't get the funding for the treatments and the health economists try to use a policy of greatest good for the greatest number.

Whilst I don't want to demean you regarding the treatment, there are things you can do to help! From reading the thread it seems like bullying and social aspects are key issues. You can always consult and seek help regarding these matters! You're not alone out there and there are things that can be done to help :smile: you're probably a fantastic individual full of potential and you just need to tap into it and give yourself that little spark to set off.

As for the idiots asking why he feels entitled. The NHS is free to the point of delivery for certain hospital care. Whilst 95% of patients can have their treatments delivered to them by experts, some cannot. Health economics play a big part and clinicians maybe overlook somethings. Having a medical degree, 9 years of post grad training doesn't make you perfect!

Have a little bit of consideration for what OP is feeling and realise that by demeaning him, you're exacerbating the issue. Whilst I can't offer OP a panacea, I can try to offer advice which hopefully some others can also do!

Thanks mate, appreciate it
This is a simple case of a new wave of mental health issues having a wider impact than anticipated. The Health Service cannot be expected to simply act on these new issues with funding being cut. Please, take this up with your local representative. Mental health is an unknown but also consider that others are in a more difficult situation to you and are prioritised before you, there are consequences to these procedures you probably aren't aware of.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I really do feel for what you are going through. The doctors here in my city anyways are very careless and just brush you off. I cannot have children anymore because of doctors negligence and my Dad also died because of the doctors negligence.

Sorry to hear that
Original post by Seamus123
To the OP. Stop whining for a moment and I'll tell you what life was like before we had the NHS. I was born in 1948, the year the NHS was born.
I spent my young years in a children's home. There were at least 300-500 children in that home at any given time, and there were many homes like this all over Britain.
Malnutrition, polio, diphtheria, measles, TB. I watched children my own age die from these diseases. The NHS came too late for them. It may not be perfect, but it's what we have.

Right, I get it there is better things than my gynecomastia that NHS should be dealing with but even those things are not being dealt properly. I wasn't just talking about the fact that I didn't get a treatment. I was talking about the current state of NHS in general
Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately the NHS just doesn't have the resources to pay for treatment for every single person with certain conditions.

You have to be classed as depressed and the condition having an adverse effect on your life and mental health in order to receive treatment from the NHS, otherwise you go private
Original post by angelseyes
Our Nhs is in the brink of calapse and all people can think of is why wont they cover me for this or that! There's no dam staff to even look after seriously ill people properly let on added extras like this. Unbelievable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right I am not being cheeky/funny here and this is a geniune question I don't know the answer to. Since NHS is understaffed why can't they hire more people or maybe let more people into uni ?
Original post by Anonymous
Well today after wasting year and a half I got told I can't get the treatment i need. After an appointment with a psychologist, they found that I am not insane enough so the consultant basically asked me to f off and get the treatment privately. I am aware there is better things, than gynecomastia, that NHS should be spending money on but just because I am not gonna self harm or I am not depressed or have anxiety doesn't mean I shouldn't get the treatment.

It depends on how much of a priority you are. If you don't like the nhs why don't you pay for your treatment or go to a country where you have to pay for your medical expenses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spv
So just because you have man boobs, you want the NHS to pay to remove them? If every obese/fat person with the condition had it, do you really expect them to pay for it? Where does the line end? I'm not happy with how thin my lips are, can I have fillers put in?

Get over yourself dude.

It's very easy to say get over it, but its very hard to actually get over it mate. specially when there's like 100 teenagers in school making fun of you and the fact that everytime you go out the house you have to make sure nobody can notice them. And you can't do certain things i.e. swimming and can't wear certain types of clothes.
Original post by redleader1
It depends on how much of a priority you are. If you don't like the nhs why don't you pay for your treatment or go to a country where you have to pay for your medical expenses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the whole point of nhs is free healthcare and yeah I will have to go private now anyway. But I doubt it will be anytime soon since am still in school. I'll have start saving up first
Another thing with going private is I'll really have to convince my parents and I don't thing they'll let me go abroad because my brother had a really really minor throat surgery abroad which went wrong and he passed away. So if I was to get it through nhs it would've been easier to convince them aswell.
Reply 32
They should introduce an NHS premium package for people like you, you get your treatment and they get their funding!
Nurses and doctors are no longer valued. One of my daughters works for the NHS. She is a Ward Sister on a busy Cardiac ward. She has to do Agency work to make ends meet.
The NHS creaking under the strain of having to meet the needs of a growing population, the fact that people are now living longer and as a previous poster has said, new conditions and illnesses now have to be dealt with.
You would be waiting a lot longer if you lived elsewhere in the world. Like most things in life, if you really want it, sacrifices have to be made. The pot is nearly empty.
Right I am not being cheeky/funny here and this is a geniune question I don't know the answer to. Since NHS is understaffed why can't they hire more people or maybe let more people into uni ?

And get the money from where?
Original post by Tiger Rag
And get the money from where?

Never thought of that. I always wonder why the government people can't just print more money.
They just don't have the funding or the resources to cover everyone for everything, unfortunately. There's a lot of other people that need help too. You're not alone. The only thing you can do is go back to your GP, explain what happened, and see if there's anything else you can try.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
They just don't have the funding or the resources to cover everyone for everything, unfortunately. There's a lot of other people that need help too. You're not alone. The only thing you can do is go back to your GP, explain what happened, and see if there's anything else you can try.[/QUOT
Yeah I should probably speak to my GP. Thank you
Another thing with going private is I'll really have to convince my parents and I don't thing they'll let me go abroad because my brother had a really really minor throat surgery abroad which went wrong and he passed away. So if I was to get it through nhs it would've been easier to convince them aswell.

You don't have to go abroad to get private treatment. :erm:
Reply 39
Well today after wasting year and a half I got told I can't get the treatment i need. After an appointment with a psychologist, they found that I am not insane enough so the consultant basically asked me to f off and get the treatment privately. I am aware there is better things, than gynecomastia, that NHS should be spending money on but just because I am not gonna self harm or I am not depressed or have anxiety doesn't mean I shouldn't get the treatment.

Education and Health are NOT free in this country, in my opinion, to the standard they are telling us.

If they were why do rich people send their kids to private schools and have private health insurance?

Quick Reply

Latest