The Student Room Group

Do you change your behaviour as you get older?

Most people change as they get older but partly only to conform to society or to maintain their dignity. For example a lot of people don't go clubbing when they are maybe past 27. When people are maybe past 23 they want to move out etc. Also maybe when people are 35 they don't wear hoodies or get drunk to the point of puking up etc. So do you get depressed about growing older and not being able to be silly any more/ having to be moree mature ?
No because literally I'm only 16 but if I still acted like I did 4 years ago I'd be an embarrassment to the human race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can get silly all the way you want when you're older, you just have to remember there's consequences to it. Also, there's perhaps mortgages to pay and kids to feed :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
bump
Reply 4
Original post by perspectives
No because literally I'm only 16 but if I still acted like I did 4 years ago I'd be an embarrassment to the human race.

So that's basically a yes then...
Original post by Davalla
So that's basically a yes then...

OP asked if people got sad about it. No I don't get sad. That's a no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I supposed growing up, you don't "have" to be mature, but you become more mature.

You'e not drinking to the point of puking anymore because you know your limits, you have things to do the next day, you hate having hang overs.

Wanting to move out is less about society, and more about your relationship with the rest of your family, perhaps now you are more financially stable you are old enough to make decent decisions without asking your parents for help, you know how to look after yourself.

There are quite a few people who still go clubbing, even when they are older, so I'm not quite sure where you are getting this information from.

As you grow older, you wouldn't tend to conform to society, you just grow into yourself. You don't listen much to what other people think, and base your own decisions on your own judgement. You start to think about what is more important for you. You decide your own beliefs as opposed to what your parents/friends think.

I'd actually say you conform less to society - because as a young person society expects you to get drunk, expects you to be reckless, expect you to "act like a child because you only get one chance to have fun".
Original post by stargirl63
I supposed growing up, you don't "have" to be mature, but you become more mature.

You'e not drinking to the point of puking anymore because you know your limits, you have things to do the next day, you hate having hang overs.

Wanting to move out is less about society, and more about your relationship with the rest of your family, perhaps now you are more financially stable you are old enough to make decent decisions without asking your parents for help, you know how to look after yourself.

There are quite a few people who still go clubbing, even when they are older, so I'm not quite sure where you are getting this information from.

As you grow older, you wouldn't tend to conform to society, you just grow into yourself. You don't listen much to what other people think, and base your own decisions on your own judgement. You start to think about what is more important for you. You decide your own beliefs as opposed to what your parents/friends think.

I'd actually say you conform less to society - because as a young person society expects you to get drunk, expects you to be reckless, expect you to "act like a child because you only get one chance to have fun".

no but things change especially for a man it kind of become embarrassing still living with your parents at one point. Also once I saw a girl with her mum in a club and it just looked weird
When you ARE older you don't get sad about it because you don't want to do those things. I used to love going out clubbing when I was 19-24, I could go out 3 times a week. I could never imagine not wanting to go out. Now I'm 27 and I go clubbing occasionally - mainly with slightly younger friends but honestly I don't enjoy it. I prefer going to bars or pubs or going for a nice meal. Even this year at Glastonbury I was asleep by 1 every night - just have no desire to get wasted and stay out all night anymore.

Though this may be in part due to the fact that I'm now in a long term relationship rather than my age. Or a bit of both.*
Original post by karl pilkington
Most people change as they get older but partly only to conform to society or to maintain their dignity. For example a lot of people don't go clubbing when they are maybe past 27. When people are maybe past 23 they want to move out etc. Also maybe when people are 35 they don't wear hoodies or get drunk to the point of puking up etc. So do you get depressed about growing older and not being able to be silly any more/ having to be moree mature ?

I have to disagree based on the behavior some of my relatives.:smile:
Reply 10
Karl is back!
Original post by perspectives
OP asked if people got sad about it. No I don't get sad. That's a no.

The way I see it, is that big Karl's main question was the one in the title, which seemed to be a yes from you.

But anyway, I getchu.
Original post by karl pilkington
no but things change especially for a man it kind of become embarrassing still living with your parents at one point. Also once I saw a girl with her mum in a club and it just looked weird

Well then maybe that's you wanting to be "socially accepted". Also, consider the line between conforming to society, and wanting to impress the opposite sex, I find the two regularly confused during conversations like this. The moving out thing for example - why would it be embarassing to live with your parents? You save on rent, you can still do what you want, you probably get nice home cooked meals too...who wouldn't want that? Its usually due to expectation of trying to impress a woman, where usually things like this feel like a problem (even though they may not be.)

I actually think the opposite. I know more people who can't afford accommodation, than those who can, therefore, as much as one would love to move out, it seems that the majority don't (can't).
People change their behaviour as they immerse in a new environment, meet new people and freely adapt to fit in best. People change their behaviour as they travel around and experience new things, possibly changing their attitude. People change after very stressful events that become a part of them.

People change their behaviour due to the circumstances of their life, and age plays a big part in this, as the longer you've lived, the more you've experienced. However this is very arbitrary and individual differences show that.

I just find these kinds of things interesting.

Also I think regardless of age, everyone enjoys the freedom to be childish every now and then.
Of course you do. It might be a little less noticeable to you if you don't self reflect every once in a while. I'm much more mature than I was 2 years ago, at the risk of sounding pretentious. It has a lot to do with the people you meet I think :smile: Nurture > Nature.
Original post by TreeFellOnMe
People change their behaviour as they immerse in a new environment, meet new people and freely adapt to fit in best. People change their behaviour as they travel around and experience new things, possibly changing their attitude. People change after very stressful events that become a part of them.

People change their behaviour due to the circumstances of their life, and age plays a big part in this, as the longer you've lived, the more you've experienced. However this is very arbitrary and individual differences show that.

I just find these kinds of things interesting.

Also I think regardless of age, everyone enjoys the freedom to be childish every now and then.

A very accurate summing up, if I may say so. Because of my upbringing, I was very protective of my children and would get very annoyed if they were in a situation where they were being picked on. When they were little I would wade in there and possibly thump the perpetrator. As I got older, I would stop and think and then wade in and thump said perpetrator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending