The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Scroll to see replies

What's the expected method for Q8 pg 29 in the beardon book? : " Show that for some integer m, 3m=1 3^{m} = 1 in Z7 \mathbb{Z}_{7} . Deduce that 7 divides 1+32001 1+3^{2001} ".

I just checked a couple of m values and pretty easy to see it works for m=6. So then I said 32001=32001333(6)=33 3^{2001} = 3^{2001-333(6)}=3^{3} (mod 7) so 32001+1=27+1=0mod7 3^{2001} +1 = 27+1 = 0 mod 7 . Is there a more general way without having to specifically work out m?
Original post by krishdesai7
Yeah lol. I spend so much time trying to figure out what exactly the difference between co-domain and range is before I finally gave up.

Ooooh, get used to it, there's a lot of that coming your way :smile: Got to have coimages and kernels and cokernels yet!
Original post by EnglishMuon
What's the expected method for Q8 pg 29 in the beardon book? : " Show that for some integer m, 3m=1 3^{m} = 1 in Z7 \mathbb{Z}_{7} . Deduce that 7 divides 1+32001 1+3^{2001} ".

I just checked a couple of m values and pretty easy to see it works for m=6. So then I said 32001=32001333(6)=33 3^{2001} = 3^{2001-333(6)}=3^{3} (mod 7) so 32001+1=27+1=0mod7 3^{2001} +1 = 27+1 = 0 mod 7 . Is there a more general way without having to specifically work out m?

Just FLT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

oh yea lol for the first bit

I don't see this as being too different from any expected method tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
I don't see this as being too different from any expected method tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

kk, thanks. Sometimes I just have no idea if im being really dumb as its feels strange not to check every solution you do against some ms :tongue:
kk, thanks. Sometimes I just have no idea if im being really dumb as its feels strange not to check every solution you do against some ms :tongue:

I've started to implement a mental checklist, if at every stage I can feasibly follow my working without any undue assumptions, I can be reasonably convinced that my solution is correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is that a typo on q6 page 41 of Beardon? In mine it says az+ (b bar) z but i think its meant to say az + b (z bar)
Original post by Gregorius
Ooooh, get used to it, there's a lot of that coming your way :smile: Got to have coimages and kernels and cokernels yet!

Oh god no. Why you do this to me. This is downright torture. Aren't kernels bad enough that one must throw cokernals at me too.
Aren't kernels the popcorn thing.
One thing i learnt from edexcel physics. Qed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah m8, ur thinking of potato batteries. kernels are wat k is for in kfc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah kernels are the popcorn thing. But they're the nice kernels. (Don't judge me but I actually like eating them from the bottom of the popcorn bowl) But no; the kernals I've been talking about are the members of the input (domain?) that map to zero under a given transformation. At least that's what I've understood. It's also very plausible that I'm really stupid and Dr Cowley was in fact talking about the popcorn thing
nah m8, ur thinking of potato batteries. kernels are wat k is for in kfc.

Close but not quite, Kernel is the guy who started Kfc, the K stands for Kool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Um guys, could I have a bit of help with this question?

Beardon book page 11, EX 1.3, Q5
Suppose that the permutation ρ of {1,...,n} satisfies ρ3=I \rho^3 = I . Show that ρ is a product of 3-cycles, and deduce that if n is not divisible by 3 then ρ fixes some k in {1,...,n}
Um guys, could I have a bit of help with this question?

Beardon book page 11, EX 1.3, Q5
Suppose that the permutation ρ of {1,...,n} satisfies ρ3=I \rho^3 = I . Show that ρ is a product of 3-cycles, and deduce that if n is not divisible by 3 then ρ fixes some k in {1,...,n}

Think about the orbit decomposition of any permutation, e.g. why can't we have 2 cycles or 4+ cycles in this case? Also remember that 1-cycles fix elements so by definition any power of one cycles is the identity so they don't effect anything.

Further hint:

Spoiler

Think about the orbit decomposition of any permutation, e.g. why can't we have 2 cycles or 4+ cycles in this case? Also remember that 1-cycles fix elements so by definition any power of one cycles is the identity so they don't effect anything.

Further hint:

Spoiler

Thanks :smile: I wasn't thinkijg of it in terms of orbit decompositions, so that's where I got stuck
Thanks :smile: I wasn't thinkijg of it in terms of orbit decompositions, so that's where I got stuck

np :smile:
Anyone got some hints for Q3 p51 of Beardon? aside from faffing about with Vieta's/ triangle inequalities Ive not got too far...
Reply 358
Anyone got some hints for Q3 p51 of Beardon? aside from faffing about with Vieta's/ triangle inequalities Ive not got too far...

For some real x=1+1n1x = 1 + \frac{1}{n-1}

Spoiler

basically follow that till you get to xn>x+1x^n > x+1, then it's just

Then:

Spoiler

I've tried to spoiler it as much as possible. :-)
Original post by Zacken
For some real x=1+1n1x = 1 + \frac{1}{n-1}

Spoiler

basically follow that till you get to xn>x+1x^n > x+1, then it's just

Then:

Spoiler

I've tried to spoiler it as much as possible. :-)

ah yes, thanks. That was suprisingly simple after trying the
xn=(1+(x1))nx^n = (1 + (x-1))^n trick

Quick Reply

Latest