The Student Room Group

Dallas protest shooting: 11 police officers shot, 4 killed by snipers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
What does unarmed mean? Does it mean no weapon at the time of death? Yes.

Ok. That doesn't refute my point. Unarmed victims are disproportionately black.
Original post by Truths

Even the media trying to say this is evil and wrong only gives 49% of the "unarmed" shootings as being of somebody completely uarmed. What are the others? Well it gives some as being having toy guns, but also included in unarmed statistics, at least in some cases, are disarmed individuals, also includes those that are attacking police without a weapon, or trying to acquire a weapon. The Washington Post actually has a rather interesting and useful utility: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/
Narrow it down to "unarmed" black and "other" for threat level and what do we get:
Phone mistaken for a weapon
Mistaken identity with a high risk target
probation violation struggling with an officer
resisting arrest
car chase, followed by a crash, and fleeing on foot
car chase
chase
accidental collateral in an undercover gun sting
Deceased drove SUV into car dealership, robbery in progress
fleeing police after being pulled over
Domestic violence case, deceased threatened suicide and acted as if they had a weapon
Climbing through window, police responding to reports of a woman screaming and crying
the case last year where the deceased reached into his car rather than following police instructions (so assumed reaching for a weapon)
deceased fleeing
accidental use of gun rather than taser
naked charging at officers wielding a tree branch
naked, acting erratically, charged at officers
tried driving away, officer reached into car, gun discharged during altercation
refused to drop broom handle being brandished
Original post by Truths

And black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime and their populations are disproportionately concentrated in high crime areas. They're obviously going to have more police encounters on average.

In 2015, 79 unarmed black civilians were killed by police, as were 103 unarmed white civilians, 36 Hispanic and 11 other. Blacks were also about a quarter of civilians killed by police last year. These data are in The Guardian database "The Counted."

However, according to FBI crime stats, more than half of murders and robberies in the US involve black suspects. Even if this is exaggerated due to police being more likely to charge blacks, it would need to be by more than double before the death to crime ratio becomes unbalanced against their favour.

Also, between 2005 and 2014, 42.2% of known offenders in the felonious killings of police officers were black, according to the FBI. That makes blacks proportionally more likely to kill police than be killed by police.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
And black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime and their populations are disproportionately concentrated in high crime areas. They're obviously going to have more police encounters on average.

Irrespective of this, police brutality is still a problem.

In 2015, 79 unarmed black civilians were killed by police, as were 103 unarmed white civilians, 36 Hispanic and 11 other. Blacks were also about a quarter of civilians killed by police last year. These data are in The Guardian database "The Counted."

However, according to FBI crime stats, more than half of murders and robberies in the US involve black suspects. Even if this is exaggerated due to police being more likely to charge blacks, it would need to be by more than double before the death to crime ratio becomes unbalanced against their favour.

Yeh, no.
1. Your choice of combining murder and robbery statistics is arbitrary. What is the justification for this? You chose them to paint a picture that suits your agenda.
2. With the exception of Mike Brown, the victims you see being protested by BLM are not robbers or murders...

Also, between 2005 and 2014, 42.2% of known offenders in the felonious killings of police officers were black, according to the FBI. That makes blacks proportionally more likely to kill police than be killed by police.

Um....You missed a step here, hun. 44.2% of what? 6? 16?

The only thing that statistics proves is that blacks are disproportionately more likely to kill cops than some other races. It doesn't mean they are more likely to kill police than be killed by the police. You just made that up in your head.

This idea that there is a war on cops is a myth. It's propaganda. It has never been safer to be a police officer.

Original post by Truths

How about 50 (per annum)

Sorry, I forgot you were ignoring anything that disagrees with you.
Original post by Truths
Irrespective of this, police brutality is still a problem.

Yeh, no.
1. Your choice of combining murder and robbery statistics is arbitrary. What is the justification for this? You chose them to paint a picture that suits your agenda.
2. With the exception of Mike Brown, the victims you see being protested by BLM are not robbers or murders...

Murder and robbery statistics, among others, provide an insight into the frequency at which black people will have encounters with police. When a disproportionate amount of crime is committed by blacks, a disproportionate number are at risk of getting shot.

No, not all were robbers or murderers. Then again, not all of the unarmed white people were robbers or murderers, either. But whether or not those shot were committing crimes, the fact remains that blacks are also statistically more likely to be suspects, to live in more populated, high-crime areas that see more police attention, and thus run a disproportionate risk of having potentially deadly encounters as a result, despite being 12-13% of the general US population.

Original post by Truths

The only thing that statistics proves is that blacks are disproportionately more likely to kill cops than some other races. It doesn't mean they are more likely to kill police than be killed by the police. You just made that up in your head.

Six-hundred and seven.

I said blacks were proportionally more likely to kill police than police are to kill blacks (42% vs 26%); not than an individual black person is more likely to kill a police officer than be killed by one. You misinterpreted my wording.

Original post by Truths

This idea that there is a war on cops is a myth. It's propaganda. It has never been safer to be a police officer.

I'm not suggesting there is a war on cops. It is indeed safer to be a police officer now, owed in large to a historically low violent crime rate, body armour, improved equipment and tactics, etc.
Murder and robbery statistics, among others, provide an insight into the frequency at which black people will have encounters with police. When a disproportionate amount of crime is committed by blacks, a disproportionate number are at risk of getting shot.

No, not all were robbers or murderers. Then again, not all of the unarmed white people were robbers or murderers, either. But whether or not those shot were committing crimes, the fact remains that blacks are also statistically more likely to be suspects, to live in more populated, high-crime areas that see more police attention, and thus run a disproportionate risk of having potentially deadly encounters as a result, despite being 12-13% of the general US population.

Even if you think this is an explanation, as long as those victims are unarmed, it is never a justification.

I said blacks were proportionally more likely to kill police than police are to kill blacks (42% vs 26%); not than an individual black person is more likely to kill a police officer than be killed by one. You misinterpreted my wording.

No, you misrepresented the statistic. Yet again. 42% represents that blacks are disproportionately responsible for cop killings. The 26% represents blacks being disproportionately killed by cops. 42% being larger than 26% does not conclude that blacks are more to kill and officer than be killed by one, those statistics do not account for that. That is not how maths work. There is a gap in your logic and you've filled it with speculation to fit you're agenda.
Original post by Truths
Even if you think this is an explanation, as long as those victims are unarmed, it is never a justification.

I never suggested the deaths were necessarily justified. However, my point concerns the likelihood of police encounters. If blacks are disproportionately concentrated in high-crime areas and also commit a disproportionate amount of crime, encounters with police (which might turn deadly) are going to be higher than if we based our expectations solely on the general US population percentages. It's not necessarily that they are being targeted unfairly by police.

Original post by Truths
No, you misrepresented the statistic. Yet again. 42% represents that blacks are disproportionately responsible for cop killings. The 26% represents blacks being disproportionately killed by cops. 42% being larger than 26% does not conclude that blacks are more to kill and officer than be killed by one, those statistics do not account for that. That is not how maths work. There is a gap in your logic and you've filled it with speculation to fit you're agenda.

I misrepresented nothing. The fraction of blacks killed by police is smaller than the fraction of police killed by blacks, taken as a proportion. When a cop is killed and a civilian is killed, the former is more likely to be black-on-cop than the latter is to be cop-on-black (see again the hugely disproportionate black violent crime rate). You have merely misinterpreted what I was saying.
I never suggested the deaths were necessarily justified. However, my point concerns the likelihood of police encounters. If blacks are disproportionately concentrated in high-crime areas and also commit a disproportionate amount of crime, encounters with police (which might turn deadly) are going to be higher than if we based our expectations solely on the general US population percentages. It's not necessarily that they are being targeted unfairly by police.

Then I don't see your relevance in your argument. BLM grievance is with excessive force and unarmed/law abiding citizens being killing in custody.

The fraction of blacks killed by police is smaller than the fraction of police killed by blacks, taken as a proportion.

Nope. The fraction of blacks being killed relative to other races, is smaller than police being killed by blacks relative to other races. That is true. While it is disproportionately more likely for the perpetrator of a cop killing to be black, that does NOT in turn mean that blacks are more likely to kill a cop than be killed by one. Again. That is sheer speculation on your part. That is not how maths work. That statistic says nothing about the actual likelihood of a cop being shot.

It's a dumb argument regardless. What point are you trying to make with that?
Original post by Truths
Then I don't see your relevance in your argument. BLM grievance is with excessive force and unarmed/law abiding citizens being killing in custody.

It's relevant to the number of blacks being shot and is a retort to the argument about blacks being killed in disproportionately large numbers being a result of racism (something BLM often repeats).

Original post by Truths
Nope. The fraction of blacks being killed relative to other races, is smaller than police being killed by blacks relative to other races. That is true. While it is disproportionately more likely for the perpetrator of a cop killing to be black, that does NOT in turn mean that blacks are more likely to kill a cop than be killed by one. Again. That is sheer speculation on your part. That is not how maths work. That statistic says nothing about the actual likelihood of a cop being shot.

It's a dumb argument regardless. What point are you trying to make with that?

I never said that a black person (i.e. a specific individual) is more likely to kill a cop than be killed by a cop. You misinterpreted what I wrote. You'd see that my math is accurate if you knew what I was saying.

The point I am trying to make concerns the deadly encounters police have with blacks. When 42% of people who killed police were black, despite being 12% of the general population and 26% of people getting killed by police, that is something worth mentioning. It shows where a lot of the violence in US society is happening and what police are disproportionately having to deal with. It's relevant to the conversation about the fractions of people killed.

And I am not in any way citing this to justify black people being murdered by police. But it is again relevant if we want to talk about percentages and likelihoods of blacks, whites and Hispanics being killed or murdered by police when comparing to general US population percentages (something activists often do when trying to identify supposedly racism-related disproportionalities).
It's relevant to the number of blacks being shot and is a retort to the argument about blacks being killed in disproportionately large numbers being a result of racism (something BLM often repeats).

It's really not. You actually prove BLMs point. When your argument is, "Police disproportionately kill unarmed/law abiding black people because other black people disproportionately commit crimes". Do you not understand what saying right now? Treating an ethnic group as a monolith as opposed to individuals couldn't' be any more of a LITERAL embodiment of racism?
I'm trying to understand how this does not compute in your brain. Are you slow? :lol:
Original post by Truths
It's really not. You actually prove BLMs point. When your argument is, "Police disproportionately kill unarmed/law abiding black people because other black people disproportionately commit crimes". Do you not understand what saying right now? Treating an ethnic group as a monolith as opposed to individuals couldn't' be any more of a LITERAL embodiment of racism?
I'm trying to understand how this does not compute in your brain. Are you slow? :lol:

For the love of Christ, as I have reiterated numerous times, it is simply about police encounters. Even if shot unarmed or committing no crime, black people are still disproportionately residing in areas that see more police attention (due to the high crime rate) and are more likely to interact with police on average. Most of the police who shot unarmed black men were responding to 911 calls or were pursuing suspects, anyway.

Summary: police will have proportionally more interactions with blacks due to there being more black suspects and crime in communities that have a large black population, ergo an increased probability of shootings of any nature.

I am not slow; you are simply incapable of processing anything I'm saying.
For the love of Christ, as I have reiterated numerous times, it is simply about police encounters. Even if shot unarmed or committing no crime, black people are still disproportionately residing in areas that see more police attention (due to the high crime rate) and are more likely to interact with police on average. Most of the police who shot unarmed black men were responding to 911 calls or were pursuing suspects, anyway.

You muddied your argument when you brought up murder/robbery statistics.

Summary: police will have proportionally more interactions with blacks due to there being more black suspects and crime in communities that have a large black population, ergo an increased probability of shootings of any nature.

So you acknowledge the presence of racist police departments, but you water down the cause of these shootings to "cops are around blacks more often"?...
You don't think their racist sentiments impacts the way they police? Get real.
Original post by Truths
You muddied your argument when you brought up murder/robbery statistics.

So you acknowledge the presence of racist police departments, but you water down the cause of these shootings to "cops are around blacks more often"?...
You don't think their racist sentiments impacts the way they police? Get real.

Some of the deaths of blacks being due to racism does not mean most of them are or that what happened in Ferguson, for example, applies elsewhere in the US equally. I'm sure a percentage of the black people killed could have been avoided if there was no racism involved. I have never once denied this. However, it would be conjecture to assume that even anything close to the majority of this statistical overrepresentation is simply due to racism. BLM are out protesting and shouting 'racism' pretty much each and every time, however, even before sufficient details are available. All the proof they need is that the person who died was black.

My point about blacks being around crime and police more often is a valid one. It is based ln a simple and logical comparison of numbers and is a less biased approach than relying on stories in the news and suppositions derived from police stereotypes.

If I muddied my argument with the murder/robbery statistics, I apologise and accept responsibility for creating a misunderstanding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Truths

I guess the first duty of a policeman is to let a suspect escape, kill the officer, harm the officer, harm another person, or kill another person.

Unarmed does not mean harmless, nor does it mean submitting, all you have to do is look at the cases to see that, even though you don't want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some of the deaths of blacks being due to racism does not mean most of them are or that what happened in Ferguson, for example, applies elsewhere in the US equally. I'm sure a percentage of the black people killed could have been avoided if there was no racism involved. I have never once denied this. However, it would be conjecture to assume that even anything close to the majority of this statistical overrepresentation is simply due to racism. BLM are out protesting and shouting 'racism' pretty much each and every time, however, even before sufficient details are available. All the proof they need is that the person who died was black.

Sure. Some cities will be better Ferguson, other states will be worse. But they all suffer from institutionalised racism. Whenever there is transparency, racism is always exposed in police departments, whether cops are exposed with KKK links, racist emails, planting evidence etc. That is why police unions are constantly fighting or circumventing policies to increase transparency, so they can hide their racial bias..

Your reluctance to accept that race is pivotal role in this pandemic, shows me that you don't really know American history. I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the American law enforcement has origins in slave patrols. And when the slaves were free it was the cops jobs to maintain segregation and Jim Crow,( so it was incredibly symbolic that Darren Wilsons prosecutor threw the case by showing the jury, a Jim Crow Law that permits cops to shoot at fleeing suspects. Was that a coincidence?) They were never there to protect or serve black people. This culture didn't end with the Civil Rights Act,
It bears a legacy. State law enforcement never wanted racial equality. They fought the FBI at Little Rock because local authorities didn’t want black people in white schools. Like when the local authorities arrested black children for daring to set foot in suburban neighbourhoods community pool which they were invited to. Was that coincidence?

The American Psychology Association published a social study that found cops perceive black children as older and less innocent than whites.
When Tamir Rice was murdered the audio showed that the cop thought he was 18a years of age. Tamir was 12 at the time he was killed. Was that a coincidence?

The average police officer is either fearful of blacks or does not respect black life.
After the cop shot Alton Sterling twice in the chest, Alton flinched, the officer was startled and shot him thrice more. That's how scared they are of black folk. So scared that when they pull over a black man with his wife and kids for a busted tail light, they think he's going to reach for a gun when he tries to show his ID as commanded.
Original post by Truths
Sure. Some cities will be better Ferguson, other states will be worse. But they all suffer from institutionalised racism. Whenever there is transparency, racism is always exposed in police departments, whether cops are exposed with KKK links, racist emails, planting evidence etc. That is why police unions are constantly fighting or circumventing policies to increase transparency, so they can hide their racial bias..

Your reluctance to accept that race is pivotal role in this pandemic, shows me that you don't really know American history. I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the American law enforcement has origins in slave patrols. And when the slaves were free it was the cops jobs to maintain segregation and Jim Crow,( so it was incredibly symbolic that Darren Wilsons prosecutor threw the case by showing the jury, a Jim Crow Law that permits cops to shoot at fleeing suspects. Was that a coincidence?) They were never there to protect or serve black people. This culture didn't end with the Civil Rights Act,
It bears a legacy. State law enforcement never wanted racial equality. They fought the FBI at Little Rock because local authorities didn’t want black people in white schools. Like when the local authorities arrested black children for daring to set foot in suburban neighbourhoods community pool which they were invited to. Was that coincidence?

The American Psychology Association published a social study that found cops perceive black children as older and less innocent than whites.
When Tamir Rice was murdered the audio showed that the cop thought he was 18a years of age. Tamir was 12 at the time he was killed. Was that a coincidence?

The average police officer is either fearful of blacks or does not respect black life.
After the cop shot Alton Sterling twice in the chest, Alton flinched, the officer was startled and shot him thrice more. That's how scared they are of black folk. So scared that when they pull over a black man with his wife and kids for a busted tail light, they think he's going to reach for a gun when he tries to show his ID as commanded.

'They all suffer from institutionalised racism' - what an ignorant thing to say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leinad2012
Despite the fact black men are 17x more likely to be shot dead by the police than white men?

Are you for real now?

If your a dead cop you were probably killed by a young black guy.

In fact, if you died at the hands of an assailant in the U.S., that assailant was probably a young black guy.

For the posters who say this is simply the cops reaping what they've sown; Does the same thing apply to young black males?
Original post by Truths

"American law enforcement has it's origins in slave patrols. " Inaccurate and stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending