The Student Room Group

Why is life so unfair?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Inexorably
Life itself is not being 'unfair', there is nothing about the definition of life which says one must have X amount of opportunities.

Everything is pure chance.

Exactly. If jerks get many opportunities and manyy friends etc, and the nice guy doesnt get any opportunities or friends given they have equal qualities would that be fair? The point is life isnt always what you make of it. Some people get what they deserve and some dont. If a person is poor you cant just automatically say its your fault
Reply 81
Original post by Anonymous
I mean we never really get anywhere. This world clearly isn't for us..Or is it?

What makes you think you're; 'Good, A Hero or a White Knight' exactly?
Original post by cookie123456789
Natural Selection. Survival of the fittest. It's a dog eat dog world.

Leylin?
Original post by Rispekt
Exactly. If jerks get many opportunities and manyy friends etc, and the nice guy doesnt get any opportunities or friends given they have equal qualities would that be fair? The point is life isnt always what you make of it. Some people get what they deserve and some dont. If a person is poor you cant just automatically say its your fault

You can't say 'exactly' then write something in complete opposition to my viewpoint. There is nothing FAIR/UNFAIR about the situation, you are given what you are given and there is nothing about the definition of life that says you're entitled to certain things.

Life is always what you make out of it, even in the worst of situations you can change your perspective and view life positively.
Reply 84
Original post by hezzlington
what

Things have existed fine before the study of science even began. Now people reject everything if it doesnt lie in their scientific study without experiencing it
Lol don't be delusional mate you're hateful - not a single bit of constructive advice was given by you.In all honesty I believed life had been unfair to me given that life was perfect until about the year before last when my mum got cancer and only has 50% chance of living for the next 5 years, my girlfriend started being abusive and then left, I failed my exams- ruining my chances of getting in anywhere good- destroying my confidence and turning me into a door mat. Obviously I was out of line to ask for some help/advice on an internet forum. Yep, sorry my bad. I don't think I changed much but quite clearly I have because things are completely different now. Having religion forced down my throat and being told the reason my mum was ill was because I was neglecting my heritage... I tried doing the right things and play by the book and got burnt.

If you want to believe I'm hateful then go right a head. But I did give you constructive advice.

I said if you're unhappy with your life you are the only one who can change it, and to stop blaming others and instead take responsibility for yourself. It just seems that is an answer you did not want to hear. This was in the context of "jobs, education and women" as you had put within your original few posts as you did not in any way go into detail.

There was no mention of illness which if course is neither you nor your mothers fault. And yes it is "unfair" that happened. But there is no guarantee for life to be fair, and there is no reason it should be. Life is life. Sometimes you get a good hand, others a bad, There is no rhyme or reason to things like that.

As for your abusive girlfriend. That's awful and there is no excuse for her to have abused you. Abuse is always wrong. But putting all women in the same category and saying they all have "twisted minds" as you said in another post is hardly helping anything is it? Being bitter towards all women because of one is not helping you. And that is something you need to take responsibility for and change.

As for failing education, obviously going through a tough time was going to affect your education. But dwelling on it and giving up complete again is not going to help is it?

As for the religion, anyone who said that to you is plain and simple a **** and you should cut them out of your life where possible. If you don't believe in your religion, simply don't follow it and move on with your life if that would make your life easier and happier, even if at first it may be hard.

So like I said, if you're unhappy. Change it, do something different. You are in control of what you do with your life.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Just ignore her. I just wish some people would show the slightest empathy and kindness. Im glad that you tried to reach out for help as its better than sitting there with your emotions and feelings bottled up. People think its so easy to "change your life". Its easier said than done.

I love the naivety that I hadn't tried to fix this myself- the reason I refuted most of the answers is because I've heard or read this stuff before and none of it worked. Every sing thing I tried didn't work so I've had to resort to this. It just seemed that everything started going wrong all at once. But again, thank you. I hope i'll get out of this all time low some how.
Original post by Rispekt
Exactly. You follow other people. Not all things need scientific backing. Things have existed just fine before science existed. Im not saying live your life by it...You cant live your life by it. But you can detect the strengths and the weaknesses in your horoscope and then act on it

Wow....just wow. I don't think you even understand what you said here.

Science and scientific law has always existed.
People think they are so clever by pointing out the obvious "if your life is miserable then change your attitude" like wow do you not think OP knows that already? Like it really pisses me off when people cant give a piece of useful advice and be even the slightest empathetic and offer some real help??? If for example your parent died and I said "oh well its your fault you're sad because of your attitude" how do you think it would make you feel? PLEASE try and be a little bit kinder or say nothing at all. The OP just wants someone to listen to him and be there for him and maybe offer something he can do but you all are so hurtful! It really makes me sad to see this kind of behaviour.
I do. My life hasn't worked out as well as i'd hoped and my future seems bleak. I get abused a lot because of my soft, caring nature.

You don't need to change. Life is a fxcking b*tch, but trust me it always gets better. Stay yourself tho, it's very important

Original post by Serine Soul
Hey at least you're not France, losing the Euro 2016 final, on your own soil

I am heartbroken :cry2: at least Portugal was deserving :moon:
Original post by SophieSmall
If you want to believe I'm hateful then go right a head. But I did give you constructive advice.

I said if you're unhappy with your life you are the only one who can change it, and to stop blaming others and instead take responsibility for yourself. It just seems that is an answer you did not want to hear. This was in the context of "jobs, education and women" as you had put within your original few posts as you did not in any way go into detail.

There was no mention of illness which if course is neither you nor your mothers fault. And yes it is "unfair" that happened. But there is no guarantee for life to be fair, and there is no reason it should be. Life is life. Sometimes you get a good hand, others a bad, There is no rhyme or reason to things like that.

As for your abusive girlfriend. That's awful and there is no excuse for her to have abused you. Abuse is always wrong. But putting all women in the same category and saying they all have "twisted minds" as you said in another post is hardly helping anything is it? Being bitter towards all women because of one is not helping you. And that is something you need to take responsibility for and change.

As for failing education, obviously going through a tough time was going to affect your education. But dwelling on it and giving up complete again is not going to help is it?

As for the religion, anyone who said that to you is plain and simple a **** and you should cut them out of your life where possible. If you don't believe in your religion, simply don't follow it and move on with your life if that would make your life easier and happier, even if at first it may be hard.

So like I said, if you're unhappy. Change it, do something different. You are in control of what you do with your life.

What do you think the purpose of posting this thread is? I'm trying to change my life lol.. but clearly I don't have the means or knowledge to do so but I'm glad that you at least have a somewhat human side.
Reply 91
You can't say 'exactly' then write something in complete opposition to my viewpoint. There is nothing FAIR/UNFAIR about the situation, you are given what you are given and there is nothing about the definition of life that says you're entitled to certain things.

Life is always what you make out of it, even in the worst of situations you can change your perspective and view life positively.

No one said you are entitled to anything. But if everyone starts from 0 and everyone puts the same efforts, why do some people get further than others. If you put in effort and you dont succeed while others dont put in efforts and do succeed it defeats what you're trying to say doesnt it. The person that tries harder here should be succeeding but the opposite happens
Original post by sameehaiqbal
People think they are so clever by pointing out the obvious "if your life is miserable then change your attitude" like wow do you not think OP knows that already? Like it really pisses me off when people cant give a piece of useful advice and be even the slightest empathetic and offer some real help??? If for example your parent died and I said "oh well its your fault you're sad because of your attitude" how do you think it would make you feel? PLEASE try and be a little bit kinder or say nothing at all. The OP just wants someone to listen to him and be there for him and maybe offer something he can do but you all are so hurtful! It really makes me sad to see this kind of behaviour.

Bold = Already gave the advice, change your perspective. The most useful form of advice out there - the Stoics, Absurdists, many Nazi Holocaust Camp survivors etc. have all come out with messages along the lines of "you always have a choice on how you feel/react to life".

Legit not at 1 point have I said the death of someone isn't a bad thing and I do take great sympathy for anyone experiencing that, but nevertheless life is always going to be how you view the world.

Mollycoddling people and saying that life is unfair etc. isnt going to help jackshit.
Reply 93
Original post by SophieSmall
Wow....just wow. I don't think you even understand what you said here.

Science and scientific law has always existed.

By science I meant the study of science. You knew what I said you just like to pretend you did english at uni
Original post by FrenchUnicorn

:console: I was really hoping France would win too
What do you think the purpose of posting this thread is? I'm trying to change my life lol.. but clearly I don't have the means or knowledge to do so but I'm glad that you at least have a somewhat human side.

Well if you wanted more tailored advice you probably should have posted a less vague thread.

How can you expect people to help you change your life if you haven't really given them any information on what you want to change or what has been getting in your way?

The more specific you are the more people can help.
[QUOTE=Rispekt;6636233
6]Things have existed fine before the study of science even began. Now people reject everything if it doesnt lie in their scientific study without experiencing itAnd when exactly did the study of science begin?
Original post by Rispekt
No one said you are entitled to anything. But if everyone starts from 0 and everyone puts the same efforts, why do some people get further than others. If you put in effort and you dont succeed while others dont put in efforts and do succeed it defeats what you're trying to say doesnt it. The person that tries harder here should be succeeding but the opposite happens

That's an unfortunate situation but, once again, there's nothing about everyday situations that says people who try harder "must succeed more". It's sucky but to call it unfair is just silly.
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
You don't need to change. Life is a fxcking b*tch, but trust me it always gets better. Stay yourself tho, it's very important

I was starting to doubt myself and whether its me or this world and whether I need to become colder/ clinical like the rest of guys I know. Do you think I can still succeed and be me? (I know this is naïve but I value everyone's opinion).
Reply 99
Bold = Already gave the advice, change your perspective. The most useful form of advice out there - the Stoics, Absurdists, many Nazi Holocaust Camp survivors etc. have all come out with messages along the lines of "you always have a choice on how you feel/react to life".

Legit not at 1 point have I said the death of someone isn't a bad thing and I do take great sympathy for anyone experiencing that, but nevertheless life is always going to be how you view the world.

Mollycoddling people and saying that life is unfair etc. isnt going to help jackshit.

So you are saying that nothing physical matters because it will always depend on your viewpoint? Then why are you doing anything. Just think everything will be alright and stop working or studying

Quick Reply

Latest