The Student Room Group

how likely is it for me to get into midwifery?

Ok so i'm 17 years old and want to apply for midwifery, i went to an open day yesterday and many people were saying things like 'this is my second time applying'... taking a 'gap year' is my worst nightmare does anyone have any success stories, uni's that take people easily or anything that i could do to make sure i got a place?
thanks.
Original post by jad3s3yh4030
Ok so i'm 17 years old and want to apply for midwifery, i went to an open day yesterday and many people were saying things like 'this is my second time applying'... taking a 'gap year' is my worst nightmare does anyone have any success stories, uni's that take people easily or anything that i could do to make sure i got a place?
thanks.

It's one of those courses that's so competitive, all you can do is get the best grades possible and as much experience as you can. I knew one person who got into midwifery first time at 18 but i've heard of others who took until their 3rd attempt to get a place. Just do your best with your application and if worst comes to worst a gap year is not the end of the world.
Reply 2
I felt exactly the same before and during my application process! Some people (people who I thought were great candidates) had been trying for many many years and still hadn't got a place and I didn't know why I would be any different.I applied for my first time (at 18 years old) for 2016 entry, and I ended up getting 4/5 interviews, and offers from all 4 of them universities!! Tbh i still can't quite believe it but it is possible!

If you really want to study midwifery dont let it stop you from applying because everyone's application process is different and theres no saying you wont get in first time.
in terms of advice , make sure you've researched properly and you know about current issues and advances, make sure you have a clear answer to why you want to be a midwife because they like to know you're not just doing it because you like babies, its quite important to have relevant work experience/volunteering but I really didn't have much so you can pull skills you've gained from other experiences and relate them to midwifery and if you do this right then you've got a good chance.

What universities are you interested in? It's competitive anywhere so I dont think you can necessary say any are easier to get into. good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm interested in Sheffield hallam university, leeds beckett university, University of Cumbria, University of northampton & uni of northumbria..
Thank you so much for that i was begining to loose hope if i'd ever get a place, i completely understand its not all about babies & thats more of a bonus to me if anything, the whole process of developing a baby and taking care of it and its mother as stages go by interests me, if you dont mind me asking what uni do you go to & did you get to take part in things like freshers week etc as i feel like most uni's are trying to put me off by describing the work load but i still want to do it! Also how was the interview and did you have an admoss
*admissions test
I'm interested in Sheffield hallam university, leeds beckett university, University of Cumbria, University of northampton & uni of northumbria..
Thank you so much for that i was begining to loose hope if i'd ever get a place, i completely understand its not all about babies & thats more of a bonus to me if anything, the whole process of developing a baby and taking care of it and its mother as stages go by interests me, if you dont mind me asking what uni do you go to & did you get to take part in things like freshers week etc as i feel like most uni's are trying to put me off by describing the work load but i still want to do it! Also how was the interview and did you have an admoss

Did you visit our open day in June? The midwifery ward is always buzzing at open days and there's lots of practical things to get involved with. If you haven't been, it would be worth coming along to our next one because it's a great opportunity to chat to the students and tutors about your experience and goals, while trying out some of the things you'll be doing as a student. You can register your interest, here.

Thanks,
Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
Reply 6

They seem like really great choices, unfortunately I didn't apply to either so I can't given out any specific advice.
You sound like you're passionate for the right reasons so don't worry too much!

Sorry I didn't make it clear I applied for 2016 entry so I don't start til September, but my firm choice is the university of Leeds.

I understand what you mean! Most universities have really stressed how much the workload is but with the right organisation I hope I'll be able to do normal uni things too.

All my 4 interviews were pretty different and some had group interviews, some had stations where there were different questions/scenarios, there was a straight up interview where I was just asked a couple questions, but yes all of them had admissions tests. I had interviews where I did both maths and English tests and an interview where I had just maths- they weren't too difficult I wouldn't say.. Basic GCSE standard maths especially fractions decimals ratios and conversions. The English was based around Midwifery always and involved a scenario or a midwifery question/essay.

Hope I've helped :h:
I live quite close to leeds! Lol and Where else did you apply to and what type of experience do you have? Is your offer ABB and do you know anywhere that accept EPQ's or anything else that can contribute to ucas points, only certain unis will accept me because i dont do biology i do applied science instead & health and social and psychology. The only experience i have atm is working in a hospital as work experience.. This summer im planning on getting experience in a GP surgery, charity shop, hopeeeefully shadowing my auntie whos a senior midwife but i doubt that because shes really busy and an old peoples home? Is there anything else that I could get experience by? Sorry for all these questions just want to have a better chance.
Reply 8
I live quite close to leeds! Lol and Where else did you apply to and what type of experience do you have? Is your offer ABB and do you know anywhere that accept EPQ's or anything else that can contribute to ucas points, only certain unis will accept me because i dont do biology i do applied science instead & health and social and psychology. The only experience i have atm is working in a hospital as work experience.. This summer im planning on getting experience in a GP surgery, charity shop, hopeeeefully shadowing my auntie whos a senior midwife but i doubt that because shes really busy and an old peoples home? Is there anything else that I could get experience by? Sorry for all these questions just want to have a better chance.

I do too! I wanted to stay fairly close to home. I applied to uni of Huddersfield, uni of Manchester, uni of Nottingham and uni of Bradford.
Actually I didnt have too much, I volunteered in a hospital and in a charity shop. Just anything in the hospital environment is great really,
My offer is ABB yes, and no sorry I'm not sure as I did biology a level so I never looked for alternatives
I live in Huddersfield! The uni is really nice, my auntie interviews midwifes and Nottingham uni and Manchester accept me without biology, as i do applied science it's just a case of asking if they accept it as most do it just doesnt say on their website. I was thinking about Nottingham. Did you get an interview there? If so what was it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I live in Huddersfield! The uni is really nice, my auntie interviews midwifes and Nottingham uni and Manchester accept me without biology, as i do applied science it's just a case of asking if they accept it as most do it just doesnt say on their website. I was thinking about Nottingham. Did you get an interview there? If so what was it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as i know, its only Leeds that specifically asked for it. Yeah i had an interview at Nottingham, it was my first so i was terrified for it but it was quite chilled out, and they made you feel comfortable. It was the one with the Multiple Mini Interviews; where there are stations and you spend 5 mins at each and they you do an activity at each (mostly answering a question or two) and there was a group interview that was quite a nice task actually. Really lovely university and campus too!
@jad3s3yh4030 did you get in? I’m currently taking interviews for midwifery and have no hope???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending