The Student Room Group

On a scale from from 1 to 10 How religious do you think are the "Islamic Terrorists"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
And ISIS will say exactly the same about moderate muslims. So what makes your opinion objectively correct and theirs wrong?

My opinion is well informed and thought out.
Besides, I've established everything in the above paragraph. Would you take anyone seriously that slaughters people for the 'sake of a religion'?
No.
They think they're 10s, what we think is irrelevant.
Reply 22
Original post by The_Opinion
10, they follow what their religion says.

Clearly.
Original post by CorpusLuteum
My opinion is well informed and thought out.
Besides, I've established everything in the above paragraph. Would you take anyone seriously that slaughters people for the 'sake of a religion'?
No.

Well at least you think so.
Your statements are based on the assumption that Islam is good, therefore anything done that is wrong in the name of Islam is therefore not Islamic. However, reading the Quran should bring you to a different conclusion.
Original post by Jebedee
Well at least you think so.
Your statements are based on the assumption that Islam is good, therefore anything done that is wrong in the name of Islam is therefore not Islamic. However, reading the Quran should bring you to a different conclusion.

I have read the quran.
The good outweighs the bad. And you have to keep in mind it was written ages ago, for a society that was chaotic.
Now our society is supposed to be a lot more civilised.
The only thing religious is the name, Islamic State. :lol:

But seriously though, it depends how you look at it because of the fact that IS interprets the Quran in a different way to other muslims; this way is, IMO, incorrect as most muslims do not see them as muslims and so they should not be counted as muslims, even with the tiny minority of muslims who follow the IS regime (like 0.001% or something like that). I'd say about 2-3 but IS would say about 100.
They're not religious, they're deluded...
Original post by CorpusLuteum
I have read the quran.
The good outweighs the bad. And you have to keep in mind it was written ages ago, for a society that was chaotic.
Now our society is supposed to be a lot more civilised.

Good for who? Just Muslims? How does it weigh up when it sanctions the murder of non-muslims? I realise it was written ages ago but it is purported to be the exact word of god, surely a god shouldn't define their worldview by the advancement of a human civilisation?

Either way, ISIS follow the quran pretty much to the letter while moderates do not. That simply makes them more religious. Uncomfortable fact but a fact nonetheless.
Reply 28
Original post by welshiee

They follow it by the book whereas moderate Muslims cherrypick parts of the religion that suits them whilst also embracing Western life where it suits. Those same moderate Muslims then try to tell us that the version of Islam they follow is the right one when it contradicts the very words within Islamic scripture.

Allah would be angry with moderate Muslims. The Quran is literally the word of God and should be treated as such, so if you stray from the word of the Quran you are straying from the word of God, the word of Allah.

[video="youtube;E5QvRg0Q2gU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5QvRg0Q2gU[/video]

What's your point? Moderate Muslims should be following the scrupture to the letter? Do you feel the same about Christians?
Original post by welshiee

They follow it by the book whereas moderate Muslims cherrypick parts of the religion that suits them whilst also embracing Western life where it suits. Those same moderate Muslims then try to tell us that the version of Islam they follow is the right one when it contradicts the very words within Islamic scripture.

Allah would be angry with moderate Muslims. The Quran is literally the word of God and should be treated as such, so if you stray from the word of the Quran you are straying from the word of God, the word of Allah.

[video="youtube;E5QvRg0Q2gU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5QvRg0Q2gU[/video]

It is the other way around actually.
Original post by cbreef
Wouldn't say I'm very left wing myself, more centre left. I'm just fed up with right wingers bashing islam

And I'm not even Muslim just for the record
Original post by Jebedee
Good for who? Just Muslims? How does it weigh up when it sanctions the murder of non-muslims? I realise it was written ages ago but it is purported to be the exact word of god, surely a god shouldn't define their worldview by the advancement of a human civilisation?

Either way, ISIS follow the quran pretty much to the letter while moderates do not. That simply makes them more religious. Uncomfortable fact but a fact nonetheless.

Well, the verses that do say to 'kill non-believers' are taken well out of context.
I'm certain the word of God was written as a piece of literature in order to advance society 1400 years ago which was in a lot of dump. As with the bible and the torah, before these texts people used to worship menial things like fire (in the masses). So following the quran literally, word for word is basically avoiding a large part of your religion and with the advancements we have now-a-days there shouldn't even be such confusion as to whether we should follow word for word or read it like any other book of literature we are made to decipher in school or wherever.
Following the Quran word for word not only puts you under the spotlight for lack of education (which, education, is a crucial part of our religion), it also dumbs you down to misinterpretation. How can you interpret the quran without good knowledge of the period between 609-632, knowledge of the prophets that existed beforehand and or Prophet Mohammed, knowledge of when each verse was brought down and having at least some understanding of the arabic language 1400 years ago. This arguably should make the muslim nation one of the most educated (in literature and history of the middle-east at least), however the middle east cant even keep its **** together when there isnt any civil wars let alone when there is.
I think your perspective on this question can change depending on your beliefs. If you're a Muslim, you must believe that the Qur'an - whilst incredibly complicated, multi-faceted, and at times allegorical, is the absolute, unquestionable word of God. For those educated on Islamic tradition, the Qur'an and Hadith operate much like peer-reviewed science; the only ones qualified enough to interpret the Qur'an and Hadith are those who have studied for a substantial amount of time, and have gained the respect of peers by the work they produce. This is why the majority of the Muslim world does not agree with ISIS. Mainstream Islamic scholarship is in complete disagreement with the fringe scholars who propagate ISIS ideals, and therefore, many don't agree that arguments put forward by ISIS are 'islamically' sound (in fact, the majority believe that Islam is completely at odds with mindless and extremely violent vigilantism). As an ex-Muslim, whilst I agree that Muslims have intolerant views, I would be lying if I said that Islam in any way encouraged lawless killing and brutality, and this opinion is held by the vast majority of scholars as well as Muslims. It is absolutely incredible and arrogant that Non-Muslims with hardly any grasp of Islam purport that Islam is inherently violent, and in turn, claim they know more than mainstream Islamic scholars.

If you're not a Muslim, then you believe that the words of the Qur'an don't come from a God and is therefore subjective. It can then by argued that values, education, political beliefs, life experience and emotions shape our reading of the Qur'an. In my opinion, in the case of ISIS and it's members, it is difficult to blame the Qur'an if their interpretations were/are already pre-meditated. It is a simple to open up Surah At-Tawbah (a chapter dedicated that focuses predominantly on war), and selectively search for verses that will justify an agenda. As a literary text, the Qur'an suffers from self-asphyxiation - it attempts to cram too much in to a relatively small collection of chapters, and therefore is very unspecific about what exactly certain bits mean. And there lies the major problem; pretty much anyone can use Islam an emotional vehicle to conduct horror without their character being called into question.
Original post by Jebedee

It is actually isis and co that cherry pick whatever suits their agenda.
And you will find the vast majority of their ranks know zilch about the faith except what was fed to them by their organisations.
I think they are religious on a scale from 1 to 10.
Original post by Akamega
I think your perspective on this question can change depending on your beliefs. If you're a Muslim, you must believe that the Qur'an - whilst incredibly complicated, multi-faceted, and at times allegorical, is the absolute, unquestionable word of God. For those educated on Islamic tradition, the Qur'an and Hadith operate much like peer-reviewed science; the only ones qualified enough to interpret the Qur'an and Hadith are those who have studied for a substantial amount of time, and have gained the respect of peers by the work they produce. This is why the majority of the Muslim world does not agree with ISIS. Mainstream Islamic scholarship is in complete disagreement with the fringe scholars who propagate ISIS ideals, and therefore, many don't agree that arguments put forward by ISIS are 'islamically' sound (in fact, the majority believe that Islam is completely at odds with mindless and extremely violent vigilantism). As an ex-Muslim, whilst I agree that Muslims have intolerant views, I would be lying if I said that Islam in any way encouraged lawless killing and brutality, and this opinion is held by the vast majority of scholars as well as Muslims. It is absolutely incredible and arrogant that Non-Muslims with hardly any grasp of Islam purport that Islam is inherently violent, and in turn, claim they know more than mainstream Islamic scholars.

If you're not a Muslim, then you believe that the words of the Qur'an don't come from a God and is therefore subjective. It can then by argued that values, education, political beliefs, life experience and emotions shape our reading of the Qur'an. In my opinion, in the case of ISIS and it's members, it is difficult to blame the Qur'an if their interpretations were/are already pre-meditated. It is a simple to open up Surah At-Tawbah (a chapter dedicated that focuses predominantly on war), and selectively search for verses that will justify an agenda. As a literary text, the Qur'an suffers from self-asphyxiation - it attempts to cram too much in to a relatively small collection of chapters, and therefore is very unspecific about what exactly certain bits mean. And there lies the major problem; pretty much anyone can use Islam an emotional vehicle to conduct horror without their character being called into question.

Thanks for your response. Well put if I may say so. Did you participate in the poll?
Original post by TaintedLight
Thanks for your response. Well put if I may say so. Did you participate in the poll?

I did, I voted 1, 2, 3, 4/10.
Totally unreligious, what God would want us killing each other over the way we choose to live our lives.
10 they follow literal meanings of their religion.
I don't understand how anybody can say anything but 9 or 10.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending