The Student Room Group

What's your ideal final job and income?

Scroll to see replies

My dream is to be an immigration solicitor if all works out the way that I want it to. The money is not my main goal but rather helping other people. The starting salary for an immigration solicitor is approximately between 40-50 K but obviously the goal is to expand. I also have a blog on social issues which I am hoping to expand and have thousands of readers one day. Feel free to check it out and share it with anyone else who might be interested. Looking to inspire and empower people.

I hope that everyone in this thread achieves their goals as having ambition is beautiful.

The website is philachange.wordpress.com
My ideal job is being a housewife so I'd personally have an income of zero... Unless you count kids as income haha
Personally:
Managing Director in tech/tmt investment banking: 7 figures

or

Partner in upper middle market/megafund private equity: 7 figures

or

My own tech company: minimal salary but hopefully substantial stock

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I think I d like to work my way up to being a pharmacy technician,which is about 20k. I ve never been motivated by money really, just want to make a good impact on the world and have enough for a mortgage and a little family really.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Scientific researcher, £90k

What company or what kind of research?
£50K is my ideal salary

Statistical research + consultancy or Statistician in the civil service (as high up as I can get)
Reply 26
I would love to go into cancer research and have my own lab and lab team. Possibly do some sci comm on the side.

Is "economic researcher" a job? As for income... I'd be fine with anything above 40K but I'd prefer more like 100-150K so I can burn without not worrying much, which should come from investments.
Original post by Imperion
Is "economic researcher" a job? As for income... I'd be fine with anything above 40K but I'd prefer more like 100-150K so I can burn without not worrying much, which should come from investments.

It is indeed a job. Could be at a university, bank or think tank

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Platopus
My ideal job is being a housewife so I'd personally have an income of zero... Unless you count kids as income haha

I always thought you were a dude...
Original post by Imperion
I always thought you were a dude...

Awks. I am most definitely a dudette.
Genomic Counsellor within the NHS. Starting salary of between 26-35K but eventually can be as high as 78-99k if positions of leadership and research are also taken up. :smile: Hopefully going to Uni to study Genetics and Molecular Biology and then applying for the NHS STP (Scientist Training Programme)
Professor of Physics at either Cambridge or MIT. Don't give the slightest damn about the money.
My dream career would be a researcher in the field of psychology and have my work published in academic journals. I would absolutely love to present some of my work on a TED Talk:biggrin:. I'm not too sure what the salary would be, maybe around 35k
Lawyer/judge $250k+ If I do move to America.
Lawyer then moving on to a judge and after 10+ years go into the queens counsel could be earning millions although £300k is more likely.
and it will always be variable depending on demand and if I am working for a company
Original post by Princepieman
If everything fell into place for you in the future, when you're nearing retirement, what would you say would be your ideal job level/title and total income at that point?

What about net worth?

I'd like my final job to be teaching, so probably around £30,000 :laugh:

But before that I would like to have a job in IB, consultancy or accountancy.
Original post by jamestg
I'd like my final job to be teaching, so probably around £30,000 :laugh:

But before that I would like to have a job in IB, consultancy or accountancy.

Seems to be a trend with the whole city career --> teaching thing. Is that just to unwind after a career of long hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems to be a trend with the whole city career --> teaching thing. Is that just to unwind after a career of long hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much. And perhaps the fact you should have enough money saved to have a decent lifestyle and (most likely) no mortgage to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol teaching is NOT a career you can unwind with. It is stressful af, almost as much as a city career

I just think it's a very rewarding career since you're shaping your students' futures and you are partly responsible for their success or failure. It would be a great feeling to make someone realise their potential and succeed in something, especially when they have a long future ahead of them. Some of my teachers have been really good at doing this and that kinda inspired me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Lol teaching is NOT a career you can unwind with. It is stressful af, almost as much as a city career

I just think it's a very rewarding career since you're shaping your students' futures and you are partly responsible for their success or failure. It would be a great feeling to make someone realise their potential and succeed in something, especially when they have a long future ahead of them. Some of my teachers have been really good at doing this and that kinda inspired me.

Well.. It still is less stressful considering the stakes, hours and time off.

I guess there's the argument of being a role model for your pupils to aspire to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending