The Student Room Group

How often do you go home per term?

My family is fairly orthodox and as I am a girl, they would really like it if I come home for the weekends - or even just for one day.
My older brother, who studies chemistry at university, brings his work home with him every friday/saturday and goes back to his uni on sunday.
I'm planning on studying medicine, hopefully at oxbridge, and i would like a rough idea on how often some people go home. The workload is intense and I imagine I won't be able to come home for an entire weekend like my brother, but do you think it would be possible to spend at least a day home every week?

How often do you go home per term (if you do go home)?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hideseek
My family is fairly orthodox and as I am a girl, they would really like it if I come home for the weekends - or even just for one day.
My older brother, who studies chemistry at university, cbrings his work home with him every friday/saturday and goes back to his uni on sunday.
I'm planning on studying medicine, hopefully at oxbridge, and i would like a rough idea on how often some people go home. The workload is intense and I imagine I won't be able to come home for an entire weekend like my brother, but do you think it would be possible to spend at least a day home every week?

At Cambridge, and I think Oxford is similar, you are expected to "keep term". In other words, to stay at your college accommodation every night. They won't mind an occasional away day (and night), but doing it regularly may cause problems.

For one thing, as you touched on yourself, the workload doesn't easily allow it.

And Oxbridge terms are short anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Aha my family are a bit like that too. They want me back every weekend but lol I've told them if I get into Cambridge, I'll have lectures on Saturday...

I'd say the workload is a bit too high to be shifting yourself home every week, unless you live a short journey away :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
At Cambridge, and I think Oxford is similar, you are expected to "keep term". In other words, to stay at your college accommodation every night. They won't mind an occasional away day (and night), but doing it regularly may cause problems.

For one thing, as you touched on yourself, the workload doesn't easily allow it.

And Oxbridge terms are short anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, that makes sense, so say, in theory, if i was to go back home for one day every other week (so around 3-6 days per term), would that cause too many problems?

The short term time gives me some ease because that means even if I can't go home every weekend, the "break" would be soon to avoid conflict at home
Reply 4
Original post by Serine Soul
Aha my family are a bit like that too. They want me back every weekend but lol I've told them if I get into Cambridge, I'll have lectures on Saturday...

I'd say the workload is a bit too high to be shifting yourself home every week, unless you live a short journey away :smile:

I live just over 1 hour away by car but that's usually due to traffic, my parents want me to come back every weekend but I really don't think it's possible
(edited 7 years ago)
I live about 1.5 hours away by car but that's usually due to traffic, my parents want me to come back every weekend but I really don't think it's possible

It's not possible and they'll have to accept that I guess
Reply 6
Ah, that makes sense, so say, in theory, if i was to go back home for one day every other week (so around 3-6 days per term), would that cause too many problems?

The short term time gives me some ease because that means even if I can't go home every weekend, the "break" would be soon to avoid conflict at home

I'll let a current or recent student reply on how strict this is in practice... I'd suggest 1 or 2 a term may be ok, but more may not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
I'll let a current or recent student reply on how strict this is in practice... I'd suggest 1 or 2 a term may be ok, but more may not.

I'll keep this thread open in case a current student wishes to share what they do, but thank you for your answer! I guess i just have to explain how intense itll be to my parents
Reply 8
I'll keep this thread open in case a current student wishes to share what they do, but thank you for your answer! I guess i just have to explain how intense itll be to my parents

Correct :smile:
My older brother, who studies chemistry at university, brings his work home with him every friday/saturday and goes back to his uni on sunday.

How far away are you? If you live within reasonable commuting distance then I it's definitely possible to go home for the weekends occasionally but I think it's very likely that you will not want to do this regularly. The issue isn't the university regulations, I do not think that anybody pays a huge amount of attention to that unless you're spending an extremely noticeable amount of time away (I've gone home for the weekend several times without anybody asking any questions), the issue is more that your workload is going to be extremely high during term-time and it's probably not in your interest to go away from your working environment for the weekends. I think it's absolutely fine to do it a couple of times a term but I do not think it's recommendable to do it weekly..
On your free days make time to visit your parents at least one every two weeks. Parents won't be around forever and your work load is only going to become more difficult throughout the years, make the effort now.
@jneill is right, at Cambridge we have to keep term meaning we have to attend 8 full weeks of term, 3 terms a year and if we don't keep term (record kept by your tutor in the form of exeats at the end of term) then you can't be conferred your degree at the end of your time there. You can, however, make up for lost time as long as you do attend the correct number of days per academic year.

In short, we can go home to visit, but you will have to make up for the lost time (if recorded that you have left). Some people do leave without mentioning it, although risky, it isn't checked rigorously.

You can do 1 maybe 2 days unnoticed. Regular visits home would have to be declared and the days that you do miss of term will have to be made up in order for you to successfully keep term.
(edited 7 years ago)
I live about 1.5 hours away by car but that's usually due to traffic, my parents want me to come back every weekend but I really don't think it's possible

Wherabouts do you live. I heard if you take a direct train from King's Cross, the journey is about 45 minutes.
Original post by champ_mc99
Wherabouts do you live. I heard if you take a direct train from King's Cross, the journey is about 45 minutes.

Have they said they live in London? If so I'd personally recommend the Oxford Tube or X90, it's not as fast as the train but you don't need to book it in advance and it's very cheap. I usually get a set of 12 tickets which equates to something just over £5 one way.
Reply 14
Original post by Plagioclase
How far away are you? If you live within reasonable commuting distance then I it's definitely possible to go home for the weekends occasionally but I think it's very likely that you will not want to do this regularly. The issue isn't the university regulations, I do not think that anybody pays a huge amount of attention to that unless you're spending an extremely noticeable amount of time away (I've gone home for the weekend several times without anybody asking any questions), the issue is more that your workload is going to be extremely high during term-time and it's probably not in your interest to go away from your working environment for the weekends. I think it's absolutely fine to do it a couple of times a term but I do not think it's recommendable to do it weekly..

I made a mistake earlier in the thread by saying i live 1.5 hours away, i live just over 1hr away by car and i realise now the workload will be quite intense to leave every weekend, thank you for your reply!
Have they said they live in London? If so I'd personally recommend the Oxford Tube or X90, it's not as fast as the train but you don't need to book it in advance and it's very cheap. I usually get a set of 12 tickets which equates to something just over £5 one way.

I have no idea. That's why I asked.

Damn that's pretty cheap. Train tickets can go as high as 20 (one way!).
Reply 16
Original post by Protoxylic
@jneill is right, at Cambridge we have to keep term meaning we have to attend 8 full weeks of term, 3 terms a year and if we don't keep term (record kept by your tutor in the form of exeats at the end of term) then you can't be conferred your degree at the end of your time there. You can, however, make up for lost time as long as you do attend the correct number of days per academic year.

In short, we can go home to visit, but you will have to make up for the lost time (if recorded that you have left). Some people do leave without mentioning it, although risky, it isn't checked rigorously.

You can do 1 maybe 2 days unnoticed. Regular visits home would have to be declared and the days that you do miss of term will have to be made up in order for you to successfully keep term.

Ooh, so say if i was to miss 3 saturdays in one term, i would have to make up for it later?

Also, would it count as a missed day if i were to leave Saturday morning but come back saturday afternoon/evening?
Reply 17
Original post by champ_mc99

I made a mistake earlier by saying 1.5 hours. With decent traffic, from my house to oxford, it would take just over 1 hour by car.
Reply 18
I made a mistake earlier in the thread by saying i live 1.5 hours away, i live just over 1hr away by car and i realise now the workload will be quite intense to leave every weekend, thank you for your reply!

You live an hour from where? Oxford or Cambridge? (You've posted in the Oxbridge forum which is why people from both universities are offering advice...).

And don't forget traffic in both cities is very bad so a 1 hour car trip can easily take much longer. Also you aren't usually allowed your own car at either university, because traffic and parking is so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh, so say if i was to miss 3 saturdays in one term, i would have to make up for it later?

Also, would it count as a missed day if i were to leave Saturday morning but come back saturday afternoon/evening?

Yes you would have to make up for it, typically you can make them up at the end of term (term ends slightly before some colleges' accommodation rental period ends).

As for the intricacies I'm not quite sure, I'd be tempted to say that your example wouldn't count as missing a day. But I'm not entirely sure. You'd have to email the senior tutor or your tutor for that level of detail. I wouldn't really think that they'd be that bothered, if you miss 6 hours of the day then nobody is going to notice.

The system is very outdated (as are many things at Cambridge/Oxford) so actually keeping up with that system is difficult; you can't realistically track every person. So I wouldn't stress so much about missing perhaps 2 or 3 days per term, as long as you don't miss supervisions as they are the most important thing to attend.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending