The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Will Islam have more influence over public life in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

I don't want to sound like a hysterical remainer, but if Islam ever becomes the majority in the UK, I'm off.
Nope. As well as this country becoming more and more secular, Muslims form a tiny proportion of the population, so these two factors make it very unlikely.

Even if the population were to increase in the future, the trend would lean towards them becoming less and less religious. However, it's a certainty that Sharia will never become the law of the land, that is a hysterical and ridiculous forecast.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Nope. As well as this country becoming more and more secular, Muslim form a tiny proportion of the population, so these two factors make it very unlikely.

Even if the population were to increase in the future, the trend would lean towards them becoming less and less religious. However, it's a certainty that Sharia will never become the law of the land, that is a hysterical and ridiculous forecast.

I hope you're right.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK. Over 10% of children born are muslims. Mohammed (and variations of it) is the most popular baby name. Islam will have more influence, there is nothing that can change that; Eid will probably eventually become a public holiday. And tbh, who cares if it does?

Eid will most certainly not become a national holiday, the thought it would is simply preposterous. The UK has no Islamic heritage and then the state would have to assign holidays to other religions. Also, we are only historically religious, I think that it would be hard enough to introduce a new Christian holiday, let alone an Islamic one. The secular nature of this country and the almost certain public outcry of the people make it a virtual impossibility.
Original post by S1939
Honestly some of you TSR lot scrutinize to the maximum. Leave your devices for a second and walk to your local mosque- and see if you come back safe. 100% without a doubt you will. Stop creating arguments out of nothing lol. That Eid petition isn't going to get nowhere. Just stop being hypothetical (all the time) and blatantly Islamophobic.

Islam is a barbaric religion which belongs in the distant past, whatever way you look at it. Criticising the religion itself is logical and sensible, not "Islamophobic".
Reply 25
Original post by YaliaV
Islam is a barbaric religion which belongs in the distant past, whatever way you look at it. Criticising the religion itself is logical and sensible, not "Islamophobic".

didn't say you can't criticize.
If some of you hate Islam- stop being subtle in your language- say it upfront. Don't hide behind threads like this.
Reply 26
And here I though people would appreciate an extra couple of holidays a year.
Original post by S1939
Honestly some of you TSR lot scrutinize to the maximum. Leave your devices for a second and walk to your local mosque- and see if you come back safe. 100% without a doubt you will. Stop creating arguments out of nothing lol. That Eid petition isn't going to get nowhere. Just stop being hypothetical (all the time) and blatantly Islamophobic.

I guess it would be wrong for all those homosexuals thrown of buildings to be Islamophobic. :facepalm:

And I guess you're just going to be apologetic to the statistics regarding homosexuality and the Muslim population in the UK for example.

There is clearly an issue of incompatible values with the Muslim population in the UK and current progressive British values which needs to be addressed. You're not helping anyone by not acknowledging this issue, because if things escalate people will get hurt. If the Muslim population continues to increase proportionally with these problems remaining unaddressed by the likes of you, there will be issues.

Should I do a social experiment? I find someone who is willing to do this with me, and I walk through a predominantly Muslim area holding hands with this guy. A bit arbitrary, but would you recommend against that, or would you say everything is just fine? :smile:

In other news, Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sternumator
Because of the demographics, I'm afraid it is inevitable. The birth rate is much higher among Muslims. Obviously this will be in a generation's time but the percentage of Muslims will only increase.

From 2017, child benefits will only be paid for two children. Muslims are mostly unemployed, so the birth rates will probably decrease :smile:
I think the far right will go militant before it gets too serious. There will be civil war before this country becomes Islamic.
Original post by S1939
didn't say you can't criticize.
If some of you hate Islam- stop being subtle in your language- say it upfront. Don't hide behind threads like this.

You are doing that exact thing - any criticism of Islam is labelled as Islamophobia. It's disingenuous and more than a little pathetic.
Original post by queen-bee
what about the rest of us kuffars?

"Indeed Allah will not change the condition of the people if they do not change themselves" - I would hope that people themselves would progressively adopt values, morals and rules more aligned with Islamic ones but from their own choice, not by force or imposition. For example this could practically manifest in things which are beneficial to society but are not prevailent enough currently e.g. tougher attitudes to alcohol, countering hyper-sexualisation of society etc, and infact these are things which tend to conform universally with all major religious beliefs. This is for the betterment of society and is thus favourable to all (except those who financially profit from these social ills) even if people get some hollow enjoyment from these things.

Spoiler

Original post by Zamestaneh
infact these are things which tend to conform universally with all major religious beliefs.

Which is pretty useless as a justification, considering the UK population is mostly secular (i.e. not adhering seriously to any major religious beliefs) and becoming more so with time.

Most people who oppose a socially conservative society do not do so because they think it's an Islamic thing, so offering it to them with a Judeo-Christian stamp of approval isn't likely to convince them.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I think the far right will go militant before it gets too serious. There will be civil war before this country becomes Islamic.

Far right? Just try and take the average centrists middle aged womans wine away from her and she will send her sons to the streets to fight.

Islamic beliefs will NEVER EVER be accepted in the UK, not at least until muslims are a majority and then there will be violence
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Far right? Just try and take the average centrists middle aged womans wine away from her and she will send her sons to the streets to fight.

Islamic beliefs will NEVER EVER be accepted in the UK, not at least until muslims are a majority and then there will be violence

Sure, but the far right will take up arms first.
Original post by Rorschach II
I guess it would be wrong for all those homosexuals thrown of buildings to be Islamophobic. :facepalm:

And I guess you're just going to be apologetic to the statistics regarding homosexuality and the Muslim population in the UK for example.

There is clearly an issue of incompatible values with the Muslim population in the UK and current progressive British values which needs to be addressed. You're not helping anyone by not acknowledging this issue, because if things escalate people will get hurt. If the Muslim population continues to increase proportionally with these problems remaining unaddressed by the likes of you, there will be issues.

Should I do a social experiment? I find someone who is willing to do this with me, and I walk through a predominantly Muslim area holding hands with this guy. A bit arbitrary, but would you recommend against that, or would you say everything is just fine? :smile:

In other news, Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

The fact that Sadiq Khan was (rightly) hailed for his bravery in voting to legalise gay marriage is telling. He was brave. All the death threats he received from Muslims for this shows this. It tells its own story.
Original post by Betelgeuse-

It's a virtual impossibility that Muslims will make up the majority. They currently make up 4.5% of the population. To become the majority any time soon they would have to undergo an unprecedented population explosion which I think has rarely been seen in human history before, it's just not going to happen.

Also, apparently from 2017 onwards the state will only pay child benefits for 2 children which will hopefully lower the excessive birth rates of the unemployed Muslims in the UK.
I think with all the media talk around Islam, an Islamic terrorist attack every other month and non-Muslims being "exposed to Islam" on the internet people would certainly not be more accepting of Islamic influence in Britain.

If the media label Anjem Choudary as a "radical Islamist", such views like his are obviously not going to be supported or accepted.

Secularization is increasing as well as rapid recent increase of ex-Muslims, which is probably quicker than the rise of Muslims.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by champ_mc99
rapid recent increase of ex-Muslims, which is probably quicker than the rise of Muslims.

I don't think this is likely. :holmes:
Original post by Hydeman
I don't think this is likely. :holmes:

Ooops sorry I meant both secularization and ex-muslims is growing faster than growth of Muslims (I guess it's just 'secularisation' then since ex-Muslims are usually irreligious).

Latest

Trending

Trending