The Student Room Group

Went to uni, dropped out now reapplying, do i have to say I've already been to uni?

So I did a year at university, finished first year then left and had a gap year. Now im reapplying to uni and i don't want them not to give me a place because I've already done a year on the same course so i'd have an unfair advantage, so can I just say I've had 2 years off and not say I've been to uni? do they have any way of knowing?

Scroll to see replies

You have to tell them
Can't you apply for the second year if you've completed the first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
which uni?
Reply 4
Original post by samzy21
Can't you apply for the second year if you've completed the first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they wouldn't let me in because they do an extra module that my last uni didn't do so i'd be too behind
Original post by help-me-plz
So I did a year at university, finished first year then left and had a gap year. Now im reapplying to uni and i don't want them not to give me a place because I've already done a year on the same course so i'd have an unfair advantage, so can I just say I've had 2 years off and not say I've been to uni? do they have any way of knowing?

No, you can't, because that is fraudulent. Your Ucas application will link up with your previous one; you will have an unexplained year to lie about and Student Finance will already have records of your first year. Universities will care very little about your false start. They will care very much about your submitting a fraudulent application.
Reply 6
It may look worse if you just leave a gap
Reply 7
Original post by pewdiepig
which uni?

york uni
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, you can't, because that is fraudulent. Your Ucas application will link up with your previous one; you will have an unexplained year to lie about and Student Finance will already have records of your first year. Universities will care very little about your false start. They will care very much about your submitting a fraudulent application.

I'm not sure what to say about it because i applied to york through clearing last year and they wouldnt accept me because i already did a year of the same course at warwick so i would have an unfair advantage. i really want to get accepted to york, what should/could i say about it? and should i email them about it or try and write something about it in my personal statement?
I'm not sure what to say about it because i applied to york through clearing last year and they wouldnt accept me because i already did a year of the same course at warwick so i would have an unfair advantage. i really want to get accepted to york, what should/could i say about it? and should i email them about it or try and write something about it in my personal statement?

I'd call them and ask. Don't put anything in your ps about your 'failure' to complete the first time. A ps should be a positive statement about why you want to do this course, not why you didn't want to do that one.

I think whatever they said at York before sounds a bit strange. Why would they not want someone who will hit the ground running? I would call them and ask them what their view of you would be, and try to get put through to someone beyond the front line of phone answering, because I'm a bit suspicious of the answer you say they gave. Many people have a false start - thousands and thousands - and it does not hinder them in their second application. You have five slots on your Ucas form and languages are so woefully undersubscribed that you shouldn't have trouble getting offers. Being determined only to go to York is possibly a route to unhappiness.
Reply 10
I'd call them and ask. Don't put anything in your ps about your 'failure' to complete the first time. A ps should be a positive statement about why you want to do this course, not why you didn't want to do that one.

I think whatever they said at York before sounds a bit strange. Why would they not want someone who will hit the ground running? I would call them and ask them what their view of you would be, and try to get put through to someone beyond the front line of phone answering, because I'm a bit suspicious of the answer you say they gave. Many people have a false start - thousands and thousands - and it does not hinder them in their second application. You have five slots on your Ucas form and languages are so woefully undersubscribed that you shouldn't have trouble getting offers. Being determined only to go to York is possibly a route to unhappiness.

thank you! yeah i think i definitely need to talk to someone at york. but due to family issues i need to stay close to home so thats why york is such a perfect fit!

yeah i'm not sure why they said that about an unfair advantage, maybe when it comes to exams or assignments and i'll already have done some work on it? not sure why that would be a problem though especially when first year doesnt really count for anything.
thank you! yeah i think i definitely need to talk to someone at york. but due to family issues i need to stay close to home so thats why york is such a perfect fit!

yeah i'm not sure why they said that about an unfair advantage, maybe when it comes to exams or assignments and i'll already have done some work on it? not sure why that would be a problem though especially when first year doesnt really count for anything.

Sounds like a bit of woolly thinking on someone's part. Talk to them. There's also Leeds, Hull, Sheffield to consider near to York, depending on which side you live on. Should be commutable if necessary.
Reply 12
Sounds like a bit of woolly thinking on someone's part. Talk to them. There's also Leeds, Hull, Sheffield to consider near to York, depending on which side you live on. Should be commutable if necessary.

Thank you! Really helpful advice :smile:

do i need to write about my year at warwick etc in my personal statement?

I have applied after having failed first year of iuni too, i have received 4 offers so far and none of the unis asked anything about my year at uni. They dont care. As long as you meet the grades, your ps and reference is good then they wont treat you differently then if you were a first time uni applicant!
Thank you! Really helpful advice :smile:

do i need to write about my year at warwick etc in my personal statement?

You really dont need to, but if you have something positive to say then do! But dont say anything negative or anything that could sound like an excuse.
Reply 15
Original post by lolakirk
I have applied after having failed first year of iuni too, i have received 4 offers so far and none of the unis asked anything about my year at uni. They dont care. As long as you meet the grades, your ps and reference is good then they wont treat you differently then if you were a first time uni applicant!

Do you think it would be okay to use my personal statement that i used for my application the first time around with no alterations? and then if they have questions about my 2 years between leaving schooling now they can ask me after I apply?
Do you think it would be okay to use my personal statement that i used for my application the first time around with no alterations? and then if they have questions about my 2 years between leaving schooling now they can ask me after I apply?

No, update it. Do you want them to you have spent two years doing nothing? That won't advance your cause much.
Reply 17
No, update it. Do you want them to you have spent two years doing nothing? That won't advance your cause much.

but is my personal statement not about why i want to apply rather than what i've been doing? i'm just not really sure how to work in my first year at uni that i've done and my year off :/
but is my personal statement not about why i want to apply rather than what i've been doing? i'm just not really sure how to work in my first year at uni that i've done and my year off :/

Sure it is, but you must have done SOMETHING in those two years which will make you a better applicant?
Reply 19
Sure it is, but you must have done SOMETHING in those two years which will make you a better applicant?

well my first year was helpful because i did a year in the course that i'm reapplying for now but i don't know how to work that into my ps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending