The Student Room Group

Andrea Leadsom quits Prime Minister race

Scroll to see replies

She made that ludicrous mother comment, suicide. She wasn't up to it. It's very clear May is the person for the job.
Original post by Captain Jack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36763208

This really is an exciting non-stop roller coaster at the moment. Politics has never been so exciting!

Do you like phoenix wright? :biggrin:
Original post by Craig1998
The leave campaigners don't want to clean up the mess this country made by Brexit. Absolute ******** how each one of the most prominent Conservative Brexiters have said no to leadership of the country.

Precisely! Still - although I don't think Theresa is perfect, I know she won't let us leave the single market and hopefully make sure we make the best out of this terrible decision made by a misinformed electorate. Maybe this country isn't doomed after all.

Did Theresa May say she wants Article 50 invoked as soon as possible, or is she in no rush? I can't quite remember what she had to say about it.
Original post by tanyapotter
Precisely! Still - although I don't think Theresa is perfect, I know she won't let us leave the single market and hopefully make sure we make the best out of this terrible decision made by a misinformed electorate. Maybe this country isn't doomed after all.

Did Theresa May say she wants Article 50 invoked as soon as possible, or is she in no rush? I can't quite remember what she had to say about it.

By 2017 and everyone knows she is a secret leaver anyway just like corbyn and javid

Posted from TSR Mobile
man supported Andrea Leadsom

This really is an exciting non-stop roller coaster at the moment. Politics has never been so exciting!

It's certainly turbulent. Let's remember though that the old Chinese saying, "may you live in interesting times" was meant as a curse. :rolleyes:

I'm relieved that it was all too much for Leadsom as I thought she was a terrible candidate for the country. Theresa May will still present many problems but she is less ideologically fixated than Cameron and Osborne were, so there could be an improvement in national policy. I also think that she can produce a good deal with the EU, although my preference would be a period of reflection, a renegotiation and a new referendum based on new terms.
Reply 27
Interesting watching how divides are being dealt with in the Conservative party, compared to Labour. Gove has just fully endorsed May, stating she needs to be PM ASAP. Reminds me of a quote from American politics, Democrat voters fall in Love, Republicans fall in line, not so applicable to their politics now, but certainly ours.
Rofl

What was the point of Cameron resigning then? replace a democratically elected Remainer with a non-democratically elected Remainer?
Original post by paul514
By 2017 and everyone knows she is a secret leaver anyway just like corbyn and javid

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's interesting that UKIP's real power, their top donor, thinks that she's a Remainer.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-conservative-leadership-contest-brexit-next-prime-minister-leave-eu-arron-banks-a7129436.html

The politics of the situation point her towards a heavily revised Remain in my opinion, which they will sell as Brexit - basically retaining all current features of membership without a presence in Brussels.
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bitter that Boris Johnson and Michael Gove were secret remainers, are we?

In any case, she hasn't said she's going to stop the Brexit. She will carry out the "democratic" instruction of the British people - I'm hardly thinking Theresa May as PM means no more Brexit. But as a remain voter, she understands that what we've done is a mistake, and that kind of awareness - rather than blind hope and patriotism - is what is going to push our country forward.
Original post by tanyapotter
Bitter that Boris Johnson and Michael Gove were secret remainers, are we?

In any case, she hasn't said she's going to stop the Brexit. She will carry out the "democratic" instruction of the British people - I'm hardly thinking Theresa May as PM means no more Brexit. But as a remain voter, she understands that what we've done is a mistake, and that kind of awareness - rather than blind hope and patriotism - is what is going to push our country forward.

Did you see Boris talking in Parliament the other day about the need to not frighten EU citizens living here and UK citizens living in the EU? He sounded like he was a 100% Remainer. What an outrageous cheek he has, if there was a Nobel Prize for Hypocrisy, he would be front runner.
Original post by Aj12
Interesting watching how divides are being dealt with in the Conservative party, compared to Labour. Gove has just fully endorsed May, stating she needs to be PM ASAP. Reminds me of a quote from American politics, Democrat voters fall in Love, Republicans fall in line, not so applicable to their politics now, but certainly ours.

This sort of think makes me even more impressed with Blair, Mandelson et Al in managing to give labour tory discipline. Regardless of whether you liked their policies they were an organised, efficient opposition party able to make and implement change for the better.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Did you see Boris talking in Parliament the other day about the need to not frighten EU citizens living here and UK citizens living in the EU? He sounded like he was a 100% Remainer. What an outrageous cheek he has, if there was a Nobel Prize for Hypocrisy, he would be front runner.

If only he had put so much energy and conviction into supporting the remain campaign instead of pretending to support the leave campaign, maybe this wouldn't have happened. This is probably the biggest backfire of any British politician's career in history.
[QUOTE=Fullofsurprises;66366720]Did you see Boris talking in Parliament the other day about the need to not frighten EU citizens living here and UK citizens living in the EU? He sounded like he was a 100% Remainer. What an outrageous cheek he has, if there was a Nobel Prize for Hypocrisy, he would be front runner.

That does not mean he is a remainer. He is trying to reassure people. Maybe you need to go back to school instead of making false assumptions.
Original post by Naveed-7
That does not mean he is a remainer. He is trying to reassure people. Maybe you need to go back to school instead of making false assumptions.

My answer is to quote Kipling.

I could not dig; I dared not rob:
Therefore I lied to please the mob.
Now all my lies are proved untrue
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Theresa May will still present many problems but she is less ideologically fixated than Cameron and Osborne were, so there could be an improvement in national policy.

First time I've ever heard Cameron called 'ideologically fixated' - the man is widely recognised as a political opportunist.

His premiership and rise to power have been defined completely by his jumping on the austerity bandwagon, then the 'modernisation' of the Tory brand, gay marriage, culminating in an EU referendum, of course.

If you want ideologically fixated, look to IDS, Gove, Corbyn, Abbott....

SS
"Mrs Leadsom apologised to Mrs May on Monday after suggesting in a weekend newspaper interview that being a mother made her a better candidate for the job." She gave abuse, but couldn't take it - at least she had the integrity to acknowledge her faults and rectify them.
I wonder if there will be more calls for a GE now, considering now even the 150,000 Conservative members didn't vote for May :tongue:

I'm glad it's gonna be May either way.

You aren't wrong, we are witnessing history being made daily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending