The Student Room Group

I'm an ex-muslim named "Mohamed" and I am tired of being misrepresented... Help!

EDIT: Accidentally posted the same thread twice... Whoops! Here is the repost http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4207956

I'm here to ask for some advice as I thought some of you could be of help. I come from a white muslim family and my name is "Mohamed." I'm 17 and have had problems with my name ever since I abandoned the religion. I have no plans of coming out as an ex-muslim to my parents (religious af) anytime soon. I've opened the topic about changing my name to them multiple times but they think of it as absolute blasphemy. My excuse to them is that I don't want to be discriminated against in the Western world and that the name is far too common. I have no idea how to approach them about it. I was born and raised in Australia almost all my life, and I'm planning to go to college in the UK after completing my high school education here in the Middle East (here due to father's work), where any sign of apostasy is a death sentence. I hate feeling misrepresented by my name as I want to distance myself from the faith as far as possible. I feel like bearing an Islamic name will prevent me admittance into a college I like or a place I want to work at in the future.

Should I tell people my unofficial desired name if I wish to introduce myself? Is it worth being disowned by my parents to change my name? Am I rightfully concerned about being discriminated against when it comes to applying to a uni/ for a job? What should I do?
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

I'm an ex-Muslim as well, however none of it had to do with fearing discrimination. I am not what the ignorant people who would discriminate view as "Muslim-looking" and my name is not "Muslim-sounding" either. The only ways that people could mistaken me for a Muslim is if either I'm out with my hijabi mum or they see my passport photo, which features me in a hijab. But if they are the sort of people who would discriminate if I was a Muslim I would want to know about it, because then it would be easier not to associate with such people.

If you don't want people to assume that you are a Muslim because you don't want to associate with the religion, perhaps opt for a nickname? Don't worry about universities; as far as I know they won't care about your religious background, as long as you have the grades and can pay (they are businesses, after all). When it comes to jobs, it's difficult to tell but if you focus on building up your CV through activities at uni you should be fine. And at least you know that your employers are not bigots who would refuse to hire you because of your name. Best of luck.
Original post by WBZ144
I'm an ex-Muslim as well, however none of it had to do with fearing discrimination. I am not what the ignorant people who would discriminate view as "Muslim-looking" and my name is not "Muslim-sounding" either. The only ways that people could mistaken me for a Muslim is if either I'm out with my hijabi mum or they see my passport photo, which features me in a hijab. But if they are the sort of people who would discriminate if I was a Muslim I would want to know about it, because then it would be easier not to associate with such people.

If you don't want people to assume that you are a Muslim because you don't want to associate with the religion, perhaps opt for a nickname? Don't worry about universities; as far as I know they won't care about your religious background, as long as you have the grades and can pay (they are businesses, after all). When it comes to jobs, it's difficult to tell but if you focus on building up your CV through activities at uni you should be fine. And at least you know that your employers are not bigots who would refuse to hire you because of your name. Best of luck.

where r u from? Just curious?
Can't you change your name?
Original post by PrincessBO$$
where r u from? Just curious?

London :h:

Parents are converts.

The origins of my first name is Nigerian, surname is English.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
London :h:

Parents are converts.

ahh. Where r u from ethnically? I live in London too but I'm Somali
Original post by PrincessBO$$
ahh. Where r u from ethnically? I live in London too but I'm Somali

Sorry, I edited my post. I'm ethnically half Nigerian and half Caribbean.
Reply 8
Original post by WBZ144

It's very true that one wouldn't want to associate themselves with judgemental bigots in the first place, but unfortunately we live in an unfair world where your chances of success and opportunities to achieve your dream may lie in the hands of these narrow-minded racists. Btw, I never left Islam because of discrimination; I left it for reasons more to do with rejecting religious ideology/existence of god as a whole. (Besides the fact that Islamic holy scripture is in my opinion quite despicable).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ExMoose
It's very true that one wouldn't want to associate themselves with judgemental bigots in the first place, but unfortunately we live in an unfair world where your chances of success and opportunities to achieve your dream may lie in the hands of these narrow-minded racists. Btw, I never left Islam because of discrimination; I left it for reasons more to do with rejecting religious ideology/existence of god as a whole. (Besides the fact that Islamic holy scripture is in my opinion quite despicable).

Unfortunately you're right :frown:. Don't worry though; I worked at a multinational corporation last year and there were quite a few Muhammads. The large companies may prefer to have a diverse staff, so your name probably won't work against you if you are aiming for one of those companies. Become the sort of candidate who they won't want to pass up and hopefully you will be fine :h:
Reply 10
Accidentally posted the same thread twice... Whoops! Here is the more active repost... Don't know which to delete http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4207956
Reply 11
Original post by WBZ144
Unfortunately you're right :frown:. Don't worry though; I worked at a multinational corporation last year and there were quite a few Muhammads. The large companies may prefer to have a diverse staff, so your name probably won't work against you if you are aiming for one of those companies. Become the sort of candidate who they won't want to pass up and hopefully you will be fine

Thank you for the support :h: . It really is unfortunate that I'd have to work extra hard just to prove that I'm not just a name... But my chief concern is more to do with being fairly considered admittance into a good uni without having to worry about my name underestimating me as an applicant. If I can make it through that without a hitch, then I can worry about changing my name later once I've graduated and am older to really consider the implications a name change would have on me and familial relationships.

Fingers crossed...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending