The Student Room Group

Dentistry Qualifications For GCSE's

Hi everyone! I've always wanted to become a dentist ever since I was 6 and I still really want to do it as you get well paid and I just think that this job will suit me and will make me have a good reputation, however I don't know if I will get the GCSE grades for it, I'm in set 1 for maths and my target now is a Grade 5 (My GCSE exams are in 2018) and my teacher said that if I'm expected to get a grade 5 now then at the end of the year 11 i will get a grade 7, and I'm pretty confident i will for maths but i chose separate science but I'm in lower set 2 and I'm not sure what I'm expected for the end of the year 11, and I'm also in lower set 2 for english and I'm stressing now and I'm only in year 9, i really want to become a dentist please its always been my dream and I don't want to wreck it, I read on Manchester University that In the newly reformed GCSEs, we expect to see a broad range of GCSE subjects all at grade 5 and above with a minimum of six at grade 7 and above including the Sciences. Either Dual Award Science or Core, Additional and Further Additional Science or Biology, Chemistry & Physics). Grade 6 or above in GCSE English Language and Mathematics is also required.' I really don't get what they're trying to explain, i wouldn't call myself dumb but not smart but I guess I'm fairly smart but there are much smarter people that expect to get 7's or 8's but if they're in higher sets in english and science then how am i supposed to get them grades to get qualified in Manchester University!? Please anyone take their time reading what manchester has stated about the new GCSE qualification, i don't understand why it mentions the grade 5? Please i need my advice i can't let this dream come to waste, as you can tell I'm sooo desperate:frown: i hope anyone takes time to answer back:smile: THANK YOU
(edited 3 years ago)
I just had my end of year exams for year 9 and they were stressful. For maths and the sciences we had to do the new gcse style tests and I came with quite good results. I am still scared though as we are going to be put into sets next year :frown: For your information, I go to a grammar school and if you get B (grade 6) in year 9, you are expected to get A* (grade 8/9) in your gcses. Don't stress now, just revise over the summer for next year- nothing extreme just some light revision so that you understand the topics clearly in class. BTW, I got grade 7 for biology, physics, maths and grade 8 for chemistry. My target grades for end of year 11 is all grade 9's. Just try hard for all your subjects in year 10.
Reply 2
As a student in Year 10 who also in interested in a STEM career i am aiming for 8's and 9's in all subjects as this should put me in good stead for a Russell Group university as long as I work hard for my A-Levels. In your situation (I don't want to worry you) but you will need to work REALLY hard if you want to do dentistry. Your grades are very good and as long as you work hard you should receive top grades at GCSE.
Original post by sumonaafrose
I just had my end of year exams for year 9 and they were stressful. For maths and the sciences we had to do the new gcse style tests and I came with quite good results. I am still scared though as we are going to be put into sets next year :frown: For your information, I go to a grammar school and if you get B (grade 6) in year 9, you are expected to get A* (grade 8/9) in your gcses. Don't stress now, just revise over the summer for next year- nothing extreme just some light revision so that you understand the topics clearly in class. BTW, I got grade 7 for biology, physics, maths and grade 8 for chemistry. My target grades for end of year 11 is all grade 9's. Just try hard for all your subjects in year 10.

Wow! You did really well in your sciences! 7's in year 9 is really good i wish i had the intelligence like you and yes Grammar schools are much better than the public schools i go to, and anyways we haven't had any science tests yet and I'm really stressing i really want to get all straight 7's. And you should be very proud because only 4% of the country will get grade 9's!
Original post by umar39
As a student in Year 10 who also in interested in a STEM career i am aiming for 8's and 9's in all subjects as this should put me in good stead for a Russell Group university as long as I work hard for my A-Levels. In your situation (I don't want to worry you) but you will need to work REALLY hard if you want to do dentistry. Your grades are very good and as long as you work hard you should receive top grades at GCSE.

Thats amazing! I really do hope you achieve the grades that you want, and yes i went to the Liverpool Hope University tour day today and i spoke to a woman from Manchester higher and she told me that dentistry is a really competitive course and they will accept the best ones, and yes i have to start to work hard from now, or else i will regret not working hard and earlier enough, i want to do something with STEM as well, also the A-Levels are the most important ones! I hope you do well next year in your actual exams and i hope you get what you want!:smile:
Original post by happydimples
Hi everyone! I've always wanted to become a dentist ever since I was 6 and I still really want to do it as you get well paid and I just think that this job will suit me and will make me have a good reputation, however I don't know if I will get the GCSE grades for it, I'm in set 1 for maths and my target now is a Grade 5 (My GCSE exams are in 2018) and my teacher said that if I'm expected to get a grade 5 now then at the end of the year 11 i will get a grade 7, and I'm pretty confident i will for maths but i chose separate science but I'm in lower set 2 and I'm not sure what I'm expected for the end of the year 11, and I'm also in lower set 2 for english and I'm stressing now and I'm only in year 9, i really want to become a dentist please its always been my dream and I don't want to wreck it, I read on Manchester University that In the newly reformed GCSEs, we expect to see a broad range of GCSE subjects all at grade 5 and above with a minimum of six at grade 7 and above including the Sciences. Either Dual Award Science or Core, Additional and Further Additional Science or Biology, Chemistry & Physics). Grade 6 or above in GCSE English Language and Mathematics is also required.' I really don't get what they're trying to explain, i wouldn't call myself dumb but not smart but I guess I'm fairly smart but there are much smarter people that expect to get 7's or 8's but if they're in higher sets in english and science then how am i supposed to get them grades to get qualified in Manchester University!? Please anyone take their time reading what manchester has stated about the new GCSE qualification, i don't understand why it mentions the grade 5? Please i need my advice i can't let this dream come to waste, as you can tell I'm sooo desperate:frown: i hope anyone takes time to answer back:smile: THANK YOU

Hello,
I swear i read it all! LOL:tongue:

There is one main thing i will say:
You look like a really hardworking student who really wishes to be a dentist..... and TBH, i have only known 1 person in my whole life who knew what they wanted to be in year 9 with such details.... Like i mean even knowing wich uni you would like to go is amazing!!:biggrin:

Look at me now.... I am in year 11(moving to year 12) and still dont know what i want to be..:redface:.. But iknow that i want a career in STEM so its fine :biggrin: This therefore prooves to me that you are a very determined person(n the fact that u worry in year 9!!!!!) . And let me tell you one thing:
motivation+hardwork= Success+exceeded/reached target:h:
And that work whatever situation you might be in, doesnt matter what school you go to. The predicted grades are always lower than what u will actually get for students like you! :tongue:
You wont believe me but my target grade was a C in year 10 for core n additional sciences.... But i got: A n A* (grade 8 n 9, i think)...:wink:.. So you see the gap there..... That's been filled by my motivation and determination, :biggrin: eventhough i didnt know what i wanted to be..... So you must be able to do better than that because u know what you want to be!:h: Just be determined..... Passion is the key lol..... U know what u have to do.... Work hard n revise.... Dont cram just before the exams....revise bit by bit throughout the year(s) and smash those idiot exams LOL :toofunny:

I wish you good luck:h: (hahaha no students like you dont need luck :u:!!!)
So i wish every success you deserve in ur life...... Be a good dentist... I know you will:tongue:!! Students like you dont fail to reach their dreams :colondollar:if they continue to work hard (and that doesnt mean u should not relax tho, keep everthing balanced :smile: lol)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much!!!! But I obviously need to work harder for my gcse's which is round the corner :frown: OMMMMMGGGG.... life is so stressful but oh well.
Original post by sumonaafrose
Thank you so much!!!! But I obviously need to work harder for my gcse's which is round the corner :frown: OMMMMMGGGG.... life is so stressful but oh well.

Life is too stressful, i wish you all my best for your exams!
Original post by mediaya
Hello,
I swear i read it all! LOL:tongue:

There is one main thing i will say:
You look like a really hardworking student who really wishes to be a dentist..... and TBH, i have only known 1 person in my whole life who knew what they wanted to be in year 9 with such details.... Like i mean even knowing wich uni you would like to go is amazing!!:biggrin:

Look at me now.... I am in year 11(moving to year 12) and still dont know what i want to be..:redface:.. But iknow that i want a career in STEM so its fine :biggrin: This therefore prooves to me that you are a very determined person(n the fact that u worry in year 9!!!!!) . And let me tell you one thing:
motivation+hardwork= Success+exceeded/reached target:h:
And that work whatever situation you might be in, doesnt matter what school you go to. The predicted grades are always lower than what u will actually get for students like you! :tongue:
You wont believe me but my target grade was a C in year 10 for core n additional sciences.... But i got: A n A* (grade 8 n 9, i think)...:wink:.. So you see the gap there..... That's been filled by my motivation and determination, :biggrin: eventhough i didnt know what i wanted to be..... So you must be able to do better than that because u know what you want to be!:h: Just be determined..... Passion is the key lol..... U know what u have to do.... Work hard n revise.... Dont cram just before the exams....revise bit by bit throughout the year(s) and smash those idiot exams LOL :toofunny:

I wish you good luck:h: (hahaha no students like you dont need luck :u:!!!)
So i wish every success you deserve in ur life...... Be a good dentist... I know you will:tongue:!! Students like you dont fail to reach their dreams :colondollar:if they continue to work hard (and that doesnt mean u should not relax tho, keep everthing balanced :smile: lol)

Spoiler

Wow! Im mind blown on how someone actually noticed that this is my dream! Your too nice on saying this, its the best feeling ever, your too generous of saying this and well done on getting an A and A* in your science i mean thats amazing i would've been over the moon if i got them scores and i do agree with you, i am determined into becoming a dentist, I can already tell that you will become what you want to become, you can't achieve anything without trying in life and hope you did well in your exams, also i hope you decide soon enough on what you eat to become also good luck in the future and good luck in your A-Levels!:smile:
Original post by happydimples
Wow! Im mind blown on how someone actually noticed that this is my dream! Your too nice on saying this, its the best feeling ever, your too generous of saying this and well done on getting an A and A* in your science i mean thats amazing i would've been over the moon if i got them scores and i do agree with you, i am determined into becoming a dentist, I can already tell that you will become what you want to become, you can't achieve anything without trying in life and hope you did well in your exams, also i hope you decide soon enough on what you eat to become also good luck in the future and good luck in your A-Levels!:smile:

nothing to be surprised of, you basically 'told' me LOL:wink:
thanks for the congrats!:biggrin:
stay determined lol n u have all mine with you as well !:tongue:
aww thanks, i hope i will be successful in what i want to be:biggrin:
thanks, and thanks again LOL, my results are coming on the 25 august, i can't wait!!!!!!
good luc with everything you do in ur life :colondollar:
Original post by mediaya
nothing to be surprised of, you basically 'told' me LOL:wink:
thanks for the congrats!:biggrin:
stay determined lol n u have all mine with you as well !:tongue:
aww thanks, i hope i will be successful in what i want to be:biggrin:
thanks, and thanks again LOL, my results are coming on the 25 august, i can't wait!!!!!!
good luc with everything you do in ur life :colondollar:

Aww thank you too much, i hope you get the grades you wanted!! Good luck to as well, never give up, you will get there, i know you will! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest